Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:04 AM

223 posts, read 281,219 times

Advertisements

The greedy city council of Yucaipa,ca approved a rent control increase from 2.00 mo per mhp space to 3.92 per space.The park owner pays 3.92 per space as well.Im surprised the creeps dont charge a flat breathing fee per month as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 01:41 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,424 times
Lightbulb $9.35 Registration Fee

Here's what I found elsewhere on the web & I have included the link to the site as well:

LA RENT CONTROL MADE EASY

I have underlined & put in RED the portion that seems to specifically address the OP's question / concern. Note the rule about receiving a 30 Day written notice or NOT be able to be charged.

Hope this helps...

What is Rent Control?

Rent control, or rent stabilization, is much more than the 4% maximum increase to which people refer. It is a collection of laws that regulate how much a landlord can raise (or must reduce) the rent, limit the reasons for eviction, and more. Rent control and eviction protections work together, so that the landlord doesn't get around a rent limit by evicting the tenant, instead, or vice versa. Rent control is part of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, the ordinances which specially regulate things within the city. The rights you have living in Los Angeles depend on whether your rental unit is under rent control.

For those under rent restrictions, the legal maximum increase had been 3% for the past several years, as of July, 2006, the maximum base increase is now 4%. This "base" amount is subject to 3 different types of surcharges.

(1) If an additional person (not replacement) moves in (other than the first minor child) and resides there more than 30 days (not visiting friend who maintains other residence), the rent may be increased by up to 10% during that occupancy. [Reg 310.07]

(2) The SCEP fee [Systematic Code Enforcement Program] to pay for the building inspectors to check all of the rental units for defects, even if you don't request it; this amount varies and is currently $35.52 per year, or the landlord can tack on $2.96 per month to your rent. The landlord MUST give you a written 30-day notice of this increase or he CANNOT charge it.

(3) The tenant's half of the rent registration fee is $9.35 per year, assessable once in June of each year. The landlord MUST give you a written 30-day notice of this increase or he CANNOT charge it. When your rent is increased, the SCEP and registration fees are not increased by that percentage, but the higher rent for the additional occupant IS included in the 4% base increase thereafter.

The Rent Stabilization Board of Los Angeles [RSB] is part of the city Housing Department, which also sends out Code Enforcement building inspectors to cite the landlords for substandard buildings, and require the landlord to make repairs. Rent Stabilization Board makes its own Regulations to clarify the rent control law, and help in applying it.

Last edited by think.reciprocity; 09-23-2007 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Missing Paragraph Markers...

Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
The city i live in has rent control but it goes up in jan.o8.We are having a tenant meeting this thurs to discuaa the owners proposal of a 3 yr lease with a 3 yr option to renew.The rent icrease would be exactly what the city would allow if on rent control.The only diff is we pay no rent control fee.Im for it but a few die hard city/rent control supporters are against it.90% of the tenants must approve it.Ill hope for the best.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,122 times
<p></p>

Old 09-19-2010, 12:00 PM

<P>How do i find out if my unit in LA is registered under rencontrol?</P>

Old 09-19-2010, 12:05 PM

how do I find out if my unit in City of LA is registered under rent control?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:09 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
From the L.A. City website:

To be subject to the RSO of the City of Los Angeles, a property must meet the following three criteria:

1. The property must be within the City of Los Angeles; and
2. There must be two or more units on the lot; and
3. The building must have a Certificate of Occupancy issued on or before October 1, 1978. (In the case of mobile homes and mobile home pads, the park must have been issued a permit to operate before February 10, 1986).

Rent Stabilization Ordinance

I hope this helps!

Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeph Fitzpatrick View Post
how do I find out if my unit in City of LA is registered under rent control?
This information should be mentioned somewhere in your lease packet.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:28 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
The owner of a rent controlled building cannot raise the rent more than 4%, however, even before they raise the rent they must have permission from the city to do so.

Here's what some owners do before they apply to raise the rent...They offer apartments for rent with fairly large concessions, placing their rents at or below average market price. This pretty much guarantees they will be allowed to raise the rents. Then, the next year when it comes time to renew your lease your price will jump dramatically.

Example...

You agree to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $900 a month for 12 months with a concession of $95. Once the 12 months is up your rent will now be $995. Plus, if you've been given a special low security to move-in many owners will try to raise your security every year after that until it equals what the normal security would be. This extra charge will be added to your monthly rent. If the security in normally $800 and you only paid $300 on move-in they will try to get the other $500 gradually.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:35 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,975,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
The owner of a rent controlled building cannot raise the rent more than 4%, however, even before they raise the rent they must have permission from the city to do so.

Here's what some owners do before they apply to raise the rent...They offer apartments for rent with fairly large concessions, placing their rents at or below average market price. This pretty much guarantees they will be allowed to raise the rents. Then, the next year when it comes time to renew your lease your price will jump dramatically.

Example...

You agree to rent a 1 bedroom apartment for $900 a month for 12 months with a concession of $95. Once the 12 months is up your rent will now be $995. Plus, if you've been given a special low security to move-in many owners will try to raise your security every year after that until it equals what the normal security would be. This extra charge will be added to your monthly rent. If the security in normally $800 and you only paid $300 on move-in they will try to get the other $500 gradually.

I guess I must be a one in a million landlord.
I have NEVER collected this fee from my tenants, and Have NEVER, and will NEVER raise the rent on any of my tenants.
I don't care if the tenant stays in the unit 25 years, their rent is the same as the day they moved in.
I have done thousands and thousands of capital improvements over the years, and never once passed the cost on too the tenants, even tho the city says I can.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles