U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2010, 01:56 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,239,761 times
Default NoHo, Pasadena, Burbank, Glendale, or ......?

Hi all,
My husband, 3 month old, & myself are looking to move back to LA after being away for 2 years. We are looking for a single family house in a safe area, 1200+ sq ft, at LEAST 2 bedrooms (but would have to have a bonus room if only 2. Need an office). We can only spend up to $350K.

I like Burbank & Glendale because of the school systems (and I just like the area), however I'm pretty sure they're out of our price range. So, we're willing to forfeit a decent school system for now (and plan on moving again when our daughter is ready for school).

Any suggestions? I was thinking North Hollywood or Pasadena. Any other areas I should be looking? I barely know Pasadena at all. I know NoHo has some decent areas and some really crappy areas, but I can't tell what those areas are by looking at a map (we lived in Hollywood, West Hollywood, & West LA and didn't spend a whole lot of time in the Valley).

We're coming for a visit at the beginning of June to look. Any advice (other than "Why are you coming here" or "Don't move here") would be welcome. Oh, and we both work from home so we can live anywhere.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 03:37 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,777,912 times
For your price range, and given your circumstances, I'd say to look in West Covina or Glendora. I think your budget is too low for Pasadena, Glendale or Burbank (although you can research that, of course).

Buying a house just now isn't the best idea - I'd rent for a while while the market completes its adjustment.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 307,405 times
NOHO....its really changing for the BETTER and loads of great property deals.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM

47,263 posts, read 37,235,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
For your price range, and given your circumstances, I'd say to look in West Covina or Glendora. I think your budget is too low for Pasadena, Glendale or Burbank (although you can research that, of course).

Buying a house just now isn't the best idea - I'd rent for a while while the market completes its adjustment.
wow, I don't think you are going to get much in Glendora for that price? Of course I realize OP said a 2 bedroom, about 1200 sq feet, but to get the Glendora schools she and hubby will have to stay a little north. I wouldn't do West Covina if schools are a concern. Of course they have a long time before they will have kids in school.

Monrovia might be an other possibility.

As for not buying now, I am not sure if that is true or not. If someone is looking and knows they will be staying in an area for 5 years or more I think now might be a good time to buy. that is just my opinion, it is still a gamble..

Nita

Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM

47,263 posts, read 37,235,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
NOHO....its really changing for the BETTER and loads of great property deals.
Problem with No Hollywood, Los Angeles schools, I would rather see my kids in Pasadena schools than Los Angeles.

Nita

Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM

446 posts, read 801,229 times
I agree with Chichappens.

Based on your price point, you will most likely have to settle on the North Hollywood area. You are absolutely correct that some parts are better than other parts. It's very sporadic, but the best rule of thumb to go by is staying south of Oxnard Street.

To Chichappens point, because it is changing for the better and because it is situated smack dab between affluent areas (Toluca Lake, Universal City, Burbank, Valley Village), you should get in on it sooner than later.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 3,538,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
I agree with Chichappens.

Based on your price point, you will most likely have to settle on the North Hollywood area. You are absolutely correct that some parts are better than other parts. It's very sporadic, but the best rule of thumb to go by is staying south of Oxnard Street.

To Chichappens point, because it is changing for the better and because it is situated smack dab between affluent areas (Toluca Lake, Universal City, Burbank, Valley Village), you should get in on it sooner than later.
I agree too. The area around North Hollywood station especially, not my old neighborhood which is still kind of ghetto (but is getting better ), is becoming nicer and nicer.

To add to this, you should generally avoid the area north of Cumpston, south of Hatteras, east of Lankershim, and west of Fulcher. This area is getting better VERY SLOWLY, but is still rife with gang members and drug dealers. Most everything north of Oxnard is ok, but keep in mind that there are kids around my age who are shady.

If you're sending your kids to a local LAUSD school, try to get them in a Magnet Program (for gifted/high achieving students with access to better resources). North Hollywood High is a Highly Gifted Magnet (my brother and sister went there), with many of their students going off to Ivy League/Stanford/Berkeley/Other UC's. I myself went to Balboa Elementary in Northridge (got bussed from North Hollywood everyday), Porter MS, and Van Nuys HS, all of which have good Magnet programs.

Get in on the North Hollywood boom while its still cheap.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your comments.

Our daughter won't be in school for another 5 years, so I'll worry about that then (and, quite frankly, I've never lived anywhere longer than 3 years or so).

Old 04-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Someone just suggested Highland Park as it is "up & coming." What do you think of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles