Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 AM

4 posts, read 7,926 times

Advertisements

So my parents illegally rented out their pool house to help out the house payments and it's turned out to be a huge mess.
Information on the pool house: bathroom (sink, toilet and shower), outside sink, main room, a side room about the size of a big closet
Two doors as well as a a sliding door.

The pool house is located on the back of the property behind the pool. Initially my parents didn't know it was against the law to rent out the pool house until they posted an ad for a new tenant once the old tenant moved out. The city alerted them that they cannot do that. When we first moved into the house a tenant had been living there from the previous owner.

My mom's co-worker was looking for a place and my mom thought that this would be a good opportunity to make a little extra cash and help out. She asked for 700 a month that's with utilities included and she threw in some furniture as well. They live in a nice neighborhood about 35 minutes away from L.A. This is where it gets complicated. The new tenant is quite the character. When she first moved in, it wasn't too bad. She asked that our dogs be tied up when she came and left for work. Then she asked they be tied up at all times unless we were outside present. Slowly she started to make demands threatening to not make payments if we didn't comply. Such as fixing a walkway or cleaning the backyard and then it moved on to providing air conditioning and the list kept growing from there. When my parents got angry she threatened to alert the officials about them renting out the pool house illegally and for tax evasion. She knew when she moved in that we were renting the pool house illegally and she started to use that against them. They got scared and did everything she asked. I didn't know about any of this until recently my dad told me that she was getting out of control. The roof was slighty leaking due to the heavy rain and she demanded it be fixed. She had alot of luggage in the room and so my dad was hesitant but she withheld rent so he agreed to fix it. She is now stating that she isn't going to pay rent at all and that if they kicked her out that she would alert the authorities. She put her own lock on the door and won't let them look inside and she won't open the door to talk.

My parents are not sure what they can do that this point. Ideally my parents would like her to leave but she doesn't seem like she'd go quietly. Legally is there anything we can do? They are regretting renting out the pool house and just want her to leave (they were just having a really hard time financially, both me and my sister are still in college and can't really help out.) They've already offered to pay the full cost of moving but she isn't budging.

P.S. I know what my parents did was illegal but I think it is understandable as well. She yells at my mom and dad both routinely and I am so angry but I don't want to approach the situation until I know exactly what my options are.

I know this was really long and I thank you for reading!!!

Last edited by golden213; 03-10-2010 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 AM

2,031 posts, read 3,210,658 times
I don't really have any advice because there really isn't anything they can do unless they get in trouble. Maybe it's worth it though to get that lady out of there...What a tough situation to be in. I feel for your parents!!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 6,783 times
Hey ya,
so sorry about the tenant, only takes one to ruin it for everyone else.
I can say this depending on how long she has been there, but if you get your parents to to give ehr the boot, and tell her to move.IF she decides that she wants to take it further, then just simply say she was staying there (without paying rent). Your mom can always say she was helping the woman out as she need a place to stay for a few weeks to get herself sorted out.
provided there is no contract then you have not broken the law, if no contract exsits she (tenant) will have a hard time proving what your duties as a landlord are.
But if the tenant has rental receipts for payment she made at the start, that could be a little problem. However, it is better to get her out now before it goes on even further and she becomes more demanding.
good luck.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:41 AM

9,212 posts, read 14,763,261 times
Your parents need to start a formal eviction process right away. Also, they need to go see a lawyer- there may be a legal aid office in your city if they can't afford an attorney. Just one letter signed by an attorney can sometimes work wonders and right now the tenant thinks your parents are powerless.

They will have to ignore the ramifications of renting the place illegally- for now- and just concentrate on getting her out. If she's fairly broke too, she probably won't sue. Regardless of the ultimate outcome, they'll be much happier with her out of their lives.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,251 times
"Pacific Heights" should be required watching before anyone even considers renting out their property.

Where in the world do these people come from?? What a low-life-
I'd cut the utilities to the house- electric- water- etc-or shine a light in her window all night- or let the dogs poop on the doorstep- or put tacks in her driveway-or- (this is a great one)!!.....................WINDCHIMES!!

Have your dad start a loud smelly project using hot tar.

I'll think of some more while I'm at the gym- good luck to you and your parents

Old 03-10-2010, 07:51 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,051,768 times
Tell them to call her bluff and toss her out on her ass.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:56 AM

17 posts, read 41,488 times
When she goes out somewhere dismantle the place. Nothing for her to go back to.

Last edited by rkedz; 03-10-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 AM

206 posts, read 414,759 times
What she is doing is blackmail. Now your folks are in a tough position, because they already were told by the city not to rent out. But still this is blackmail. I think get a legal aid, explain the situation and if all else fails, then get some legal opinion to go to the authorities. What is the worst you face-a fine? Better than living with this creature.. You may not have to-just telling her that you have decided to turn yourself in to the authorities and explain that you are going to turn the tenant in too and the fact that she is blackmailing you might just do the trick.

Better get some legal help though and get your ducks in a row-this looks like the type that can sue and the more you let her stay, the more demanding she becomes . Get her out quickly.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:25 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,251 times
and this "lady" still works with your mom? How's that working? How bout when she's at work get all her stuff out of the pool house and remove the doors- throw in a couple of chickens for good measure?

or somehow get the fire dept involved so they will get her out- I would think you'd have to be careful with that one though- no false alarms or anything- just maybe call and say the alarm is going off and the tenant locked the door. .

Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM

110 posts, read 345,847 times
Can they change the locks while she is out? Put her stuff in storage, pay a month in advance, hand her the storage key and say goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles