Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

The "Other Race" category is a box that a lot of Latinos check, because some believe that Latino is not white and is it's own race.

The census asks if one is Hispanic or Latino, and it's a yes or no question. The next question asks for race, of which "Hispanic or Latino" is not an option (white, black, Asian, Native American, or other). Most Latinos check "white" or "other".

If one looks deeper into the census stats, they'll probably see something like 30-40% white for East Los. That's why C-D provides the "White non-Hispanic" statistic, which subtracts Hispanic whites to show how many people are what could be deemed "regular whites", which would include White Americans and whites from other non-Hispanic nations. I thought everybody knew that.

To the matter and hand, is the OP's question asking if one could live in East Los if they weren't Latino, or if they could live in East Los due to the crime?

There are people that aren't Latino that live in East Los. We need to ask them. If the question is unrelated to crime, couldn't we ask how Latinos manage to live in 95% white neighborhoods?

If it is related to crime, then the answer should be obvious. But expecting to a victim of a crime just because one is not Latino is borderline ridiculous. Obviously that 4% that lives there manages to survive somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 10:18 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
To the OP, You can live wherever you choose to live. I love the North Oxnard area. For us this is the place. Are you asking because you are considering a move there?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
?

If it is related to crime, then the answer should be obvious. But expecting to a victim of a crime just because one is not Latino is borderline ridiculous. Obviously that 4% that lives there manages to survive somehow.
I'd really guess it's less than 4% non latino in East LA. My grandmother passed away about 10 years ago and was the last caucasian person I knew of living in East LA. Empirical evidence, I know, but aside from the family ties I had cause to visit parts of East LA many times, particularly the area around Indiana/Whitter and the area near Arizona/Whittier. I can't remember ever seeing a non latino.

If there really is as significant a non latino population as 4%, I'm guessing its people in City Terrace(if that is actually counted as East LA) and a significant amount of asians closer to ELAC.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I am half Mexican and wouldn't live there, no way.

Santa Ana and Stockton seem like Disney Village compared to East LA.
Santa Ana isn't that bad, but it's not that much better than East L.A. A lot of poor hispanics with children who grow into gang culture live in Santa Ana. I saw a few large groups of wannabe gangstas' hanging out at South Coast Plaza on Bristol Street only a few days ago. In the parking lots, next to Bloomingdales, VONS, and the CVS. Such a nice area during the day, ruined by hispanic gangs during the night.

I'm getting really tired of them ruining even the nice neighborhoods.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:36 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,577 times
Stockton crime is pretty bad, but I have always been under the impression that East LA has a relatively low crime rate. One that is lower than that of the city of Los Angeles and the National Average. I know it is highly hispanic and home to a large number of gangs, but crime isn't very bad as people like to claim. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I'd really guess it's less than 4% non latino in East LA. My grandmother passed away about 10 years ago and was the last caucasian person I knew of living in East LA. Empirical evidence, I know, but aside from the family ties I had cause to visit parts of East LA many times, particularly the area around Indiana/Whitter and the area near Arizona/Whittier. I can't remember ever seeing a non latino.

If there really is as significant a non latino population as 4%, I'm guessing its people in City Terrace(if that is actually counted as East LA) and a significant amount of asians closer to ELAC.
I have a non-Latino white friend who lives in Lincoln Heights and has had no problems.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Just the facts that the original question was asked and this thread exsists about says it all!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Stockton crime is pretty bad, but I have always been under the impression that East LA has a relatively low crime rate. One that is lower than that of the city of Los Angeles and the National Average. I know it is highly hispanic and home to a large number of gangs, but crime isn't very bad as people like to claim. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I am under this impression as well. Santa Ana is a good example of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

The area centered on Montebello Golf Course, south of the 60, is 9.5% white and 7.3% Asian. Most of this area is in Montebello, but a couple of blocks are in East Los.

The area centered on East Los Angeles College is 18.8% Asian (11.4% Japanese). Some of this area overlaps with Monterey Park.

The area immediately SW of I-10/I-710 is 2.6% Asian and 2.5% white.

http://www.factfinder.census.gov/ser...00253|sf=N|sg=

These numbers are all from 2000, so who knows how they've changed since then. I guess we'll find out in a year or so.

Anybody want to take a stab at this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar
If the question is unrelated to crime, couldn't we ask how Latinos manage to live in 95% white neighborhoods?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:42 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Have any of you been in East Los Angeles lately? I was through there today... it is like a different city from two years ago. It appeared much cleaner and more-prosperous on Atlantic. Is this due to the Gold Line, or another phenomenon?

Atlantic through East Los Angeles, at least at first impression, looks better than York through Highland Park.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:52 PM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
I'd live in the parts of Boyle Heights closest to DTLA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles