U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,483 times

Advertisements

I agree, Valencia is an awesome place to live!! I absolutely LOVE it here!!

Very family oriented... really good schools (for california standards), it is warm in the summers but to say it is in the 90's-100's nearly every day from for 7 months straight is a bit of an exageration
Here are the average HIGH's for Valencia:
Jan 64 degrees
Feb 66 degrees
Mar 68 degrees
Apr 74 degrees
May 79 degrees
JUN 88 degrees
JUL 94 degrees
AUG 95 degrees
Sep 91 degrees
Oct 82 degrees
Nov 72 degrees
Dec 65 degrees
There are over 200 community parks here... the housing is a little pricey.. but pretty average for Southern California... (example a 1400 square foot house on a 5500 square foot lot, 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths in a nice neighborhood would run you about $550k as an average maybe $600k) There are "PASEOS" here which are bike or running trails all over the community that were designed so that children wouldn't have to cross streets... there are bridges that go over the streets... it is a very safe community... however there has been more crime ......like any other city that comes with growth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 PM

157 posts, read 578,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaoana View Post
I agree, Valencia is an awesome place to live!! I absolutely LOVE it here!!

Very family oriented... really good schools (for california standards), it is warm in the summers but to say it is in the 90's-100's nearly every day from for 7 months straight is a bit of an exageration
Here are the average HIGH's for Valencia:
Jan 64 degrees
Feb 66 degrees
Mar 68 degrees
Apr 74 degrees
May 79 degrees
JUN 88 degrees
JUL 94 degrees
AUG 95 degrees
Sep 91 degrees
Oct 82 degrees
Nov 72 degrees
Dec 65 degrees
There are over 200 community parks here... the housing is a little pricey.. but pretty average for Southern California... (example a 1400 square foot house on a 5500 square foot lot, 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths in a nice neighborhood would run you about $550k as an average maybe $600k) There are "PASEOS" here which are bike or running trails all over the community that were designed so that children wouldn't have to cross streets... there are bridges that go over the streets... it is a very safe community... however there has been more crime ......like any other city that comes with growth...
Yes, but the OP's job is in Culver City. Really not a drive he wants to do :-)

Old 06-07-2007, 02:24 PM

16 posts, read 73,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefromcali View Post
Yes, but the OP's job is in Culver City. Really not a drive he wants to do :-)
True. I would not like it but I would be willing to do it. Rents in those areas are pretty much on par with rents in CC, Redondo, and Torrance so I think I'll focus on those areas. Maybe I can convince my employer to let me telecommute. Theres an idea....

Thanks for all of your great tips. I appreciate them very much.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:57 PM

3,146 posts, read 5,142,641 times
Now, remember that almost all of the city limits of Los Angeles are within the Los Angeles Unified School District (A small portion of West Hills in the San Fernando Valley is within the Las Virgenes Unified School District).

To check the LAUSD zoned schools of the houses you are considering, use this handy tool: School Finder

To check zoned schools in LVUSD, use this tool: Las Virgenes Unified School District - Locate School (http://www.lvusd.k12.ca.us/webapps/portal/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=43 - broken link)

It is important to do this, as, in LAUSD, there are a lot of poor performing and violent neighborhood schools. Plan to avoid the worst and aim for the best.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 PM

1,749 posts, read 5,916,661 times
Like any large city, it's all about where you live. For people who don't know the city at all, I suggest getting a rental with a short-term lease. This will allow you to explore and get to know your city and where you'd like to make your nest. Also, many people can afford to rent in an area they can't afford a house. There's a lot of this in Malibu and BH. If your job is in Culver City, I'd stick as close to Culver as possible. Commuting can ruin your life. Parts of CC have come up, I often go to Synergy Cafe to listen to free live music and the clientele there seem hip, clean, educated and literate. This is a sign of established gentrification.

Regarding education, cultural opportunities and raising kids here: My roommate has two young sons. She's a single mother who just went through a nasty divorce and moved back here from the boonies. This is her hometown. Since she's arrived, both her children have gotten scolarships to attend magnate schools. They've adjusted wonderfully and have been enjoying all the social, educational and cultural benefits of living here. Schooling prospects where they came from were dismal. I know the children well as I perform free part-time nanny duties.

I'm a 3rd generation Angeleno. For some reason, my father got the urge to go to the boonies and push dirt around so I was yanked from this amazing city and moved to a place where most of my classmates couldn't read or speak properly. There was nothing to do either. Climbing trees and skipping rocks got old after a week. I became very depressed until I was sent back here to live with my Grandmother. I went to public school in Torrance and started to actually learn something. I loved going to the Redondo pier and riding the rides. I was taken (regularly) to museums, ballet, symphony as time and budget permitted. My grandmother was a school teacher. I really loved the theme parks. My demeanor quickly changed as it seemed the sun came out...all the sudden there were tons of things to do. To make a long story short, I was yanked to the boonies again and it was awful. I didn't return to L.A. until I was an adult, with the exception of a few months back in Redondo going to Redondo Union High. Of my cousins raised here, I can't think of one who didn't turn out well. Doctor, Rocket Scientist, famous artist...I could go on. They are all fun, articulate and well-rounded. I have 3 young cousins still in school. One is Autistic. The school district has gone above and beyond to make sure his educational needs are met. He is taken by taxi to Santa Monica every day, the district pics up the tab. My sister is about to move here. My nephew is also mildly Autistic. His school in the boonies punishes him for the resulting behavior and she's looking forward to getting him in a proper school. There's nothing for kids to do in her town, they just closed the bowling alley and the movie theatre. "All there is for kids to do here is do drugs and ---" she says. I can vouch for this, I lived there.

I worked for a while as a counselor for at-risk youth and ran a family group. I can tell you that it didn't matter how good or bad of a neighborhood the family lived in, the mark of a good parent was always the same: staying involved in their kid's life, knowing their friends and closely looking after them as well as firm and definite boundaries. My biggest problems? Every neighborhood from East L.A. to Malibu. If you are a good parent (and it sounds like you are if you are asking these questions), you'll do fine. Your kids will have a blast here.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 PM

2,831 posts, read 3,362,127 times
I live in west la. Culver City, Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Mar Vista, these are nice areas.

There's some great things for kids here. The beach. The Santa Monica mountains, theres a great movie theater at the century city mall, the promenade, riding bikes in marina del rey is great. Lots to do.

I think the biggest problem to raising a family out here are the schools. If you get zoned to LAUSD, some of the schools are a nightmare.

My neighbors have 3 small kids (12, 10 and 10) and they're moving to San Luis Obispo this summer...in part because the middle schools suck.

I don't know...everybody wants different things. I wouldn't raise a family out here though..

-Too fast paced.
-The trend is a declining middle class (how many middle class schools are there in LAUSD)?
-Traffic

And alot of other reasons. But just one opinion out of a big diverse group on the board.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:06 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,613,124 times
JM999, I would also encourage you to look at Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills Estates. There are some older, but very well managed and maintained apartment communities there that are not very well known about by most people. I know about them because my sister once lived in a really nice apartment just off Hawthorne Blvd near where it ends at the ocean. You would be in a safe area, close to the ocean, and could take advantage of the excellent schools on the peninsula. The only downside is the commute to CC from there, but others commute from Palos Verdes to downtown everyday and even farther. You would get use to it, especially given how nice of an environment you would have to come home to each day.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:26 PM

3,146 posts, read 5,142,641 times
If you end up in LAUSD, and find that you have no choice but to be zoned to a lame school, you can try to get into a magnet program. The LA Times even has a column titled "Ask a Magnet Yenta."

Old 06-08-2007, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 73,057 times
Thanks to everyone who has posted. I have a much better idea of where I want to hunker down with my family. I appreciate the help.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:01 PM

644 posts, read 2,396,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
JM999, I would also encourage you to look at Palos Verdes and Rolling Hills Estates. There are some older, but very well managed and maintained apartment communities there that are not very well known about by most people. I know about them because my sister once lived in a really nice apartment just off Hawthorne Blvd near where it ends at the ocean. You would be in a safe area, close to the ocean, and could take advantage of the excellent schools on the peninsula. The only downside is the commute to CC from there, but others commute from Palos Verdes to downtown everyday and even farther. You would get use to it, especially given how nice of an environment you would have to come home to each day.
He is working in Culver City !!!!

He is not going to want to commute to PV Estates !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles