Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:16 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Sounds like a wonderful place. Do they have children with close relatives there as well?
Yeah, seems to be a lot like Fontana and Riverside... j/k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
We were happy to register our car in our new state and get new drivers licenses because this is now our carefully, purposely chosen home and home state. It had nothing to do with stigma and everything to do with assimilation. The DMV required us to surrender both our plates and our CA licenses.

We shed no tears!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM

150 posts, read 91,388 times
My aunt was able to keep her CA plates in KY for three years before she got a new car...as long as the plates were still current, they were fine.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:30 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I wouldn't recommend keeping out-of-state plates on a vehicle when residing in a new state, you'll have to give an explanation when you get pulled over (NTM, out-of-state plates are known for saying "Hey cop, pull me over", when in certain areas).

What's the point in it anyway? If it's simply a symbol of "pride", put a CA sticker on your bumper or window.

My wife threw away our CA plates off of our Jeep without telling me...I wanted to keep them for novelty's sake. The CA plates on our van were disgusting, and I didn't feel like washing them, so in the trash they went. Add Colorado to the list of states where they don't make you surrender your plates (or license).

Old 04-11-2010, 09:33 PM

245 posts, read 712,225 times
Some states don't require you to switch over if you're a student and not employed at that state. Best thing to do is to research what that state's laws are.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
The accurate answer is that whenever you move to a different state, to live,you have x amount of time to register the car under that state. I say "X" because each state is different, some states give you 30 days others 60 or more.

You could just bypass the laws, because nobody would know, but cops seem to make it a habit of pulling over cars with out of state tags and checking how long you have been in the state.

all you have to say is JUST visiting....which may be the Honest truth.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:09 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
If a cop in ca pulls you over with out of state plates & license just say you're visiting. Now if they know for a fact you're employed in ca thats a different story but its not like they can arrest you or impound your car. I drove over 3 yrs with co plates & never got stopped once. I had a ca license & lived & worked in ca. This was yrs back though but now the cops are in the john wayne mode. I guess they feel proud telling friends & family they ticketed a out of state driver. Go figure.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:29 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,936,998 times
I neve had this issue in my life. I have a car with NV tags and use that as my offical addy and have lived in several states..........Never pulled over for it...... i know people who are snowbirds and come to La and AZ all the time every yr stay for a few months and nada.......there is NO rule that says you can't drive in another state with another state lic........Less you say the better less they know the less problems you have...If start yacking then ofcourse you will have problems.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:18 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Here's an example from my state of residence:

Quote:
After becoming a Colorado resident, you have 30 days to qualify for a Colorado driver license and 90 days to register your vehicle.
Quote:
If you are a Colorado resident who operates a motor vehicle or motorcycle on public streets and highways in Colorado, you must have the appropriate valid driver's license. A resident is defined as a citizen who has lived in Colorado for 90 continuous days; or upon becoming employed, whichever occurs first.
Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:New Residents

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:Frequently Asked Questions

Special exemption rules apply for students and military.

So at least in my state (and I'm sure in most others), you are technically breaking the law if you aren't properly licensed/plated.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:45 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
I was stopped and was given a warning to have my plates changed. I don't think you can keep your previous state LP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles