Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
lol I suggested the amtrak if he couldn't afford a plane ticket. If he is serious about a music career, he will probably need to visit California more than a couple of times a year. Amtrak is more affordable. I think at the moment, amtrak tickets from austin to Cali runs about $150-200 and even cheaper if you pay in advance. $200 is way better than $500 (the average cost for a plane ticket from Austin to any state).
But people who live outside of LA and have to go there for these purposes are going to be on a time crunch, which is why I thought the Amtrak suggestion was insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 12:35 PM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
I agree, however, having the largest public transportation doesn't make it the best. LA's PT is very flawed, and if you ask anyone in LA, they will tell you; A car is needed in LA. How would he make it to gigs or to meetings for networking purposes? LA is so spread out, that the bus could take two hours just to go up the road and around the corner. I rather the OP live out of his car (which a lot of musicians do btw), than to have a place to live with no car.
Exactly. Metro has built an extensive network, but that doesn't mean it makes things easy to live without a car in LA.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The way things are going, soon there will be no major labels in L.A.

And eventually there will be no major labels anywhere.
Any Way You Slice It, Los Angeles is the Music Capital of the US - Facts & Figures - Curbed LA

Musicians still flock to Los Angeles, with good reason.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM
PDF

Well we do have the entertainment industry here. But if City-Data is anything to go by, musicians are still flocking to other cities across the country as well.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Well we do have the entertainment industry here. But if City-Data is anything to go by, musicians are still flocking to other cities across the country as well.
But nowhere more than here.

"Lacking in every respect" my ***.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:52 AM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
I've never understood why anyone considers Austin liberal, besides being liberal by Texas standards. Most public universities in any state are liberal in & around campus. All of the right-wing legislation Texas is known for still goes through Austin.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That article uses 2007 data, which is virtually irrelevant considering everything that has occurred in the intervening years.

The music industry is in its death throes right now.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:34 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
According to this week's issue of Billboard, the best city for musicians to live in when you combine salary and availability of jobs is Nashville, regardless of the type of music you'd be interested in; the cost of living is substantially lower in Music City with a much higher quality of life than LA has, and it's not even close.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
According to this week's issue of Billboard, the best city for musicians to live in when you combine salary and availability of jobs is Nashville, regardless of the type of music you'd be interested in; the cost of living is substantially lower in Music City with a much higher quality of life than LA has, and it's not even close.
I can believe that. The music industry is leaving the western US and is becoming concentrated in NYC and Nashville. Nashville has a much lower cost of living than NYC does, so I could see the attraction of living there.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I can believe that. The music industry is leaving the western US and is becoming concentrated in NYC and Nashville. Nashville has a much lower cost of living than NYC does, so I could see the attraction of living there.
Swing and a miss:

The Where of 2012's Top Music - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

"L.A. dominates, being home to artists with nearly a third of the songs (30 songs from 17 artists) on the list, including massively popular acts like Maroon 5, Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Bruno Mars, to name just a few. Nashville is second with 13 tracks (from 10 artists)...Miami and New York tie for fifth with five."

This is kinda important too: "The list is based on where artists currently live and work, not where they originally hail from."

There's a second list that gauges critical accolades, and L.A. just misses the top spot there as well (behind NYC). L.A. is easily the most well-rounded city in terms of commercially and critically acclaimed artists. If it is declining as a music capital, the artists haven't received the memo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles