Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:41 PM

427 posts, read 546,916 times

Advertisements

There, guess that's descriptive enough. Oh, that just means that obviously I've probably had a "few too many", at one time or another(ha), but if I'm not staying down than no doubt there's room for a few more!! There must be a "full moon" out tonight. Ok, now for my question. Got to have an inquiry. So I need to know, do you think my Lakers are gonna do it again this year?? Hey, I can't help it. I was able to get back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,453,139 times
If they can get a 21st Century Wilt Chamberlain, then maybe. Right now the Sisters of Mercy (Thanks Chick) could beat the Lakers (though they beat lowly MN tonight). Realize if they're lucky to get out of the west they would not have home court against Cleveland (who I wouldn't want to play). Plus Cleveland has Shaq (why we need Wilt), and in the playoffs, the refs swallow their whistles - this works to Shaq's advantage.

Side question: Would Kobe even make the starting line up of an all time Laker team? Over Jerry? Over Magic?
Would Shaq even make the team, let alone be a starter? Over Wilt? Over Kareem? (Even over George Mikan?)
Forwards would be a lot easier, Worthy and Elgin.

Last edited by Charles; 04-09-2010 at 11:15 PM..

Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 PM

150 posts, read 91,143 times
If it weren't for injuries, where would we be. I think Bynum could have made a difference in some of the close losses the past few weeks. Well, who knows, maybe Cleveland won't make it to the finals like last year. Go LAKERS!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,325,021 times
I haven't figured out exactly what the problem is but remember up & down periods right before previous playoffs. Sometimes I feel that if Kobe reports to Staples or other centers 3 hours before a game than why aren't the rest of the team practicing? Gasol is little bit of a prima donna & could really improve his free throws. I've come to really like Artest [he's quirky] & the best defender. Shannon Brown & Lamar are almost as aggressive as Ron Ron. I honestly think the Lakers won't make it to the finals unless Kobe is 100 percent. He's getting rest which is good.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 AM

18 posts, read 33,200 times
This year: We're not as confident and consistent as the last. I still think we can do it, but we need to really start the playoffs incredibly strong, aggressive, and smart. Overall, I actually think the team (not Kobe) is responsible for the way they've been playing.

Kobe: As a die-hard Laker fan, i think it's safe to say he's just exited his prime.
Pau: Has gotten better, but overall, still soft.
Bynum: I'm not clairvoyant, but somehow I saw the injury coming.
Odom: Much better rebounder.
Artest: Not as reliable as he's been promised to be so far.
Fisher: LONG past his prime. Start him off the bench. Other than clutch shots, I don't see any other worth in him.
Brown: Really improved. If he continues on this pace, I think he might be able to replace Fisher.
Vujacic: Hasn't had as much playing time compared to Shannon, so i'm not sure how to measure him.
Walton: Hardly any minutes. I'll wait and see

As for the future: Unless we somehow some way steal LeBron, I don't think we're gonna win 3 (or more).

Last edited by JDRCRASH; 04-10-2010 at 12:26 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 AM

Lebron will never come to the Lakers while Kobe is still king plus it would cost the team too much. It would be great having Lebron play for the Lakers since he has expressed his strong appreciation for coach Jackson & living in LA. Lebron will probably go to NYC & resurrect the Knicks who haven't been in the playoffs in 6 yrs!

Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM

18 posts, read 33,200 times
LOL, costs wouldn't be the problem, dude. The Lakers are one of the richest franchises in Professional sports (and I think we're ahead of the Knicks). Trust me, if the Knicks can afford 2 max-contracts and have space left, then we certainly can.

The biggest problem in having LeBron would be, as you said, how Kobe views himself as the king of this franchise right now. Of course, like I said (after I edited my post ), I know how hard it is for us Laker fans to swallow, but Kobe might be just past his prime. And deep down beneath his ego, I think Kobe knows it.

In the end, I think we need to accept the fact that in order to remain a championship contending team in the future, we might need another superstar, whether it's LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; 04-10-2010 at 12:35 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 AM

44 posts, read 63,733 times
The Lakers will not win the Championship this season, that will be either the Cavs or the Magic. I even think that the Lakers might not even make the finals, the Ron Artest project didn't work out.
Kobe = Growing older
Gasol = Soft
Artest = hot headed
Odom = Played very well this season
Bynum = Always injured
Fisher = old, unproductive, needs to be shipped out
Mbenga = Best player on team who eats tacos

Old 04-10-2010, 01:53 AM

I think we all agree that the Lakers are looking less energized than they can afford to be. But I disagree that the Artest "experiment" was a bad trade when you compare him to Ariza. Bynum still appears injury-prone for the 3rd year & can't be counted on when the Lakers need him the most. Also Luke Walton who I have always thought should have been traded years ago.

I also believe we are seeing the decline of Kobe but his willpower is amazing & I don't think we will be disappointed with him in the playoffs. Kobe is a one-in-a-million athlete with remarkable natural talent but also is incredibly focused & disciplined.

Again, if Lebron were to come to the Lakers would mean the team exceeding salary caps & paying a big luxury tax. There's some good up & coming talent but nobody with the ability of either Kobe or Lebron.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,869,167 times
Artest reminds me a little bit of Rodman. I don't think players like that fit into the Laker style. I think thats why he hasnt done as well as promised.

I think the Lakers have worked the last few years, in part because the competition has been so weak. They're a great team (phil's 10 rings speak to that). But a year like this, they start looking uneven. It seems like it only takes a few pieces to derail the Laker train. I.e. when the lost to Boston in 08. They're champions, but they're a fragile bunch.

How much does it take to beat the Orlando Magic in the finals? Not knocking the talent of kobe, gasol, etc. But the east has been weak for a long time.
The east in the 2000's has been terrible...nets, heat, magic. The pistons were good. I dont think the lakers will win more than 1 more with this current lineup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles