Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM

4,583 posts, read 4,272,147 times

Advertisements

I had a pact with Theresa when we were teens in the 70's that we would get a van and drive to California, because at that time, it seemed the coolest place to be. *Everyone on the east coast had dreams about being on the west coast.
I had forgotten about our pact and ended up here.
Funny how we change but it did turn out to be a pretty cool place.
I wonder if she made it????

(*well it seemed like everyone)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
i want to move to LA because it fits my style and personality a lot more than where i'm at (san antonio). i went to LA my very first time last summer and absolutely loved it. it's happened before where i visit a city (ex: NYC) and love it but then change my mind a second visit. i just got back from LA a few days ago, and had another great trip. i'm a recent college graduate, and want to experience more what this city has to offer. the economy is a bad, taxes high etc. but i look forward to eventually making my move within a year after i have more saved, and build a few more connections and network with someone i can become employed with.

opinions on cities all over the country will vary. idk why so many are so negative about california, but i think it's a great state, nice people, and fits the lifestyle i want to live.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
opinions on cities all over the country will vary. idk why so many are so negative about california, but i think it's a great state, nice people, and fits the lifestyle i want to live.
The negative opinions come from people who have lived here for years or decades. The positives come from people who've visited, just got here, or saw it in a movie or TV show.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Because New York isn't for everyone and Los Angeles gives folks from smaller cities & towns a different kind of big city lifestyle.

Los Angeles is a great city for young people willing to try new things and take risks. If you can make it here, you can make it almost everywhere in the world. Great for the resume.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
The cost of living and traffic are 2 reasons why you shouldn't move here!
If you can buy a home with good schools and you can find this home within a reasonable (one bladder distance) commute, then it is a great place to live. Thing is though, both of these are pretty tough to do.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
I don't get how so many people say they want to move to CA etc... But when a native Californian like myself moves out of the state, all of the sudden there is a dislike for Californians? So, CA as a place is ok, but people from this place living anywhere else are not welcome? But it's ok to move to the state and be surrounded by Californians? I don't get it. I have to apologize for being where I'm from.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:55 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
For everyone who wants to move to CA it seems that there's someone else who hates the state. I knew I liked CA, but thought I'd hate LA; turned out I was wrong (loved both CA as a whole -- although not every place in it -- as well as loved LA). We moved to LA because of a job opportunity. We left because of the choice of a transfer or a lost job, and in this economy we didn't want to take the risk. I still love LA, though, and would be happy to move back if the opportunity were there.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I went and read some of your other posts Mr. Fantastic and it was hard to find anything that you stated that was very Fantastic. Many of them seemed a tad racist if you ask me. Apparently the entire state is run by some gang, mafia type or some other kind of out to get you race. What is up with that? Have you had a hard time making it on your own and need someone to point the finger at? Maybe you are scared of all the people that come to this great state from other places around the nation or other nations around the globe and think that they are going to take some opportunity away from you. This I know, that we the people make our own opportunities and if you want to make it in life, the need to put down other nationalities or people is not going to help your cause.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:29 AM

158 posts, read 660,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I wish a lot of you would stop moving here.
Go **** yourself.

This is America. I'll move anywhere I want.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I went and read some of your other posts Mr. Fantastic and it was hard to find anything that you stated that was very Fantastic. Many of them seemed a tad racist if you ask me. Apparently the entire state is run by some gang, mafia type or some other kind of out to get you race. What is up with that? Have you had a hard time making it on your own and need someone to point the finger at? Maybe you are scared of all the people that come to this great state from other places around the nation or other nations around the globe and think that they are going to take some opportunity away from you. This I know, that we the people make our own opportunities and if you want to make it in life, the need to put down other nationalities or people is not going to help your cause.
I think you are easily offended, and probably need to rethink why you are so insecure about yourself.

You have spent a lot of time thinking about me, that's great. I'm obviously important enough for you to write an entire paragraph about. The sentiment is not shared. Good day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles