U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2007, 12:05 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,703,768 times

Advertisements

Welcome to LA. Im a native to this town and find it difficult to meet new people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 01:54 AM

634 posts, read 2,003,000 times
Drive the 405 northbound through the LAX area. You'll meet many new people whilst sitting in gridlock. I met a fine fellow this afternoon over a game of chess on the hood of his car.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM

186 posts, read 615,779 times
Default Try different crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoLA View Post
Hi,

I have recently moved to LA from Australia. I work from home so meeting new people is really difficult!! I thought of joining a young business woman's group; however, can not seem to find any? Does anyone know of any? I have searched and searched but can not find anything!

Thanks!
blog on yelp and see if you can go to a yelpers event. The people are pretty down to earth on that website.

There are a couple of biking troups and outdoor groups, maybe that is the best way to start building a social network.

People who go to certain plays, authentic and good music acts, spoken word, and art galleries are usualyl really cool Angelenos and it is really easy to start networking there. Events like Grand Performances, MOCA after dark, Thursdays nights at Hammer Museum, Fridays and Saturday nights at LACMA and the downtown arts walk are a few venues that draw an eclectic and fun crowd that are easy to socialize with.

There are national business networking groups and I am sure that they all have a local LA chapter. You might want to do that as well. Maybe attend a few mixers or events at UCLA B-school.

There is your art crowd, your foodie crowd, your movie loving crowd, your outdoor crowd, and your music loving crowd, and many times, those crowds do all of the above. I am not in business so I have no idea how to network in that respect.

Each of these crowds also love partying so I suggest meet the crowd and THEN go out with them instead of meeting people at a bar.

Hope that helps.

Try blogs like metroblogging LA, yelp, and google to try to find out where things are happening. Once you start going to these venues, you will begin to network if you try.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 PM

186 posts, read 615,779 times
Quote:
Hi,

I have recently moved to LA from Australia. I work from home so meeting new people is really difficult!! I thought of joining a young business woman's group; however, can not seem to find any? Does anyone know of any? I have searched and searched but can not find anything!

Thanks!
I love LA, but it is a town that you have to know well in order to take advantage of. Syndey is a great city and better than LA, but dont let that get you down. LA is a good place in its own right. It just takes time to learn how to tap into the culture.

I have one piece of advice though. LA has the most haters per capita amongst the "world-class" cities. People in LA have so much baggage and negative energy. You are in LA now, so my advice is to make the best of it, take all the positive advice you can, and ignore the negativity.

Last edited by jlrobe; 06-29-2007 at 05:53 PM..

Old 06-30-2007, 10:35 PM

40 posts, read 101,754 times
Default Meeting New People

I'm a member of a group called LA Girlfriends. I'll get the link for
you and post it here - in case you're interested in joining. It's
more of a social group, but I'm sure some of the women are
business owners etc.

What do you do for a living? Maybe I can recommend a group
of women in your same profession etc.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:09 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,520,821 times
how about looking for a group of aussie ex-pats? there's probably some place in town where they congregate. you'll already have something in common, so getting acquainted will be less awkward, and if you hit it off, they're likely to invite into their wider circle of friends.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:04 AM

1,749 posts, read 5,905,775 times
When I came back from Hawaii, I'd forgotten just how easy it was to meet people here. I wasn't used to striking up conversations with total strangers.

I meet tons of people walking my dogs and taking them to the doggie park in Silverlake. This is also a wonderful ploy for singles. The parks, coffee houses and 12-step recovery meetings are where I meet most people. Seriously. People bond here out of common interests. Take an extension course. A spin class. Whatever floats your boat. I've lived quite a few places and my friendships that have endured 10-20+ years are all people I met in L.A. I'm not one who enjoys a huge social circle (although I used to). I'd rather have a few really good friends.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,786 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
Hi, I moved here about 10 months ago and am still struggling to make friends!! lol feel kinda disappointed in my social skills lol. I am from England but everyones first guess is Australian so it would be nice for some to see how far my accent is from Ozzy. Anyway I am 26 going on 18 and like you have turned to the internet in search of friends. Email me back and tell me some more about your self and maybe we can meet for lunch or something sometime. [email]rex81@ymail.com[/email]

Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 PM

539 posts, read 1,067,970 times
Part of it is because, in LA, like a lot of places where there is some craziness, you get used to ignoring people. It is a defense mechanism. If you look someone in the eye, chances are they'll ask you for a dollar.

So you have to always catch people in a comfortable space and never on the street. Once you're "in", like if you are introduced to someone, or you are at a specific meeting or group, or you are bonding over children or dogs, you'll find that Angelenos are nice people.

Another strange trick that works well is to ask people for help -- assuming that you don't look like you are going to ask them for a dollar. :-) If you ask people for recommendations or directions or help, they'll open themselves up to you.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,793 times
There's an old saying, "Cause creates community". One thing that makes America interesting is the American penchant to create and/or join clubs and societies and coalitions etc., and then actually do something about it. So think about what you are really interested in, then google around for an association or something that does it here in Los Angeles. If they don't have some sort of event or meeting at least once a month, move on to the next group on the list. Find one you like, go to the events, volunteer... voila, a whole set of friends who actually care about the same thing you do. Anything, honestly, from philately to rugby to astronomy to epee fencing to colonizing Mars. We've got it all, vibrant chapters right here in LA, I can almost guarantee it. (marssociety.org for instance!)

I can particularly recommend the Los Angeles Bicycle Coalition-- dowdy-sounding but a super friendly group of quality human beings. (and most of them are in great physical shape-- but NOT all. Some, like me, bike for practical reasons and own very little if any lycra.) la-bike.org

For an interesting spiritual aspect to your community, check out Mosaic (mosaic.org). They are a very open bunch, and all about serving others and understanding themselves and God. (the metaphor = broken pieces of all different colors, textures, sizes, fitted together into a work of art...)

Judging from all the replies to your post, I'd say you'd found some sort of community right here. All you need to do is refine your interests and locale and go meet folks who care about what you care about, and are willing to do something concerning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles