U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 AM

3 posts, read 38,908 times

Advertisements

No it is NOT SAFE to wear gang colors in gang areas. In the late 1990s I lived in South Central on 91st and Central in a rehab the first thing I was told was DO NOT WEAR RED OR DARK BLUE that can get you shot. Please take my word for it DO NOT WEAR RED OR DARK BLUE ask a Cop he will tell you the same thing. That's if you are in gang areas now I live in the Valley and I am white and I wear what ever colors I want. But trust me if I were going down to the WAR ZONE South Central I would not wear anything RED or DARK BLUE. Don't tempt fate if you are in Gang territory don't wear RED or DARK BLUE it could save your life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 05:06 PM

5,099 posts, read 3,620,199 times
Its never safe to wear gang colors in Los Angeles. I was going to say that South Central is the place to not wear gang colors, but gangs are everywhere now.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:08 PM

5,755 posts, read 7,293,280 times
How about car colors?

Old 12-21-2009, 02:05 AM

2,685 posts, read 3,896,928 times
Generally speaking, don't wear red in almost ANY area of the city's areas that has a gang presence (all the Mexican gangs [especially those affiliated with the Mexican Mafia/Surenos] and the Crips rep blue [hence why you see many cholos wearing Dodgers gear], and their arch-enemies typically wear red) . However, to be on the safe side, generally avoid wearing red or blue if you're that worried about it. Honestly though, unless you are actively looking for trouble from gang members, they will leave you alone for the most part.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:14 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,662,154 times
I've worn blue to the Slauson Swapmeet before and no problems. Heck I've driven a blue lowrider with blue wheels and had no issues. I could have been lucky, or it could be because I am white.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM

42 posts, read 153,432 times
yea it's more about how you wear colors than about just wearing specific colors...

i was born and raised in the 909, San Bernardino, when colors were more emphasized than they are now.. but yea it's true, Mexican gangs tend to wear more black n white type clothing, silver, gold, some blue and some red depending on affiliation - copy cat gangs don't count for s---

brand names and sports teams are emphasized in alotta black gangs.. (some sets):

Crips- blue chucks (blue converse shoes), Adidas ("All Day I Destroy A Slug", slug = crip code for "blood"), Chicago Cubs fitted hats ("C" for Crip, & the color blue)
Kitchen Crips: Kansas City Royals fitted hats (also blue)

Bloods - Calvin Klein ("Crab Killer" - crab= blood code for "crip"), Boston Redsox fitted hats ("B" for Blood, and the color red)
Piru: Pittsburgh Pirates fitted hats ("P" for Piru)

then there are color variations for different sets:
some Hoover Crip sets rep orange
Grape St Crips rep blue & purple
some sets wear green or silver... etc

so there are a lot of variations in sets and depending on what part of the country they're in...

there's a lot more than this in SoCal, tho.. especially Mexican gangs (MS13, 18th St), Asian gangs (Azn Boyz, Tiny Rascals, Sons of Samoa), and the non-banger motorcycle gangs, to name a couple major ones...

basically, don't go around sporting $300 sports shoes, a white t-shirt w/flannel shirt, pants creased down the middle, and a sports hat.. with a pimp strut.. then you should be cool

G

Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 PM

56 posts, read 131,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I do know they started making the school children wear uniforms BECAUSE there had been a problem of mistaken identity...gang bangers thinking they were of a rival gang because of the colors they were wearing. That is young children!! Just something to keep in mind.

School uniforms were started as a district-wide initiative in public schools by Long Beach Unified School District during the second Clinton administration to address the problems with enforcing a dress code (sexually provacative/controversial attire in middle schools and the assocaitaion of class status with brand names in elemetary schools). LBUSD students are/were composed of various culutral/racial/socio-economic backgrounds, and attire that readily identified children as being from one socio-economic class or another was a major distraction to classroom administration and instruction. Neutralizing gang colors was an unitended benefit. The primary thought in the LBUSD administrators heads were the aforementioned, as Long Beach has various sets of the Crips (read: no bloods), who all assocaited with the color blue. LAUSD having observed the sucess of such an initiative in a neighboring school district decided to adopt it without much debate. There was, however, some opposition from the Westside and SF Valley subdistricts.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 466,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I just heard a story on the radio about some Staples Employees getting jumped by gang bangers while wearing their red Staples shirts so I guess it happens. Who knows how often though. But remember gangsters aren't exactly blessed with large amounts of intelligence or impulse control so be careful. Being Indian might put you in a tough spot. If you're very dark skinned, the Mexicans will think you're black and shoot you. If you're lighter, the blacks will think you're Mexican and shoot you. If you could pass for white, they'll all shoot you. Good luck and just like with wild animals, don't make eye contact with the locals or they'll see you as a threat.

You are toooooooo Funny I am laughing at the bottom and its hysterical and TRUE...xo

Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 25,269 times
my son had got off the trolley and some gang members notice he had on red he is not even a gang member he plays basketball for san diego high school one of the gang members walk up to him and said where are you from my son said nowhere it was smart for him to say that he told me he stayed calm he wasn't afraid then he walked to his grandmother house

Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 AM

4,815 posts, read 5,677,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beverlycromwell View Post
my son had got off the trolley and some gang members notice he had on red he is not even a gang member he plays basketball for san diego high school one of the gang members walk up to him and said where are you from my son said nowhere it was smart for him to say that he told me he stayed calm he wasn't afraid then he walked to his grandmother house
For real? I have never seen/heard or had that happen to me before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles