Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 8,457 times

Advertisements

Cost of living in LA / NYC?

Hi all, could use a little help.

I want to go study in LA or NYC (same school) next year, but don’t know how much it will cost to live there, I’m going to be there for a minimum of 20 months, maybe 2 years.

The problem with LA is transport, I would have to buy a car which would bring up the price, but allowing me to live further away from the more expensive areas. This then would bring the price back down a little.
In NYC a Metrocard would be enough, cost $100 per month, and needs no fixing, gas etc.

A place to stay, I need the cheapest available, roommate(s) would be best right? Just a bed to sleep in, privacy I can get in the bath. The price is much the same I think LA or NYC, $600 - $850 per month, right? Everything included.

Food, would $500 per month be enough, where I live now (Denmark – one of the most expensive places in the world) $400 is enough. I am doing the cooking myself, cheap foods, pasta, bread etc.
I don’t need steaks or anything fancy, I don’t need to eat out in a restaurant once a week.

Fun, I don’t go clubbing (hate it), I don’t drink that much, a few beers somewhere with friends would be fine, and I don’t smoke. Maybe a show every now and then, I really don’t care for these things, last time I was at the movies was back in 2001. Prefer to watch a dvd with friends.

Extras, laundry (important), toilet paper etc. how much?
Maybe a cheap phone for local calls.

I don’t need to go shopping for new clothes or anything.

I’ll be studying, studying, studying and studying. Just need to live like a student, a little food in my belly, a place to sleep and clean clothes.

Also, what’s the atmosphere like in these places? And what are people like, how would they treat me? (might be a strange question, but you'd be surprised of how people treat others around the world)

Which place would you choose?

Is $1,250 - $1,500 per month enough? Please be, please please please

Thank you

I'll be 27 by the time I'm leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Some words of wisdom I've learned over the years, whatever you think for your budget, figure it is going to be more expensive than what you budget. When you move to a new place you have to figure in different fees, don't try to make calculations on the low side or how you think you'll live, because many things come up.

A lot of the things you say sound a little bit on the naive side and I think you could easily face a reality check when you get here. Are you coming to CA on a scholarship? It is 30,000 dollars+ a year for university unless you are a resident.

Cost of living will be expensive in both LA and NYC, but NYC will be more expensive. You could rent out the room of a house but if you think you are going to live on 1200-1500 per month and pay rent in either of these cities I think you are really pushing your luck and looking to get sent back to where you came from with your tail between your legs.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:49 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,605 times
Where in Los Angeles is the school?

If you are talking $1500/month total, that sounds a little light. Renting a room with utilities included is probably around $800 and I am starting to see that nudge up a bit. $400 for food sounds like plenty. That leaves $300/month for everything else. If you get a car, that will take the $300 right there (at least)

What would you do for medical insurance? I am not suggesting you don't have it covered, I am just curious.

I would plan about $2500/month and live on $2000/month.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:34 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
NYC is definitely overall more expensive, but a couple of questions: why do you "have" to buy a car in LA? Are you absolutely positive that you will need one, or are you basing that on the "everyone in LA drives" stereotype? Cars -- buying one, maintaining it, gas, insurance -- are expensive, and many students in LA don't own them.

You can get by on far less than $500/month for food, though. Laundry costs vary.

I agree that $1500/month sounds pretty tight, especially if you're thinking of getting a car.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:44 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,186,024 times
manhattan is much more expensive than LA, but the prime spots of LA are cheaper than the outer buroughs of NY. also, you might not necessarily need a car, it depends on where your school is and where you want to live.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 AM

274 posts, read 1,217,574 times
I think your budget sounds about right for that kind of lifestyle myself as long as health insurance is covered.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 AM

274 posts, read 1,217,574 times
car insurance is expensive if you have no driving history in the US- i think we pay $120 a month so bear that in mind but if you live frugally and buy a cheap second hand car you can manage in that budget0 it will be cheaper then denmark by a long shot. LA is expensive for the US but not compared to europe in my experience so far.good luck in your choice- LA over NY any day if you are not a night life person.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:59 AM

573 posts, read 970,557 times
In NYC 600 to 800 gets you a closet in the bad parts of Harlem or Brooklyn. While it is true many people in NYC get by without owning a car, keep in mind public transportation has had service cutbacks due to a large NY budget gap. Traveling at offpeak times to and from a part time job may take longer then you expect, and you really don't want to be waiting on certain subways/buses in the lee hours of the morning.

Speaking as someone who has not had a car then realized that even in the NY area a car is very necessary, I would spare no expense and get myself a car. I would also learn basic maintenance on that car because car maintenance can be expensive if you don't know where to shop and where to shop basically means learning to do it yourself.

Traveling in NYC itself is easy via subway/buses, but traveling in the outer boroughs via public transportation not as easy or available. Keep this in mind if considering NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles