Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 20,652 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My fiance and I are looking to relocate from NYC to LA in a few months. We are in our late 20's and have a young daughter (school age). We are looking for a safe community with a mixed race to live in with good schools. Price really isn't a problem. I work in the fashion industry so I will be working in downtown la. My fiance's career causes him to travel alot, so I would like a safe family oriented area. I would also like the community to have great shops. Does anyone have any idea where we should start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
School Performance Maps may help

Here are some other tools:

Useful Househunting tools

Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 21,034 times
Check out Pasadena, esp the areas south of the 210. It's close to downtown LA (quick trip down the 110) and Old Town Pasadena is a wonderful district with lots of great shops and restaurants. As for diversity, you won't find any great locations in LA that are majority African American, except perhaps Baldwin Hills which is a tiny bedroom community. South Pasadena has a fairly large Asian population so it at least won't be all white. Also the Pasadena school system is very good, and of course the city is home to Caltech, the math/sci/eng powerhouse.

You might also want to take a look at Eagle Rock, Atwater Village, Silverlake and Los Feliz, which are fairly diverse, up & coming artsy areas, though you will want to speak with your agent about which are the better neighborhoods. These areas are also part of the LA Unified School District, which is not known in general for having good schools, so again speak with an agent to find out which neighborhoods correspond to the best public schools (or just put your kid in private school).

FYI a good website for checking racial demographics based on zip code isModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-12-2010 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEssence View Post

FYI a good website for checking racial demographics based on zip code is ZipSkinny: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Yep, zipskinny is great. Use it with this cool zip code map and also census data maps

Click for a Zip Code Boundary Map.

American FactFinder

Last edited by Yac; 04-12-2010 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
What type of commute are you looking for? Will you be willing to use public transport?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I would echo the greater Pasadena area suggestion. One thing to note, though: the Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) has a spotty reputation. There are some really good schools, and some not-so-good schools. South Pasadena (a separate city from Pasadena) has a much better school reputation, but is less diverse (although that's all relative). Like noted above, South Pasadena doesn't have a large African American population, but it's by no means all one race, either. Pasadena itself has a broader range of diversity, including a larger and long-established African American history.

I loved living in South Pasadena with kids; very safe and family-oriented. I would have happily lived in the city of Pasadena, too. And if you will be taking public transportation it's an easy ride downtown on the Gold Line. And while South Pasadena itself isn't a major commercial center (more of a small town feel with some small boutiques and shops) it's very close to the heart of Old Pasadena, which does have good shopping.

I've heard Eagle Rock has some good public schools, although I don't have any personal experience. Eagle Rock is also conveniently located not too far from Old Pasadena (and not too far from downtown), so it could be a good possibility.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM

Thank you for your comments! I will start with Pasadena/South Pasadena and Baldwin hills.... I will have a vehicle but if there is a train that will make my commute quicker I don't mind riding it. How far is Pasadena/south pasadena and Baldwin Hills from Downtown?

Last edited by STACEY1205; 03-31-2010 at 02:54 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 02:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
Ladera Heights and View Park/Windsor Hills are the prime areas for buppies to reside (or so I've been told by my Ivy-educated black friend). Culver city & Westchester are also upscale areas which are very open & inviting to other races. I could be wrong, but it's been impression that South Pas and San Marino have skewed heavily toward affluent Asians in the past decade? Maybe some one can correct me.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
how about culver city? it sounds like a really good match for your family.

culver city has a racially diverse population, with double digit percentages of african-americans, asians, and latinos combining for nearly 50% of the population and non-hispanic whites constituting the other half. it also has a fairly broad spectrum of classes and incomes.

because CC has its own school district, which is supposed to be pretty decent, it's a better choice than most areas that are served by the much-maligned LAUSD. i think there are a handful of LAUSD schools that are ok (i keep hearing about eagle rock and some areas of the western san fernando valley), but for the most part it seems you'd be better off in a smaller, separate school district like CC.

another plus is that over the past few years, CC has been on the upswing. there has been noticeable gentrification in certain areas (mainly the culver city art district) due to an influx of creative/artsy types, which in turn has resulted in restaurants, cafes, shops, and galleries catering to that community. since you work in the fashion industry, you may find these amenities very appealing.

at the same time, the community is reportedly pretty safe and family-friendly for the most part with some nice retail districts.

the gentrification should only continue in future years with the exposition line (light rail connecting downtown and santa monica via culver city) being constructed right now; i think the first phase, from downtown to CC, should be opening in the next 18 months. and once the rail line is complete, you'll be able to commute to work via mass transit.

the thing i like best about CC is that it's a fairly balanced city that doesn't seem to be heavily skewed in any particular direction. it isn't an ultra-urban area, but it isn't cookie-cutter tract housing suburbia, either. it has a lot of urban amenities and some of the aforementioned hip/creative edge while still remaining family-friendly. and it's conveniently located not too far from the beach, the westside, LAX (which is great since your fiance travels a lot), hollywood, and downtown.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 AM

Thank you! Culver city sounds like a great match for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles