U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM

47 posts, read 119,207 times

Advertisements

Since I've lived in both places I will make my points: LA is more outdoor-oriented and less urban. I feel LA has lost it's moxie more recently and is mired in debt and very high unemployment (20-25% more realistically) with poor political leadership -- same for the state as a whole -- think Greece!. This is not a place where business wants to be -- yes, you need basic services and yes, there is hollywood, new media but there is not as much diversity in industry and many lower-paying jobs vs the cost of living and ok- the weather is nice Chicago is the urban experience -- no car, good public transit and a feeling of connectedness if your willing to embrace the city life and cold winters. I also think Chicago still has a better business climate though they are mired in city/state debt issues as well. Once you are working and living life -- driving everywhere can get old very quickly -- many LA people stay in there neighborhoods because of the traffic issues. Chicago tends to be the heart of the entire Northern Illinois area where LA is many arteries with no true center. At the end of the day, it really is apple or oranges -- a choice you can only make weighing what is important to you at this time of your life.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:21 PM

448 posts, read 366,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
So you're actually saying that all of these cities are "crap" and "have no redeeming value to visitors." Nice.

Cleveland
Des Moines
Detroit
Windsor, Ontario
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Louisville
St. Louis
Evansville
Grand Rapids
Toledo
Madison
Milwaukee
Lexington
Columbus

They may not be crap, but I don't find their appeal either. Honestly, are we to think that these cities are top desired destinations for people/visitors, especially compared to the places in range of LA? I've been to Detroit, and personally the only other ones I'm remotely interested in visiting is Indianapolis and Milwaukee. As I'm an outsider to that region, can you explain to me what values to visitors do cities like Evansville, Grand Rapids, Des Moines, Madison, Toledo, and Cincinnati bring? Not a facetious question.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:33 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,857,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
They may not be crap, but I don't find their appeal either. Honestly, are we to think that these cities are top desired destinations for people/visitors, especially compared to the places in range of LA? I've been to Detroit, and personally the only other ones I'm remotely interested in visiting is Indianapolis and Milwaukee. As I'm an outsider to that region, can you explain to me what values to visitors do cities like Evansville, Grand Rapids, Des Moines, Madison, Toledo, and Cincinnati bring? Not a facetious question.
Cincinnati is a far more interesting city than Indianapolis. Cincinnati has east-coast style historic architecture in the midwest with hill top views. Its at least as interesting as Milwaukee. I also think Detroit is pretty interesting. Madison and Grand Rapids actually have a great quality of life, but yeah, they are not exactly tourist destinations.

I agree that LA has way more tourist attractions in the cities within a days drive.

I was a little surprised that you though Indianapolis was one of the more interesting midwest cities. I would put it further down the list. But to each his own.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,669,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
LA:

Las Vegas
San Fran - 382 miles
Phoenix
San Diego
[And there is nothing between L.A. and Phoenix or Vegas]

Within that same distance, Chicago can reach:

Cleveland
Des Moines
Detroit
Windsor, Ontario
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Louisville
St. Louis
Evansville
Grand Rapids
Toledo
Madison
Milwaukee
Lexington
Columbus
[The distance between Chicago and any of these cities is filled with population]
Ehh...I think I can deal with only having LA, SF, SD, & Vegas (don't even need Phoenix) over everything on the second list.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,669,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8loody View Post
If you are a pansy about the weather than move to L.A.
I don't really get the point of comments like this. It's just diminishing the benefits of a place.

You could say...
If you are a pansy about safety move to...
If you are pansy about affordable housing, move to...
If you are pansy about requiring a competent government, move to...

etc, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laviachi View Post
Since I've lived in both places I will make my points: LA is more outdoor-oriented and less urban. I feel LA has lost it's moxie more recently and is mired in debt and very high unemployment (20-25% more realistically) with poor political leadership -- same for the state as a whole -- think Greece!. This is not a place where business wants to be -- yes, you need basic services and yes, there is hollywood, new media but there is not as much diversity in industry and many lower-paying jobs vs the cost of living and ok- the weather is nice Chicago is the urban experience -- no car, good public transit and a feeling of connectedness if your willing to embrace the city life and cold winters. I also think Chicago still has a better business climate though they are mired in city/state debt issues as well. Once you are working and living life -- driving everywhere can get old very quickly -- many LA people stay in there neighborhoods because of the traffic issues. Chicago tends to be the heart of the entire Northern Illinois area where LA is many arteries with no true center. At the end of the day, it really is apple or oranges -- a choice you can only make weighing what is important to you at this time of your life.
You are correct in saying that LA is more outdoor-oriented and less urban. Exploring various geologically and ecologically interesting areas through hiking or what have you is my life and passion. But unlike the lifestyle in most of the rest of the western US, I love the ethnic diversity and "girly girls" of LA, plus I have somewhat "pretty boy" tendencies myself, so combine a love and fascination of nature and the outdoors with a desire to look good, without being judged, California is heaven for me.

I NEVER understood the Chicago obsession over their major league baseball, the greasy, Italian-American derivative street food, the staying out at bars until 2am, and obsession over indie-music festivals of bands I never heard of. I am from the suburbs, and the only thing I have going on there are family obligations. I only came to California making sure that my brother wouldn't need help baby-sitting his kids, and that my dad at 72 is reasonably healthy. (his artificial hip and stent in his heart are doing great hasn't had an operation in several years).
LA definite

I also love the fact that there is diversity everywhere and interesting areas to explore both natural and urban areas all over the state. Like you said, Chicago is great if you are a true city person, but parts of the surrounding area, especially the southland belt from Joliet to NW Indiana feel kind of "backwaterish" to me. At least relative to how much of an attraction Chicago is.

There are jobs in LA, but you do have to have a plan and strategy. And move here with LOTS of savings. And you have to really research the postings and be willing to have a tiny, tiny place here. But its all worth it to me. California (and I do mean this very inclusively as I am planning out which places I want to see in the state over the next couple years) is just a place where I can truly be myself. Chicago is a place where I have a network of friends and family, but where I feel like I have to conform.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 PM

9,219 posts, read 12,366,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Chicago is a place where I have a network of friends and family, but where I feel like I have to conform.
Kudos to you for this comment.

I find that I feel the same way, either at "home", or in a place where I "fit in". It's good that LA is the place for you where you can be yourself.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:11 AM

229 posts, read 210,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

If you feel a need to act tough and put on a facade, move to Chicago.
Already did.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 PM

2,087 posts, read 3,672,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post

So there are plenty of "normal" hard working people in Los Angeles working jobs that "normal" people work. Their surnames might be Woo or Garcia but they really aren't any different from the guys in Chicago with last names like Bruski and O'Hara.
Actually, Chicago has the 2nd largest Mexican population in the country, and there is quite a large Asian population as well.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Actually, Chicago has the 2nd largest Mexican population in the country, and there is quite a large Asian population as well.
Yes, but Chicago/Chicagolands diversity tends to be more concentrated in certain areas and enclaves. For a major metro area of its size, there are fairly large swaths, that have an overwhelming white working class Catholic Irish-Polish vibe. In greater LA diversity seems to be distributed virtually everwhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles