Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

Grew up in Michigan, so of course I'm a huge hockey fan. Just wondering with the Kings getting good again if the games are pretty fun to go to? How's the fanbase out in LA and is there much competition between the other teams of CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 04:02 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
i think that kings fan showed this year that they were ready for the team to start winning again. the media doesn't really give much attention to the team, but there is definitely a strong fan base. the ducks have become the chief rival of the kings, but the kings still have a stronger fan base. there's also a bit of a rivalry with the sharks, but they have been so good that last few years that the kings have had no chance to compete with them. as for the games, they are fun and the crowd is surprisingly hockey literate considering we're not a hockey market in geographic sense. i usually catch a few games every season and almost always enjoy myself (it really depends on how the kings play). i also used to be able to commute by metro rail to the games, which was extremely convenient.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Been a Sharks and Wings fan most of my life(irony huh?), but moving to LA I'd be more than happy to be a Kings fan, especially if they are rivals with the Ducks. Being in Miami the hockey market is close to 0 and if you go to a Florida panthers games its usually all of the transplants going to the game to cheer on their hometown. I remember going to a Panthers vs Wings game, wore my redwings shirt and ended up being surrounded by people originally from Michigan cheering on the wings. Would be nice to be in an area that's proud of their team haha. Especially because I'm not much of a basketball fan.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:15 PM

142 posts, read 442,099 times
I am NOT a huge sports fan but a buddy of mine is a BIG hockey fan. He plays at a local rink on the weekend and goes to games.

Here's a link to LA hockey fan meet up group:

LA Hockey Fans! (Studio City, CA) - Meetup.com

One interesting thing to note about the LA Kings in regards to their place in LA sports history. They are the ONLY professional sports franchise in the City of Los Angeles that was ORIGINALLY from here. That is to say, the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, etc. all RELOCATED from other cities.

It's true....the Lakers and Dodgers get much more press but the LA Kings are an LA original.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:22 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Been a Sharks and Wings fan most of my life(irony huh?), but moving to LA I'd be more than happy to be a Kings fan, especially if they are rivals with the Ducks. Being in Miami the hockey market is close to 0 and if you go to a Florida panthers games its usually all of the transplants going to the game to cheer on their hometown. I remember going to a Panthers vs Wings game, wore my redwings shirt and ended up being surrounded by people originally from Michigan cheering on the wings. Would be nice to be in an area that's proud of their team haha. Especially because I'm not much of a basketball fan.
there's always a strong presence of tranplants when a canadian team or any of the old school teams comes to town, this is LA after all. however, there will still be good sized crowds of almost all locals when carolina or nashville come to town.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:50 AM

11 posts, read 49,172 times
I went to Game 3 and Game 6 of the Kings Playoffs last month ...and let me tell you, with Game 3 being the KINGS' first playoff game at home for a very long time...the crowd was AMAZING! I have never seen such genuine excitement and unity from fans. Although the Kings don't get as much coverage as the other sports teams in LA, they still have quite a large DEVOTED fan base. Because hockey is not quite as popular in LA when compared to colder regions of the US, people who follow it here are more than likely true fans and not simply jumping on the bandwagon (something that i've noticed)....although this might change as the team gets even better, which would definitely add more media coverage.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Ducks clinch playoff berth with 2-1 victory over Kings | The Fabulous Forum | Los Angeles Times

Kings and Ducks in playoffs at same time for the first time ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles