Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Looking for a solidly middle class community with a diverse racial mixture, walkable amenities, including supermarkets, cleaners, laundry, drug stores, parks/beach, restaurants, shops, movie theatres, and most importantly, public transportation options. If anyone knows Astoria or Jackson Heights, Queens, that's what I have in mind.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Hi,

Looking for a solidly middle class community with a diverse racial mixture, walkable amenities, including supermarkets, cleaners, laundry, drug stores, parks/beach, restaurants, shops, movie theatres, and most importantly, public transportation options. If anyone knows Astoria or Jackson Heights, Queens, that's what I have in mind.

Thanks!
Do you know the zip codes for those places in Queens? If you plug those into the C-D search, print out your information and then compare with LA zips.

Since neighborhoods themselves are not broken out with such data as you show up top, zip codes are the best way to START.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i'd check out the Palms neighborhood in LA. it's still nothing like astoria from my experiences, but generally has what you're looking for. it's not the most exciting neighborhood, but is nearby many more interesting places and is not too far from the beach (~3 miles) and many bus lines run through the area.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM

116 posts, read 251,486 times
Hello! I can probably help. I was born and raised in Jamaica, Queens.

I lived in LA for a while, now I'm in San Diego.

I lived in Hollywood right on Cherokee and Hollywood Blvd, worked in Century City.

If you want to replicate Astoria, you probably want to live in West LA. It even has the pot holes to make you feel more at home. Unfortunately, many other people want to live in West LA, and it can be very expensive, plus all the UCLA students.

You are going to have to make some big compromises unless your budget is enormous. You use the phrase "middle class" then describe some things somewhat out of reach for a middle class budget in LA.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Let's say I could spend about $2,200 per month for a 1 bdrm apartment. Is there a section of West LA that isn't completely populated by students? No problem with them but I'd like some variety in terms of age.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Look at West Hollywood.

Caveat: I wouldn't come here looking for NY. You won't find it.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
if i had that much for rent i would live in santa monica, preferably in the ocean park neighborhood. i used to live there and when friends from astoria came to visit they really liked it too. fyi, you're probably going to want to get a car no matter where you choose to live. unless you're an avid urban cyclist, have no problems waiting for buses, or are super 'green', a car (or some sort of vehicle like a motorcycle/scooter) will be a necessity.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
The areas with the most diversity, walkability, great public transportation, and general streetlife tend not to be the solidly middle class areas in LA. There are definitely walkable middle class neighborhoods, and there are definitely walkable, bustling, diverse neighborhoods with lots of amenities, but they don't overlap as much.

You might want also want to consider somewhere like parts of Pasadena (along Colorado Blvd; good bus and light rail access), although it's not near the beach. West Hollywood is a very good suggestion, but only has bus access; the bus service is good, but no subway (if that matters).

Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
you might like downtown long beach

Old 03-08-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Look at West Hollywood.

Caveat: I wouldn't come here looking for NY. You won't find it.
Thanks for the tip. I'm not looking for NY. It's on steroids. I still want an urban environment but without all the hype. LA is on the list but I'm also thinking about New Orleans, Houston, or Austin.

BTW, I do have a car but I enjoy bike riding and would have no problem biking to get around. Proximity to the beach isn't terribly important but I would like to have parks, though. Being on a subway or light rail might be a good idea.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles