Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 AM

2,964 posts, read 5,426,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think when a person lives in a very dry climate you begin to long for rain. This year is has rained quite a bit [even some storms this month]. But the rain season is pretty short [Nov-March] and never reliable. By autumn the hillsides are dangerously dried out & when the santa ana winds hit it becomes prime wildfire time. Not very pleasant when the smoke moves into the basin & coastline. If it rained more often and during summer we wouldn't have these fires.
Another contradiction is with more rainfall you get the very overgrowth that turns the mountains into a tinderbox--and it's a quick turnaround from green to hay--during those reliable stretches of summer. So there's really not much I can say that could be changed without a dramatic consequence. Southern California's weather is exciting that way. The drama's just not all in the sky where it can stay more or less benign. Wildfires > stripped hills > floods and mudslides...that's boring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 11:49 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,941,894 times
It wouldn't be southern California and a Mediterranean climate if there was rain in the summer or snow in the winter. That's what makes it different from most of the U.S. However, from my perspective, the best Mediterranean climate I've experienced is in Greece. The Mediterranean is a warm sea and so being adjacent to the coast there does not equate to substantially cooler temperatures, fog, and cool nights in the summer.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,456,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica88 View Post
I don't care what kind of weather that we have as long as it's CONSISTENT! My body can't handle the whole "inferno" one day and "penguin weather" the next day.
The only places on earth where you will get reliably consistent weather are either at/near the equator (tropics), or near either of the poles.

I have heard that the same weather over long periods of time can leave the body weakened as well. I am thinking of the tropics, especially at low elevations, where the constant very warm and humid weather leaves people semi-drained much of the time (if any have other experiences with this, please contribute).

Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I know I shouldn't "complain" about our fantastic weather...but this recent spat of cold and gray highlights for me what I really DISLIKE about our otherwise benign climate.

That is, I really hate our "cool" springs including the "may gray/june gloom" AS WELL AS our COLD nights...even in the middle of summer.

Basically, I wish our SPRING weather would bring:

1) daily HIGHS would be Mid-'70's to low 80's;
2) daily LOWS would NOT fall BELOW 65 degrees.

All the above with LOW HUMIDITY. Wish our summer nights were warmer too!!
Go to Disneyland and go on as many of the inside rides as possible if you don't like the weather on any given day. Maybe you can sleep in.

With all the problems that this area faces, the climate is the least of them.

Oh, and for what's it worth, our summer nights are warm enough.

Last edited by mrsltd; 04-24-2010 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: word usage

Old 04-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
daily LOWS would NOT fall BELOW 65 degrees.
Ha! That's high summer you're talking about if ever, and sometimes not even then.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:41 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
I certainly would not change our winters. There aren't many regions in the U.S. that are as mild as SoCal during winter. Cities in Texas\ Gulf Coast\ Florida are significantly colder than Los Angeles. Phoenix & Dallas are basically at the same latitude as LA. The other cities are much further south of anywhere in California:

January average maximum\ minimum:
Los Angeles: 68\ 48
Phoenix: 65\ 43
Dallas: 55\ 36
Houston: 63\ 45
New Orleans: 62\ 45
Jacksonville: 64\ 44
Tampa: 70\ 52
Orlando: 71\ 49

July average maximum\ minimum:
Los Angeles: 83\ 64
Phoenix: 104\ 81
Dallas: 96\ 76
Houston: 93\ 75
New Orleans: 91\ 75
Jacksonville: 90\ 73
Tampa: 89\ 75
Orlando: 92\ 72

To be fair, beyond the coast\basin it is 10+F warmer but still LA is very mild compared to much of the nation. Are these perfect temperatures for human comfort or not?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 PM

963 posts, read 3,021,233 times
What this thread points out is that "a good climate" is more a matter of a good fit between the given location and the preferences of any given individual than it a matter of an objective ideal. There are some in L.A. who despise chilly temperatures and like consistency. They would probably be happier in Oaxaca or the Kona Coast. Others like seasonal variation with increased precipitation and would be happier in Eugene, OR or Boise, ID. Some could find a better fit within the continental U.S. while others settle for L.A. because it's as close as they can come in the U.S. to their hypothetical ideal. As has been said already, we tend to pine for the climatic features that we don't have wherever it is we live at present.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,685,402 times
What would I change about L.A.'s climate? Well a few things:

1. More rain during the summer like those humid subtropical places. That would clean up the air in a hurry and we wouldn't have so much smog and/or dryness. Even monsoons like Tucson AZ would be nice
2. Winter temperatures just a bit cooler. I think that for me, L.A. isn't cold enough. It is a joke here during the winter. Any healthy person could handle it easily with the proper clothes IMO. That said, there are some chilly nights but overall, not cold enough for me.
These are the two main things I'd change about the climate here. It is true that those places that are subtropical get more humid summers but dry heat is hot too. Humidity is better for the skin, hair and nails but hot is hot.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 AM

736 posts, read 2,285,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
It wouldn't be southern California and a Mediterranean climate if there was rain in the summer or snow in the winter. That's what makes it different from most of the U.S. However, from my perspective, the best Mediterranean climate I've experienced is in Greece. The Mediterranean is a warm sea and so being adjacent to the coast there does not equate to substantially cooler temperatures, fog, and cool nights in the summer.

Great point....and from a Ft. Collins resident no less. Good to get your "outside" prespective.

I'd like to import some of that Greek climate and warmer ocean temps. We've already know how to create fiscal crises...so we understand the Greeks. And I am pretty sure Athens knows a thing or two about smog.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM

28 posts, read 50,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
I know I shouldn't "complain" about our fantastic weather...but this recent spat of cold and gray highlights for me what I really DISLIKE about our otherwise benign climate.

That is, I really hate our "cool" springs including the "may gray/june gloom" AS WELL AS our COLD nights...even in the middle of summer.

Basically, I wish our SPRING weather would bring:

1) daily HIGHS would be Mid-'70's to low 80's;
2) daily LOWS would NOT fall BELOW 65 degrees.

All the above with LOW HUMIDITY. Wish our summer nights were warmer too!!
Perhaps it is our friendly sky's who cause the strange weather patterns.

Chemtrails environmental modification earthquake weapon electromagnetic warfare chemtrail spraying aerosol fibers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3gKa0z7rjM

Chemtrails And Weather Mod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles