U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 AM

16 posts, read 24,475 times
Default Area near Hollywood & Western

Is the area around Hollywood & Western safe, somewhat safe, or not so safe?

I am looking at apartments in the area and so far they seem nice, but the rents appear quite low compared to just a few miles away.

Why are the rents so low here in comparison?

Anything I should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:51 AM

938 posts, read 2,414,494 times
Because it's East Hollywood and a few miles away you're in prime Los Feliz or prime Hollywood.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:36 PM

9,946 posts, read 13,575,047 times
On the safety thing: in the middle. Not as safe as Los Feliz or the nicer parts of Hollywood (and also not as expensive), but not the worst part of town, either. Some blocks are nicer than others.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Thanks! Specifically I am interested in the square that is Hollywood, Western, Fountain, and Normandie. I found several complexes in that area (Hobart Street) that I was interested in. Any info on Hobart?

I've lived in several large cities and grew up in one, so I am just curious how it would stack up.

Is it safe enough to walk into Hollywood from here?

Old 03-13-2010, 07:28 PM

3,114 posts, read 4,335,077 times
You really need to go check out the building first. Not everyone's cup of tea IMO. Some of the buildings are fine. Some are not so nice. Not an area to walk around in after dark, and not necessarily so great evey during the day, but probably not a problem.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:28 PM

9,946 posts, read 13,575,047 times
The walk from there to central Hollywood is safe enough during the day (don't know about night), but rather uninspiring (for lack of better word). I used to get off the bus at Western on the way home from work to do my grocery shopping, then just hopped on the next bus to Hollywood. (there's also subway access, but with that short distance the bus was faster/easier) They come all the time so it was easier and more pleasant than the stretch there that crosses over the freeway.

I don't know about Hobart specifically. The stretch along Hollywood Blvd there has a lot going on, and at least you'll be guaranteed easy access to some great food.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Hmmm good to know. I guess I'll have to check it out before I make a final decision. It's just so convenient to downtown, the valley (compared to other commutes), and Hollywood.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:19 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,106,174 times
I used to visit that area quite often for the best and most affordable Thai food I've ever had (haven't found anything in the Bay Area that comes close). Even at night, I felt that the area was quite safe. Maybe not the cleanest neighborhood in the city, and definitely a little gritty, but I never felt in danger when I was there.

The great thing is the location, as you mentioned. The Red Line gives you such easy access to Hollywood, Los Feliz, Universal Studios (if you like that sort of thing ), and Downtown, where of course you can connect to other lines taking you to Long Beach, Pasadena, and soon Culver City.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,498 times
It is a fine area. Like anywhere else you have to be smart. The Businesses that are in the area are nice but it's the rundown apartment buildings that make it look more gritty. Red Corner Asia in Thai town, Palms Thai, Delancey, Ralph's, Home Depot, the Bar are all fun places to go in that hood' but I prefer to live in West Hollywood. I used to live in the Hollywood Dell and loved that too. keep askin' - When I moved to LA, I was commuting from San Diego and I would ask everybody I met in LA "how do you like LA?" then I would ask "How do you like your neighborhood?" Two answers that went together- If you loved your neighborhood, you loved LA-If you hated your hood, you hated LA-
find a great neighborhood-there are many deals in LA put paying a little more to be in a neighborhood you really like is worth it's weight. good luck!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:37 AM

736 posts, read 1,288,126 times
I don't want to be sensational but the corner of Western and Hollywood was the site of a nortorious gang shooting from a local fleabag apartment complex, circa 1992. See the link.

Gang Suspects Shoot at Autos From Rooftop : Violence: Bullets fired from Hollywood apartment wound two motorists, one critically. Police are hampered because fearful tenants are unwilling to help. - Los Angeles Times

That said, this was NEARLY 20 years ago when GANG VIOLENCE was FAR MORE widespread and troublesome ACROSS THE ENTIRE CITY. There has also been a lot revitalization in that specific area along with greater efforts by the LAPD to clean up that intersection.

I think the advice you've heard so far is very good. Pick a GOOD building and you would be fine. Just recognize that this is NOT "upscale" Hollwyood (think Hollywood/Vine). Of course, if you are as old as I am, you'd recognize using the term "upscale" and Hollywood in the same sentence USED to be an oxymoron.

I hope I don't scare you off...b/c back in 1992 there was NO red line at that intersection, the Ralph's shopping center was NOT there, and the apartements that are now above the red line station were NOT there either. So really that entire interesection has been re-created and re-energized over the past 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles