Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 04:28 PM

6 posts, read 13,646 times

Advertisements

I'll be heading to USC for graduate school come August. As a doctoral candidate, I get a pretty decent stipend. That being said, from my browsing the forum, it seems the cost of living in LA is astronomical and that living around USC is a lackluster option. So where can I live and make do?

My preferences: A public transportation commute, the shorter the better. I know the Silver Line Rapid Bus serves USC, and that the Expo Line will soon (when is the first segment - the part out to Crenshaw - supposed to open anyways: Is it still on track for mid-2010?). An efficiency: I don't need a lot of space, but I would prefer a kitchen or kitchenette and my own bathroom. And a safe location - something decently well lit and free of crime. A modest amount of nightlife or restaurants would be a bonus, but it's not necessary.

I am coming from DC, and for various reasons, I plan on leaving LA during the summer months. At least for my first year, I don't plan on having a car. My budget is $1000-1200 a month after utilities. Is downtown feasible? Is the area immediately north of USC livable, considering their cruiser program, for someone with decent urban awareness skills? What other options are available? If there's not much, I will of course consider a roommate, but I'd love some general thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
downtown would be my first option, i have no idea what kind of options you'll have in your price range though. a car shouldn't be necessary either as you can bus it to the campus or use the car sharing program at usc. as for safety, there is nowhere in LA that is free of crime, especially around USC. petty theft and drugs are common in downtown as well. if you get a bike, lock it up well! having said that, many (if not all) of the newer buildings downtown are extremely secure.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,865 times
live in grad school housing on campus during your 1st year and then you'll be able to see whether a car is necessary or not. Plus you'll be able to meet friends/colleagues who may become potential roommates. My friend's sister did that while attending UCLA Med and only got a car halfway into her 2nd year. Good luck in your research!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
I agree that downtown or USC's grad school housing (not sure what they have available, but would check it out, just in case...) sounds like a good option. Not crime-free, but safe enough, unless you're out walking alone a lot at late hours. (and if you do keep late hours, at least a cab ride from USC to a downtown apartment, if necessary, would be easy and cheap). For what it's worth, we moved to LA from DC and were pleasantly surprised with LA's public transportation; I don't drive and managed just fine for the three years we lived in the area. We found prices in LA and DC to be about the same, with LA perhaps being even a little cheaper.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:48 PM

132 posts, read 364,443 times
There's a 25 cent DASH bus (route F I think) from downtown to USC campus. I know one of the new subway lines goes there too, I thought I heard it was open already, at least a segment of it, but I could be wrong. Downtown living alone might be pushing it on your budget, but with a roommate would easily be do-able.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:06 AM

73 posts, read 205,163 times
If it's UCLA, yes. If it's USC, no. Especially if you happen to be a girl. Why? = there are some bad bad parts of downtown! I was there last Sunday

Old 04-14-2010, 05:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I think without a car and your plans to return to the east during the summer months you best bet would be grad housing. USC isn't in the best of locations. (safety wise)

Nita

Old 04-14-2010, 11:03 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,252,103 times
If you're going to be at the UPC Campus, the area around there is full of petty crime. Not many murders, but lots of stolen laptops, bikes, sometimes at knife point.

You could survive without a car if you learn the metro schedules. Also USC has a tram system that is free for students/faculty. Check that out too.
Auxiliary Services | Transportation | Tram Maps & Schedules

Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 PM

425 posts, read 1,954,999 times
There are nice areas downtown and I saw a bus service that services USC directly, though it seems privately run, so I'm not sure how much it would cost. I would be careful what areas you travel around downtown at night, but that particular area is decent.

A lot of people get around LA without a car, but having a car is very convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles