Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 12:56 AM

70 posts, read 295,540 times

Advertisements

Ok,

I'm moving to Burbank, CA for a summer internship. I won't have a car.

I'm completely lost.

I still haven't found a place to live. Where are good places/locations for an intern like me to live for the summer? The place doesn't have to be Burbank, but as I don't have a car, I'd need to be able to get to Burbank (Yahoo!) by public transportation from wherever I'm living.

I'm looking for a place thats:

1. Commutable by public transportation (no car)
2. Safe
3. Reasonably priced.

In additon to looking for a place to live, I'm also trying to find some barbershop/salon to get my hair cut. Any recommendations?

What about clothes? Where can I go to purchase some jeans/t-shirts/polos/buttondowns/etc? I'm an african american male, but I tend to dress like a "city boy." Touchy subject in some forums, but I don't like the "gangsta" look, and it probably wouldn't get me any favorable reviews at my new job. I dress like a city boy only in my mind, heh, as I'm not particularly good at dressing. Anyway, any rec's for places to get some clothes?

Thanks, all. I'm dying here (of worry).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:04 PM

268 posts, read 1,199,794 times
Greatfire:

Might be able to help you a little better if you could say where exactly you're going to be interning, or at least the street it's on. I'm fairly familiar with Burbank and might be able to give you some tips with more info.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM

12 posts, read 64,615 times
Default Burbank

greatfire... don't worry. Burbank is really nice. I would recommend moving close to the movie studios... near Warner Bros. and Universal Studios. Check the apts. on Magnolia or Cahuenga Blvd. If you're looking for inexpensive, the apartments in Valley Village are close to public transportation, and a bit cheaper than Burbank. You can probably find a studio apartment for $850 and a one bedroom for around $1000.

There are tons of clothing stores. The Burbank Mall would be a good place to start. Another town next to Burbank is Studio City, and along Ventura Blvd. there are a lot of stores. If you're on the other end of Burbank, the Glendale Galleria would be a good place to shop. Look on Google maps to see where you're working, and depending which part of town you're closest to, you can find an apt. in that area. Don't worry about where to get a haircut. There are salons every few blocks! Somewhere inexpensive would be a Fantastic Sams or Supercuts.

Good luck with your internship.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 PM

332 posts, read 2,149,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyGirl View Post
Somewhere inexpensive would be a Fantastic Sams or Supercuts.
lol... Supercuts isn't cheap anymore... hasn't been for a long time. it costs 16 bucks for a crappy mens cut and they don't know how to cut hair. the good barber shops only charge 12-15 and do a great job.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:32 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
I lived in Burbank for 31 years.... if you're looking to be centerally located, try finding a place around the Burbank Mall. Like around the Glenoaks Blvd. area. Shopping (there's even a hair place in that mall) and bus service close by!
Best of luck on your intership!

Old 12-09-2011, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 23,035 times
I think the Yahoo building is near the airport. LA is not a good city to not have a car in. Our metro is a joke. You'll be bussing it most of the time. I'd suggest you live really close by. Maybe even pick up a cheap bike from Target or the likes. You'll hate our public transportation. You'll have to look for a barber shop in North Hollywood on Lankershim. You won't find much in the way of black hairstylists in the valley, or at least not easily. You can get clothes wherever. The Burbank Mall and the Burbank Empire Center have all the normal chains you'd expect.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:55 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
Magnolia Blvd has some really nice thrift stores all up & down it. So check those out.

My favorite place for a haircut is Frenchie's (this is after getting a year of bad haircuts all around Burbank/Silverlake/LA). My husband gets his haircut at Frenchie's too, now, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles