U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 AM

561 posts, read 420,416 times
One big reason I would want to live in LA is weather. Within the last month I had to endure 30 inches of snow. Shoveling that much snow is no easy task and it pretty much ruins your plans for the day as you are stuck indoors unless you live in a place like NYC with a handy-dandy subway. For those who have never had to shovel snow let me paint you a picture.

Snow starts coming down lightly at around 12 am

By 6 am (when you might be getting up or making your way to work) there is already 12 inches on the ground. If you expect to get out of your driveway or parking spot you will have to shovel.
Snow comes in different forms. It can be very small flakes and very easy to shovel, or it can be very wet and heavy. Generally speaking, the wet and heavy snow is harder to shovel. There will be many advisory's to take breaks often when shoveling snow as this is one of the more extreme forms of exercise.
You're at your parking spot (You don't have a garage) and there is 12 inches on the ground as well as twice that pushed up against your car by the snow plows which generally pass every few minutes. Snow plow snow is much heavier as it is compacted by the plow.
It's 45 minutes later and you are finally out of your spot. You are actually on your way to work. You skipped coffee, breakfast and showering so you could get to work on time. You find out that the office is closed today due to the weather! You go back home only to find someone else in the spot you just vacated. You look for other spots but they all have garbage barrels in them. If you park there you run the risk of having your car vandalized (yes, it has happened.). Finding parking can be an adventure in weather like this.

This will continue for the next month, generally depending on how often the mercury gets to 40 degrees. In my experience snow will not melt in anything less then that.

If you own a house and are not going to work that day, then you can expect to shovel multiple times in a snow storm like this. The reason for this is that it is so much easier to shovel 2 to 6 inches of snow three times during the course of a snow storm then it will be to shovel 30 inches after said snow is done (especially if it was wet and heavy).

I know what many of you will say, get a snow blower. And yes, you are right it makes the job much easier, but this winter I just didn't have an extra $500 to $800 to blow on a snow blower.

I would just prefer to move to some place warm where there are beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,925,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawn View Post
"Stay out of Malibu Lebowski! Stay out of Malibu, deadbeat!!"

I think that mr Fantastic is just mr Sarcastic.... stirring the pot a little... though i do love reading an online ruckus

To Mr Bungle... I got some friends here in Chi from Cali, and I happen to love my people who were raised in CA... they seem to bring the "right-on man", sunny attitude with them wherever they go (even the couple of more street/thuggish people i know carry that attitude). It seems that someone unfortunately has given you a hostile impression of the opinions of CA natives in other cities!
Cheers for the Lebowski reference!

Yes, I've been a victim of negativity due to certain CA stereotypes. It sucks, but c'est la vie. The positives do outweigh the negatives. The funny part is that I see so many people here (Dallas) that probably watch too much TV and have taken the CA stereotype (blonde hair, $300 jeans, Range Rover, etc) and ran with it! I can't believe how many malls are in a 15 mile radius! Out here though instead of the ditzy valley girl, it's the pageant queen. which could be worse lol!

I think part of it for me was that this is my first time living outside CA and I'm getting used to it. I may have taken some of the negative stereotype comments to heart. I have some of my own! There are stereotypes everywhere. A lot of my friends kept saying, "You're moving to TX? Why!? Nothing but steers n' *****s there!" ok, come on guys!

But still, in defense of the "Why do people want to move to L.A. so bad?" question, I don't think there are many other places in the world where people have ridiculous reasons to support their dream of living somewhere. You want to move to L.A. because a 50 year old dead pedophile former singer died here? Why? What benefits do you get from that? 9.75% sales tax and a mayor who would rather be in foreign countries? And he lived in Santa Barbara/ Santa Ynez anyways! There is nothing out there. He never left his house. It's not like you're going to spend the rest of your life going somewhere and feeling like you walked in his footsteps.
L.A. is over fantasized in TV and movies. The show Entourage is a perfect example of that. There are some great benefits to living in L.A. But unless you're single and making $100k a year, it's tough as hell and all the fun stuff you want to do because you saw it in a movie or on a TV show, costs money. Which you probably won't have much of. That's all I'm saying.

I don't see people wanting to move to Fargo, ND because a movie was made about the place.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:17 AM

5,097 posts, read 9,995,671 times
This is a great post! It's exactly why I haven't moved elsewhere. Yes, I realize there are other areas of the country that don't get snow, but what do they get? Hurricanes! No thanks. I'll stay here and take my chances with earthquakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
One big reason I would want to live in LA is weather. Within the last month I had to endure 30 inches of snow. Shoveling that much snow is no easy task and it pretty much ruins your plans for the day as you are stuck indoors unless you live in a place like NYC with a handy-dandy subway. For those who have never had to shovel snow let me paint you a picture.

Snow starts coming down lightly at around 12 am

By 6 am (when you might be getting up or making your way to work) there is already 12 inches on the ground. If you expect to get out of your driveway or parking spot you will have to shovel.
Snow comes in different forms. It can be very small flakes and very easy to shovel, or it can be very wet and heavy. Generally speaking, the wet and heavy snow is harder to shovel. There will be many advisory's to take breaks often when shoveling snow as this is one of the more extreme forms of exercise.
You're at your parking spot (You don't have a garage) and there is 12 inches on the ground as well as twice that pushed up against your car by the snow plows which generally pass every few minutes. Snow plow snow is much heavier as it is compacted by the plow.
It's 45 minutes later and you are finally out of your spot. You are actually on your way to work. You skipped coffee, breakfast and showering so you could get to work on time. You find out that the office is closed today due to the weather! You go back home only to find someone else in the spot you just vacated. You look for other spots but they all have garbage barrels in them. If you park there you run the risk of having your car vandalized (yes, it has happened.). Finding parking can be an adventure in weather like this.

This will continue for the next month, generally depending on how often the mercury gets to 40 degrees. In my experience snow will not melt in anything less then that.

If you own a house and are not going to work that day, then you can expect to shovel multiple times in a snow storm like this. The reason for this is that it is so much easier to shovel 2 to 6 inches of snow three times during the course of a snow storm then it will be to shovel 30 inches after said snow is done (especially if it was wet and heavy).

I know what many of you will say, get a snow blower. And yes, you are right it makes the job much easier, but this winter I just didn't have an extra $500 to $800 to blow on a snow blower.

I would just prefer to move to some place warm where there are beaches.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:22 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,621,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
This is a great post! It's exactly why I haven't moved elsewhere. Yes, I realize there are other areas of the country that don't get snow, but what do they get? Hurricanes! No thanks. I'll stay here and take my chances with earthquakes.
There's many places in the US where there's no snow, earthquakes or hurricanes like Nashville, where I'm moving. They have 4 very mild seasons (rarely does it snow and when it does, it doesn't stick). I know a family who moved there from Orange County and they told me this.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:04 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
There's many places in the US where there's no snow, earthquakes or hurricanes like Nashville, where I'm moving. They have 4 very mild seasons (rarely does it snow and when it does, it doesn't stick). I know a family who moved there from Orange County and they told me this.

Did they tell you it is gloomy, cold, gray, cloudy, rainy, and depressing from October to April?

Old 03-27-2010, 12:06 PM

11,727 posts, read 23,997,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did they tell you it is gloomy, cold, gray, cloudy, rainy, and depressing from October to April?
Maybe it doesn't bother them enough to mention it.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:30 PM

561 posts, read 420,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Another reason I'll move there is I just don't like cold weather. I like to be outside. You don't see very many people outside in the cold unless they have to be. I think it fosters a feeling of isolation that just is not present when the weather is warm and people are out and about.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:18 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,484,894 times
Not to belabor the point I made earlier but some people REALLY are obsessed with the weather out here. Not me. I could probably care less what the weather is. I don't consider it as important anymore. I am amazed at how so many people love the constant sunshine. No wonder this place is so crowded.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:35 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,759,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's the only place where you can have tattoos across your entire body and yet still work in a law office:

Ha ha ha! I only got as far as this post and already I must state why I want to live in L.A.

1. I agree with this. I feel I would fit in a lot more. I love tattoos, and it's hard to express myself over here in stuffy (IMO) Connecticut. I'm limited as to what I can do to myself, or else I'll be out of a job. I'd love to show off more of my tattoos, but I can't.

2. The weather - being the sunshine, no snow, etc. (I know, I do think about earthquakes and mudslides and fires though, which - aside from the cost living - is why I never made it there).

Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 PM

600 posts, read 872,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peaches2oranges View Post
Sweetheart: Michael Jackson fans are the best! LA has some great ones there! I feel what you are saying. Michael has an aura around him, you feel him and you want to be close to him. He is still alive in my heart and will always be. So where are you moving? I am going next week to check out the LA area too and will be going to see Captain EO at Disneyland, then over to the Glendale Forest Lawn and to the Justice4MJ rally at the courthouse 4-5-10.
Thanks for the nice response I'll be staying at my friend's house in Stevenson Ranch until I find a job. I can't wait to see Captain EO either. I missed it the first time around. Enjoy your trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles