Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 AM

24 posts, read 40,862 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm a 21 year old Singaporean, looking to apply for grad school in LA. Narrowed down a few schools, and will be visiting SoCal around the end of July.

I'm looking to visit CSU Fullerton, USC, Pepperdine and CSU LA.

Can I get some advice on which area best to find accomodation so as to be able to access the four schools and also some nice places for holidaying purposes? I might rent a car during my stay.

Also, I am planning to stay for a month and soak up the LA vibe, shld I put up at a hotel? or can I find more affordable accomodation like student hostel, service apartments or short-term housing?

I will be travelling with one other person

Thank you so much for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 10:23 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times
You might take a look at craigslist for a short-term sublet.

Also, there is a new upscale short-term rental in downtown LA called 1010 Wilshire or something like that. Not cheap...but they have flexible terms: days, weeks, months, etc. And Downtown LA would put you in a good location to visit all those schools.

July is good beach weather so you might think about staying somewhere like Santa Monica...where you get beach life plus night life.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 PM

hey SoCal,

would santa monica be far from the schools I mentioned and also some places of interest in downtown LA? I'm also very entrenched in the LA rock music scene so wld love to spend some time around sunset boulevard.

I will check out the wilshire

Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Santa Monica is a reasonably good location for you to check out all those schools.

If you are talking about the sunset strip (roxy, whisky) that is in West Hollywood.

Again, i think Santa Monica, Hollywood, West Hollywood, and Downtown LA would be fine places to stay to check those schools out.

Downtown LA is probably the MOST centralized to them all....but really any of the above places will work if you are just popping into town to take a look at them.

Pepperdine's main campus (malibu) is closest to Satna Monica. Downtown LA is VERY close to USC and the closest to CSU LA and CSU Fullerton.

But since you will be in town for up to a month....you might as well stay somewhere that is very APPEALING to you.....be it West Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 PM

sounds great! I will check out CL for accomodation around those areas u mentioned.

for a tourist, do u think Downtown LA is dangerous though?

aside from driving, we like to walk around and look at the streets and shops, but I don't know for sure aside from what I heard from friends, is that downtown LA is dangerous for tourists.

Thank you so much for all your advice so far. if u're around LA when I get there, wld love to buy u a drink

Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM

Downtown LA is safe for tourists.

Just stay away from Skid Row which is bound roughly by:
Los ANgeles Street (west)
Central Ave (east)
3rd Street (north)
8th Street (south)

There aren't many hotels in that area anyway.

The "tourist" areas of downtown are very safe. Obviously, it's a big city and should always exercise caution.

Pletny of tourists stay in downtown all the time. Downtown LA has come a long way in the last 10 years to become a very up and coming neighbohrood with lots of new restaurants, bars, and lofts.

If you do hang out in Downtown LA, here are two very good spots for a drink:

The rooftop of the Standard Hotel
Los Angeles Boutique Hotels | The Standard Downtown LA - Rooms | - The Standard Hotel

The Edison Lounge and Bar:
The Edison ... living history in Downtown Los Angeles

Again, both very safe places to go at night. The Edison opened in 2006 and is a very unique bar for LA...more like being in San Francisco than in LA. 40 foot ceilings in a historic building...very nice.

The rooftop of the Standard Hotel is a great summertime hang out with views of the City Skyline. Yes, you get some snobby attitudes at times but it's a great place to relax and enjoy the summer. I saw Snoop Dog there once...he was very cool with people coming up to him and he was very friendly. No attitide there.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:52 PM

Since you mentioned interest in downtown Los Angeles and you will be in town for a month. I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Downtown Artwalk which is held the 2nd Thursday of every month (or July 8th). See link.

Los Angeles Art Walk | Art Galleries Los Angeles | Art Gallery Los Angeles

The art galleries of downtown's Gallery Row are open to the public and several thousand people show up. Bars and restaurants are packed with people and sidewalks are filled with interesting people and street perfomers.

LA is not known as a "walking" city but on this night you can't find room on the sidewalk. Currently, one of the more hip and interesting things happening in LA.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 PM

I loveeee skid row, well the band:P haha

hey SoCal, thank you so much for taking the time to tell me so much about LA, it makes me feel so welcomed to your city even though I haven't even set foot in it.

I have to shift travel plans back a month, because the airline that I have membership on, is full till late August -.- which kinda sucks, cos I'm so excited bout visiting the states. haha.

but dude/or babe, I'd love to buy u a drink for ur kindness when I'm there. maybe key club cos I wanna watch steel panther
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles