Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, I'll be coming from Miami. I'm used to the crime and everything involved with a big city, although in Miami, it is a bit different because there is anywhere from the lower class newly arrived immigrants to the rich that don't speak a word of English. I like this kind of environment and I was mainly looking for areas that might be like this with the different latin american restaurants. I just wouldn't want to go into an area that would be covered by gangs etc. I don't think there are really gangs in Miami like there are in Los Angeles although for all I know this could be overplayed.
No, compared to Miami where Spanish is spoken in all economic sections of the city, LA is different. The Cuban population of Miami includes many middle-class and wealthy people who fled Cuba after Castro took power. Most located in So Florida. In California the Spanish-speakers are mostly Mexican-Americans who either speak both English and Spanish fluently or recent immigrants who only speak Spanish. There are areas of Los Angeles where Spanish is most definitely the dominate language but mostly among immigrants and these areas tend to be lower-income barrios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 04:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Don't overlook Downtown LA as a possibilty. The young professional crowd is a mix of white, asian, black, and Latino (of all races). That said, you also have the historic Brodway corridor which on any given Saturday or Sunday is like walking down a street in Mexico City (meaning: spanish is THE primary language). You would love the rush of energy, historic buildings, and ethnic foods and stores. At a minimum, go check it out on a Saturday afternoon.....a VERY, VERY unique street.

Broadway from 3rd Street to 9th.....not many places like it. The largest concentration of World War I era movie theatres in the USA, the Grand Central Market (in operation since 1917), the historic Bradbury Building (seen in movies like Bladerunner), and the historic heart of LA for generations of Latino immigrants in LA. Move one street over to Spring Street and you are on LA's Gallery Row...which has a bustling art scene and many lofts in renovated historic buildings.
Downtown seems like the best possibility for what the OP's looking for....

Old 05-05-2010, 04:31 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
No, compared to Miami where Spanish is spoken in all economic sections of the city, LA is different. The Cuban population of Miami includes many middle-class and wealthy people who fled Cuba after Castro took power. Most located in So Florida. In California the Spanish-speakers are mostly Mexican-Americans who either speak both English and Spanish fluently or recent immigrants who only speak Spanish. There are areas of Los Angeles where Spanish is most definitely the dominate language but mostly among immigrants and these areas tend to be lower-income barrios.

I was trying to say this in an earlier post...CalSur stated it more clearly and succinctly than I did.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Yeah, all the posts were extremely helpful here. It helped me put the two cities into perspective. Also, I really liked that suggestion of downtown LA. That sounds exactly what I'm looking for and if it is like it was described, sounds like its possible that i'd enjoy LA more than Miami which is near impossible

Old 05-05-2010, 05:01 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
dtla is an excellent choice!
since you are coming from miami you should also know that traditionally cubans in LA concentrated themselves in the small city of bell. they then "moved up" to the cities of glendale, downey and whittier. but i think bell might still have larger percentages of cubans. all thsoe 4 cities are relatively safe. bell and downey might have more "latino" diversity. nicaraguan, peruvian, cuban, mexican, guatemalan, ecuadorian (as evidenced by restaurants).

Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
My question, related to his, and I'm not trying to be controversial either.

I read some statistics that Los Angeles has more millionaire Latinos than any other metro in the USA. Are all these people second, third generation Latinos? Do these Latinos and other ethnicities looked down on first generation immigrants and assume that if you are a first generation latino you are low class and uneducated? Are assumptions about class made when Los Angeles residents hear someone with a non native American accent?

Just curious because in Miami you can pretty much be of any class and attain any job even with a Spanish accent.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
My question, related to his, and I'm not trying to be controversial either.

1) I read some statistics that Los Angeles had more millionaire Latinos than any other metro in the USA.

2) Just curious because in Miami you can pretty much be of any class and attain any job even with a Spanish accent.
1) LA has MORE Latinos (in Total numbers) than any other metro area....so it follows we'd have more Latino millionaires. I don't have the data but I am guessing Miami might have a higher number per capita.

2) Same is true in LA...assuming you have the skills and education. Ever hear of plastic surgeon Dr. Rey on that plastic surgery reality TV show. Granted he is Brazilian but you get my point.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, all the posts were extremely helpful here. It helped me put the two cities into perspective. Also, I really liked that suggestion of downtown LA. That sounds exactly what I'm looking for and if it is like it was described, sounds like its possible that i'd enjoy LA more than Miami which is near impossible

Glad we could help out....

Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Well, we don't want to pump Downown LA up too much. It is very eclectic and interesting. That said, downtown LA is still a work in progress....but it has jumped leaps and bounds over the last 5 or 10 years.

I would also note that downtown LA has many different "districts" or "neighborhoods" with different flavors or personalities. So I am confident you could find something to your liking....assuming you like "urban" living (which it sounds like you do).

One of the COOLEST and most INTERESTING events in all of SoCalif. takes place on the 2nd Thursday of every month on Downtown LA's Gallery Row on Spring and Main Streets. The Downtown ArtWalk.

See the link here:
Los Angeles Art Walk | Art Galleries Los Angeles | Art Gallery Los Angeles

All the art galleries are open to the public and the sidewalks and bars are filled with throngs of people. There are live bands performing at certain intersections. For a moment you MIGHT think you are in San Francisco or even NYC...but with an LA (or spanish) accent.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:42 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I love downtown LA. It's definitely a fun place.

People with Spanish accents can succeed at any level of business; I doubt people will make an assumption based on accent. The most successful Spanish-speaking people will almost certainly speak English, too, though. There are definitely successful first-generation immigrants, too. I think assumptions as far as education, class, etc., are more likely to come from other things, like overall context when you meet someone. I'm not Latino, though, so this is from the perspective of someone who has met and worked with middle-class and wealthy first-generation (and second, third, and so on) Latino Angelenos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles