U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
 
2 posts, read 99,144 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

Hi there,
I like my old license plate number,but I sold my old car. I bought another car.
Can I transfer my old license plate to my new car.
Is there any rules for this from DMV.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
425 posts, read 1,038,219 times
Reputation: 279
From the DMV website:

Most vehicles have sequentially issued "standard" license plates that remain with the vehicle when ownership is transferred. If the license plate is a special interest or personalized license plate, you must decide if you want to retain the plate for use on another vehicle, or release your interest in the plate. Complete a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17)(PDF) or a Special License Plate Application (REG 17A)(PDF) indicating your retention or release of the special plate and give the form to the buyer.

How to Change Vehicle Ownership
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 12:13 AM
 
2 posts, read 99,144 times
Reputation: 41
My new car has license plate on it.But I really like the old number.
Can I still transfer it to the new car.
My old license plate is just ordinary plate not special interest plate can I still fill in the form [URL="http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg17.pdf"]Special Interest License Plate Application [/URL]?
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 AM
 
1,016 posts, read 466,345 times
Reputation: 171
You should contact the DMV and not rely on this site for a answer to such a question... there you will be giving one answer and the correct one so you dont find yourself in trouble.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
425 posts, read 1,038,219 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
You should contact the DMV and not rely on this site for a answer to such a question... there you will be giving one answer and the correct one so you dont find yourself in trouble.
I agree with this, although the information I provided was from the DMV website and it doesn't seem like that's possible, but who knows. Like you said, it's best to talk to the DMV about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Pomona
1,955 posts, read 5,431,092 times
Reputation: 1417
Regular issued plate = no on transferring; it stays with the car.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
425 posts, read 1,038,219 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Regular issued plate = no on transferring; it stays with the car.
That's what I thought, especially given the information from the DMV website.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
425 posts, read 1,038,219 times
Reputation: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegene View Post
My new car has license plate on it.But I really like the old number.
Can I still transfer it to the new car.
My old license plate is just ordinary plate not special interest plate can I still fill in the form Special Interest License Plate Application ?
Thanks.


You have regular plates. That form is for Special Interest license plates, which you say your plates are not. The answer from the DMV seems to lean towards no, you can't keep them. I would call the DMV to double check, but it appears you cannot keep them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 12:23 PM
 
7 posts, read 48,156 times
Reputation: 16
well let me ask a question. i got a car from my mom, ok. she had driven the car for years. my daughter went into another town, in the car. got stopped, got a ticket for switched tag. it happended at the court house, when my mom purchased her tag, some kinda way, she ended
up with my brothers tag and i guess he hers. but it wasnt noticed until my daughter got stopped
by a police office following her. honestly, i had no idea. i tried to explain this to the court judge, but he told me he didnt wand to hear it. why do judges do that? i ended up paying OVER 300.00 to get her out of jail, to get her licsenses back, court cost, etc. i had called the court house, tag division, where they issued the tag, but it didnt matter to the judge presiding over the cases that day
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: SLC, UT, Ketchum, ID, Southern Cal.
3,162 posts, read 4,663,624 times
Reputation: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannywommann View Post
well let me ask a question. i got a car from my mom, ok. she had driven the car for years. my daughter went into another town, in the car. got stopped, got a ticket for switched tag. it happended at the court house, when my mom purchased her tag, some kinda way, she ended
up with my brothers tag and i guess he hers. but it wasnt noticed until my daughter got stopped
by a police office following her. honestly, i had no idea. i tried to explain this to the court judge, but he told me he didnt wand to hear it. why do judges do that? i ended up paying OVER 300.00 to get her out of jail, to get her licsenses back, court cost, etc. i had called the court house, tag division, where they issued the tag, but it didnt matter to the judge presiding over the cases that day
what is the question?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top