U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 14,431 times

Advertisements

All,

I will be moving to Irvine and would like to know which is a best school among USC/ UC Irvine /UCLA for Marketing/Strategy/Operations. I have admits from all of these and cannot decide.Also, is there any public transport (metra) from Irvine ->LA

Thanks

Last edited by prisingh; 05-17-2010 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Topic name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM

787 posts, read 1,678,811 times
Speaking from a general standponit with regard to the business schools at each:

UCLA has the best rep, followed by USC, and then UC Irvine.

Of course, you have to consider costs as well. Would your current employer pay for some tuition costs if you enrolled in the Part-Time program?

Also, helpful if you could more clearly note, you are admitted to ALL THREE for the Full-Time programs AND to USC's Part-Time (FEMBA) program??

Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,542,878 times
I think the OP was just saying which school is best of the part time program (UCLA calls their part time program FEMBA (fully employed) and USC calls theirs MBA.PM (professional & managers) [edited to add - I see the title is messed up. I think it was meant to be something like 'UCLA, USC, or UCI for part time MBA program']

To address the question. UCLA and USC are a nod above UCI so I would take one of those. UCLA is ranked slightly higher than USC but USC has a very strong network (way stronger than UCLA). Also in USC, you can take the first year (out of three) on their Irvine campus. You can't go wrong with UCLA or USC.

Last edited by DowntownVentura; 05-17-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 01:37 PM

787 posts, read 1,678,811 times
I agree with DowntownVentura with the caveat that a UCLA degree is MORE recognzied outside of California than is a USC degree. So if you plan on moving say to the east coast after grad school....that is something to consider.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:34 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,921,707 times
UCLA > USC >> UCI

Irvine is improving a lot though I think, but it's still much weaker than the other two.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 AM

12 posts, read 38,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prisingh View Post
All,

I will be moving to Irvine and would like to know which is a best school among USC/ UC Irvine /UCLA for Marketing/Strategy/Operations. I have admits from all of these and cannot decide.Also, is there any public transport (metra) from Irvine ->LA

Thanks
Surprise to hear this question if you already went through the trouble of applying to all these schools, would hope you already did all the school research at this point.

Anderson is ranked higher than Marshall (both top tier) and UC Irvine is considered second-tier as B-schools go.

As the specialties goes all b-schools try to do a general rounded education in the standard biz/mgt fields: strategy, marketing, finance, operations, accounting, technology.

So for USC vs UCLA think it's a wash between strategy/marketing/ops.

What I think is more key (and the biggest benefit for going to b-school) is the network (education is more or less the same, everyone uses the same textbooks and same HBS cases).

Take a look at who your classmates will be and see if they are in the areas/industry you want to be when you're done. Take a look at the alumni network (do a search on linkedin).

Also look at the placement report and see where the graduates go (companies and industry) - pay attention to the placement rates. Even if you're just getting it for a "rubber stamp" and you stay put in your current job you should keep this in mind cause you never know what the future will bring.

And if you're wearing your MBA hat, you do want to look at the ROI and see what the payoff will be.

Businessweek and Payscale did an analysis of MBA pay from various schools over the life of 20 years post-graduate. Hate to say but the rankings matter as far as who gets the best opportunities and pay. USC Marshall tends to be lower cause many grads enter Entertainment/Film where the salaries are much lower and several also start their own businesses.

MBA Pay: The Haul of a Lifetime - BusinessWeek

Another factor is that for awhile USC was the only part-time program to not hold classes on the weekends (for those that didn't want to spend a Saturday going to class), however for UCLA this year they added a weekday only section too. So do factor in lifestyle since you will be doing this for the next 3 or so years.

Another thing, even though you're part-time now you may switch to full-time sometime during your program at which point being in-state at UCLA will be much cheaper than the private cost of USC. Some ppl decide to switch to finish up their studies and also to tap into the full resources of the school as a full-time, especially important for career changers. The career placement offices usually favors F/T over P/T even locking then out to apply for jobs (since P/T already have jobs).

From Irvine, USC is naturally closer but there's folks from Irvine that attend both schools.

Congrats and good luck!

Old 05-31-2010, 10:58 PM

92 posts, read 311,337 times
For reputation of business school, esp the graduate program, UCLA's Anderson business school is the best ranked amongst all the three schools you've listed.

UCLA's campus is also located in a nice part of L.A in westwood.

SC has a good program too, although I would think that their undergraduate business program is better than their master's program.

UC-irvine, I haven't heard much about their business program. But their campus is located in good ol' Orange County and the surrounding area is very nice to go jogging and pretty safe.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 14,431 times
Thank you everyone for the feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or