Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to California: Los Angeles, traffic, rent an apt, downtown, make friends.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 AM

60 posts, read 168,254 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'm about to receive an offer for a job in downtown LA. I need some advice on apt bldgs and neighborhoods. Was hoping not to spend much more than $2100 on apt., but would also like gated parking in a nice, updated bldg. I know commuting is horrific in LA, but I know I don't want to live in downtown, Los Feliz or W. Hollywood. Also, I'm single in my 30s, coming from NYC so I was hoping to find an apt in area where I could maybe walk to grab a coffee or something and not have to get in a car for everything.

I've seen some nice bldgs in Bev Hills and the mid-wilshire area...would these be good suggestions? Also, any thoughts on Sherman Oaks or Studio City? Seems you can get more bang for your buck in these areas, but would I be putting myself in suburbia and removing myself from excitement?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 10:07 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
My kids both found nice apartments with a reserved parking spot west of downtown, around the area of I-405 and I-10. I believe the areas are called West Los Angeles, Brentwood and Westwood. The apartments are within your price limit, and they walk to coffeshops, bookstores and lots of other stuff.

Nice areas with a lot to do, and only a few miles from the action of Santa Monica, Hollywood and Venice Beach.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:00 AM

17 posts, read 71,940 times
Coming from NY, you might be in for a huge shock when you arrive in LA. People don't walk here. And when you do walk, people look at you as if there's something wrong with you. I have co-workers who drive if they have to travel 3 blocks.

It's pretty tough - though not impossible, I'm sure - to find what you're looking for. I live in Marina del Rey and am fortunate enough to have a supermarket and Starbucks in walking distance, but that seems to be a rarity in LA. If you live in Santa Monica or West Hollywood, you'll be able to walk to places, but those areas can be pretty expensive.

I personally have never been to Sherman Oaks or Studio City. I've heard the former is pretty suburban and also a nightmare of a commute to downtown. All I know about Studio City is that there are supposedly some good restaurants there. Might be worth checking out and I think it's an easier commute.

Best of luck to you! I hope you have an easier time than I have. I've been here almost 6 months and am trying to move back to NYC already. Just having an extremely tough time adapting to life in LA. I'm sure it's great for some, but I'm an east coast city girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf123 View Post
Looks like I'm about to receive an offer for a job in downtown LA. I need some advice on apt bldgs and neighborhoods. Was hoping not to spend much more than $2100 on apt., but would also like gated parking in a nice, updated bldg. I know commuting is horrific in LA, but I know I don't want to live in downtown, Los Feliz or W. Hollywood. Also, I'm single in my 30s, coming from NYC so I was hoping to find an apt in area where I could maybe walk to grab a coffee or something and not have to get in a car for everything.

I've seen some nice bldgs in Bev Hills and the mid-wilshire area...would these be good suggestions? Also, any thoughts on Sherman Oaks or Studio City?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 AM

60 posts, read 168,254 times
Thanks shellinca...just curious...why has it been so tough for you to adapt? I'm def an east coast gal too, but I am ready for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellinca View Post
Coming from NY, you might be in for a huge shock when you arrive in LA. People don't walk here. And when you do walk, people look at you as if there's something wrong with you. I have co-workers who drive if they have to travel 3 blocks.

It's pretty tough - though not impossible, I'm sure - to find what you're looking for. I live in Marina del Rey and am fortunate enough to have a supermarket and Starbucks in walking distance, but that seems to be a rarity in LA. If you live in Santa Monica or West Hollywood, you'll be able to walk to places, but those areas can be pretty expensive.

I personally have never been to Sherman Oaks or Studio City. I've heard the former is pretty suburban and also a nightmare of a commute to downtown. All I know about Studio City is that there are supposedly some good restaurants there. Might be worth checking out and I think it's an easier commute.

Best of luck to you! I hope you have an easier time than I have. I've been here almost 6 months and am trying to move back to NYC already. Just having an extremely tough time adapting to life in LA. I'm sure it's great for some, but I'm an east coast city girl.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 PM

17 posts, read 71,940 times
Hard to explain. Perhaps I haven't given it enough time, but LA just doesn't feel like home to me. I've found it very difficult to make new friends here, compared to NYC and DC (where I went to grad school).

Traffic is a total nightmare. It could be Saturday afternoon and the freeways will be clogged. In NY, it was so easy to get together with friends for dinner or drinks because nearly everyone works in Manhattan and all you had to do was walk, take the subway or hail a cab and get to your destination very quickly. In LA, between the traffic and the fact that the city is so spread out, something as simple as grabbing a drink after work can be a hassle and not worth the trouble. Maybe you get used to the traffic after a while and accept the fact that it takes 45 minutes to get everywhere. I'm just not there yet.

I too was ready for a change and was lured by thoughts of warm weather, the beach and palm trees. But I learned there's a big difference between visiting a place and actually living there. And I guess I feel like I've simply traded one set of headaches for another.

I really don't mean to try and dissuade you, though. You might love it out here! Many people do, including other transplanted east coasters. One of the few good friends I've met here, who also relocated from NY, absolutely loves it here and will probably never move back to the east coast. Granted, he doesn't like that it takes him 45 minutes to drive 2.5 miles to work, but he's willing to accept that in exchange for living in a warm climate near hiking trails. So, just depends on what you're willing to tolerate.

I do wish you luck and hope you have a more positive experience. Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf123 View Post
Thanks shellinca...just curious...why has it been so tough for you to adapt? I'm def an east coast gal too, but I am ready for a change.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:01 PM

217 posts, read 845,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellinca View Post
Granted, he doesn't like that it takes him 45 minutes to drive 2.5 miles to work, but he's willing to accept that in exchange for living in a warm climate near hiking trails.
I hope that was an exaggeration, because if he seriously lives that close to work and likes to hike besides I can't see why he wouldn't just walk or bike to work.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:22 AM

642 posts, read 3,072,585 times
Yes, I live in Brentwood and I walk everywhere and have access to everything within that distance. I could easily bike to the beach or to the Santa Monica business district or even walk there if I really wanted some serious exercise and catch a cab or bus home. The area you spoke of is all completely walkable. I can walk to the top of my block for amazing hikes and bike to areas not far away or drive that have the most incredible hiking within a 10 minute drive from my home, maybe even less.

People don't look at me strangely and even if they did, I would never care. Besides reality number one about this town is people are too busy checking themselves out and obsessing about themselves to notice anyone else unless they have to stop their car for you. That is about the only attention a walker will get in this town is if they make someone put on a brake. Otherwise, Nata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
My kids both found nice apartments with a reserved parking spot west of downtown, around the area of I-405 and I-10. I believe the areas are called West Los Angeles, Brentwood and Westwood. The apartments are within your price limit, and they walk to coffeshops, bookstores and lots of other stuff.

Nice areas with a lot to do, and only a few miles from the action of Santa Monica, Hollywood and Venice Beach.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:26 AM

17 posts, read 78,067 times
If you're lucky and shop around, or have a connection, you can get a place in Silverlake for that. In fact, if Silverlake interests you, PM me, I know a nice place that'll be available in September or October. (small 2 bdrm house with off street parking, yard, quiet street)

Old 06-29-2007, 12:55 PM

22 posts, read 201,306 times
I think you should consider and/or look into Pasadena. The commute to downtown is much better than from the west side. You can live close to Lake Ave which has lots of coffee and eateries along with shopping or Old Town Pasadena which has great nightlife in addition to the others. I have several friends who live near both and walk everywhere all the time. And you shouldn't have a problem finding a very nice 1 bedroom apt or townhome in your price range either. Sounds like a perfect fit to me!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:28 PM

80 posts, read 477,447 times
Another recommendation for Pasadena. You could also potentially take the orange line of the MTA subway to downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles