Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times

Advertisements

Anyone one else having this problem? Although I live in a beautiful area, I find I really don't enjoy it because I am so preoccupied with my impending move back east. As soon as I knew we were not going to stay in Ca. I have felt like I am just frozen in time waiting to thaw out when we arrive in Boston and can finally breath knowing there will be no more moves. I try to enjoy my time here but can't seem to stop thinking about where we will end up instead of where we are now. Do you know what I mean? I have read alot of posts showing many others just waiting to get out of here...some with more definite plans and destination. It's almost like an obsession. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
I can't wait to come back to California. But I can totally relate to what you are going through. It's normal. We all do it, in one way or another. But it's all good. It is a big move. You should be thinking about the move and for me "dreamin" about it. It's exciting and you can't wait. Nothing wrong with that. It sounds like your move will come sooner then mine. So I'll just be dreaming longer.
I also wanted to add that my husband doesn't obsess over it like I do. He can't wait to go back too but I'm more obsessive about it.
Maybe Puffle, me and you have OCD??
Anyways, I think it's pretty normal. Right???

Last edited by Roma; 06-06-2007 at 10:38 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
I can totally relate. Sometimes, I do feel as if i am obsessed with finding a new place to live. I don't have anything planned yet--we have to finish school and sell the condo first, so we will be here at least until January, but probably until next summer. However, that doesn't stop me from doing a lot of research and dreaming about moving. I try to trick myself by focusing on what I do have here, and trying to enjoy it, but really, the town itself I don't enjoy at all. However, I do have friends and family here who I treasure, and some really beautiful towns within driving distance, so I try to make plans for little weekend trips, and spend time with the people I will eventually move away from.

Since you live in L.A. (lots to do there I imagaine) maybe you should try to do one new thing, or visit one new place (or things/places you have done/seen, but want to do again) every week or month before you leave. Perhaps a drive to Palm Springs, or a little weekend trip to Rosarita Mexico? Maybe one last tour of Universal Studios? Start making a list. Here's what mine looks like so far:

Weekend in Lake Tahoe
Weekend in Capitola
Bring hubby to Yosemite (he's never been there)

(As you can see, all of these places are outside of Sacramento...that list is a little harder to come up with, hence spending time with local friends and family).

Best of luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I can't wait to come back to California. But I can totally relate to what you are going through. It's normal. We all do it, in one way or another. But it's all good. It is a big move. You should be thinking about the move and for me "dreamin" about it. It's exciting and you can't wait. Nothing wrong with that. It sounds like your move will come sooner then mine. So I'll just be dreaming longer.
I also wanted to add that my husband doesn't obsess over it like I do. He can't wait to go back too but I'm more obsessive about it.
Maybe Puffle, me and you have OCD??
Anyways, I think it's pretty normal. Right???
OCD huh? Well, now that makes sense!LOL. And I thought I was just very focused!!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I can totally relate. Sometimes, I do feel as if i am obsessed with finding a new place to live. I don't have anything planned yet--we have to finish school and sell the condo first, so we will be here at least until January, but probably until next summer. However, that doesn't stop me from doing a lot of research and dreaming about moving. I try to trick myself by focusing on what I do have here, and trying to enjoy it, but really, the town itself I don't enjoy at all. However, I do have friends and family here who I treasure, and some really beautiful towns within driving distance, so I try to make plans for little weekend trips, and spend time with the people I will eventually move away from.

Since you live in L.A. (lots to do there I imagaine) maybe you should try to do one new thing, or visit one new place (or things/places you have done/seen, but want to do again) every week or month before you leave. Perhaps a drive to Palm Springs, or a little weekend trip to Rosarita Mexico? Maybe one last tour of Universal Studios? Start making a list. Here's what mine looks like so far:

Weekend in Lake Tahoe
Weekend in Capitola
Bring hubby to Yosemite (he's never been there)

(As you can see, all of these places are outside of Sacramento...that list is a little harder to come up with, hence spending time with local friends and family).

Best of luck!
The only place I have on my list is Disneyland. Have lived here since 1961 so there really isn't anything I haven't seen or done in all of these,gulp,years, but I haven't been back to Disneyland in years so that is my one plan in the next three weeks.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:17 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
The only place I have on my list is Disneyland. Have lived here since 1961 so there really isn't anything I haven't seen or done in all of these,gulp,years, but I haven't been back to Disneyland in years so that is my one plan in the next three weeks.
Yes, you have lived there a long time! That makes my idea a lot more difficult. Maybe revisit your favorite restaurants? One of my concerns about moving out of CA is finding good mexican food. I love it, and I am spoiled with it by living in CA. I am sure LA has a lot of great restaurants, so maybe visiting your favorites before you go is something to look forward to? Also, maybe you can plan a little going away party. Invite your friends and family and and say goodbye. Perhaps give it an L.A. or beach theme, or some kind of Boston theme since that's where you're going?

I am in a similar situation, so my ideas are limited because I feel the same way as you. If you think of something to make your time in CA more bearable, let me know.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:38 AM

644 posts, read 3,321,058 times
Puffle,

Yes, I've felt the same way. I'm staying with family getting ready for that impending moment when I get into my car and drive away. I'd like to leave on a Saturday early in the morning, like 4AM. I want to drive away on empty roads and watch the sun come up somewhere in the desert. At least you know where you are going. I won't know until I am out there somewhere.

In the meantime, I'm sure you still have so much planning to do. Such a big move can be overwhelming. And it's so unsettling to not know where you're home is going to be.

I've driven by my "old" apartment. The garden I created is overgrown and dying. New tenants are moved in with their empty boxes out on the porch. I do not miss it one bit, strangely.

Artie

Old 06-06-2007, 11:50 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Default Yes, I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Anyone one else having this problem? Although I live in a beautiful area, I find I really don't enjoy it because I am so preoccupied with my impending move back east. As soon as I knew we were not going to stay in Ca. I have felt like I am just frozen in time waiting to thaw out when we arrive in Boston and can finally breath knowing there will be no more moves. I try to enjoy my time here but can't seem to stop thinking about where we will end up instead of where we are now. Do you know what I mean? I have read alot of posts showing many others just waiting to get out of here...some with more definite plans and destination. It's almost like an obsession. How about you?
Definitely know this feeling. With so many people from other states and countries, California can feel quite transitory. It's also a dynamic place, so in many respects CA lives up to the paradox that "the only consistency is constant change." Even the ground is unsettled. Perhaps earthquakes make a metaphorical point about living in CA.

These things can make for a feeling of restlessness to either move on, or back "home." For me it's a feeling of, "I'm here for a while, and someday I'll leave." That day never seems to come. I was born and raised in the high north, so I long for cooler climates. But the time to leave for those climates is always another year away. On some level I've accepted the restlessness that comes with living in CA just as I've accepted the chance for my world to be rocked by a temblor at any moment. Beautiful weather, scenery, restlessness to move away and earthquakes, guess they're all part of the CA package.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:45 PM

157 posts, read 828,692 times
Hi Puffle,

I know EXACTLY what you mean! The closer our move gets, the harder it is to enjoy things here. I'm happy and excited about our move, but it's really hard to say goodbye to everything. It's hard not to think about how much things change here in LA all the time, so that there isn't as much comfort in the idea of visiting as there should be. I know we'll be back, but will that restaurant still be there? Certainly I won't see our pediatrician again, and it's unlikely we'll see the kids teachers. . . Friends, of course, I'm hoping will still be here. But everytime we go anywhere there is this feeling of goodbye that makes it hard to enjoy the moment.

Here's hoping that things really will be great once we get to our new homes At least they should be more settled. We can relax into getting to know the place and stop saying goodbye!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
I would imagine it's similar to quitting a job for a better one: relief of a leaden burden lifting makes you light-headed about change.

Since you, as with Johnny Cash and myself, "have been everywhere" in L.A., I would suggest you make daytrips on the weekends to other places in California: Hearst Castle, Catalina Island, Morro Bay, Solvang, etc., places that you'll not be able to visit easily again once you move to the other coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles