Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 AM

736 posts, read 2,289,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Makes riding the subway sound inviting.
Charles: The problem is your married now. Imagine when you were single...a subway ride is a great opportunity to meet a beautiful woman.

One day spent on NYC or Paris or Barcelona's subway will confirm this.....LA's isn't too bad either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,550,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
a subway ride is a great opportunity to meet a beautiful woman.
In general, in LA, do the hotter women ride public transit?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
In general...probabaly not. That is why I mentioned Paris, Barcelona, etc.

You know we have that car-centered culture here ....but with increasing traffic and more rail/bus options that is changing. I've met some beautiful women on mass transit or just walking down the street.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,362,528 times
Quote:
In general...probabaly not. That is why I mentioned Paris, Barcelona, etc.

You know we have that car-centered culture here ....but with increasing traffic and more rail/bus options that is changing. I've met some beautiful women on mass transit or just walking down the street.
Haha, a lot of girls my age (not quite women..since 20-21 year olds have the same maturity level as a 16 year old in my experience) can be seen taking public transportation.

I've met many a pretty girl on mass transit in LA. However, I was too busy reading or listening to my iPod to even really care that much. Now that I have a car..well...I don't know.

I have a question: what do you think comes first? Having the mass-transit infrastructure already which can cause the 'mass transit' culture, or will having the mass transit culture first be necessary to have the will to build the mass transit infrastructure? Kind of a 'chicken vs. egg' question going on here.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I have a question: what do you think comes first? Having the mass-transit infrastructure already which can cause the 'mass transit' culture, or will having the mass transit culture first be necessary to have the will to build the mass transit infrastructure? Kind of a 'chicken vs. egg' question going on here.
I think increasing traffic combined with MORE mass transit options and more mixed-use development in dense "downtown" areas like Santa Monica, Pasadena, Downtown LA, etc. will equate to more mass transit riders.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:40 AM

10 posts, read 30,352 times
Thats a great question.By the way guys youre doing a great job on these posts.Im really digging a lot of your responses.I would assume already having a mass transit infrastructure already in place would be the answer because people would be used to public transportation in that city from square one.

Last edited by PhoenixIsRad; 04-06-2010 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: error

Old 04-06-2010, 08:08 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,229,864 times
I was in the Transbay tube during an earthquake. It was actually one of the safer places in SF to be. No buildings falling on me at least. When the shaking started, the train disengaged from the rail, then once the shaking stopped, the rail and track re-engaged and we were off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
I bet it shoots to number 1 after an earthquake

Old 04-06-2010, 08:09 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,229,864 times
They do on the rail lines, even late at night in Hollywood and the Gold Line headed back to Pas. Can't speak for the buses.

Quote:

Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Here's a question: The Expo Line, once both phases are completed, will connect Downtown LA to Santa Monica.

The "Subway to the Sea" or Purple Line, if funded and completed, will connect Downtown LA to Santa Monica. I prefer THIS route since it's UNDERGROUND, faster (will NOT compete with street traffic or intersections) and will serve LA's most dense corridor (Wilshire Blvd).

HOWEVER, are we just duplicating service here....??? Isn't this redundant to do both??

Old 04-07-2010, 06:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,788,126 times
Quote:
Here's a question: The Expo Line, once both phases are completed, will connect Downtown LA to Santa Monica.

The "Subway to the Sea" or Purple Line, if funded and completed, will connect Downtown LA to Santa Monica. I prefer THIS route since it's UNDERGROUND, faster (will NOT compete with street traffic or intersections) and will serve LA's most dense corridor (Wilshire Blvd).

HOWEVER, are we just duplicating service here....??? Isn't this redundant to do both??
My LA friend said the Expo line is cheaper to build and faster since it will use left over ROW form the prevous streetcar system......both lines are needed. The more lines , the less likely that one line will be maxed out within the first 5 years. Also it provides easier access to the area and different parts of it. We have the same thing here , 2 lines that start out form the same place and end near each other. The purple line will have a higher capacity and move faster as opposed to the LRT. although they would both move kind at the same average speed , except the subway is completely grade separated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles