U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-31-2010, 03:53 PM

9 posts, read 15,577 times
Default Where to live? Job borders El Segundo and Manhattan Beach.

My husband took a job on Rosecrans and it has a Manhattan Beach address but it is next to El Segundo. We are moving from the OC thank God.(behind the Orange Curtain) I have lived in Santa Monica and Venice but that was 7 years ago. I don't want him to have to commute more than 15 minutes, as he wants to drive his motorcycle, and I would prefer he not get on a highway during traffic on that thing.

So here is the question where should we live? I am feeling overwhelmed by the choices. Here are our needs and from reading other threads I will be overly thorough.

We have 2 teacup dogs.
Garage or secured gate for motorcycle
2 bedroom + bonus room or
3 bedrooms (We both need separate office space)
We have no kids nor plan too.
Want to pay between 2700-3200

I have looked at Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach but was thinking of trying Culver City but unsure of the area. I have looked at El Segundo but there isn't much available there right now. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 05:15 PM

6,182 posts, read 11,608,640 times
your budget should give you ample options, except for homes directly on the sand. marina del rey might also be a decent option, maybe 20 minutes away via Lincoln/Sepulveda. you'll probably just need to drive around and check out different options. try HotPads - Map Search for Real Estate, Apartments & Houses for Rent, Foreclosures and Homes for Sale.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:58 PM

3,668 posts, read 6,835,888 times
I would stick to the South Bay which is closer by - Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, Torrance. There are plenty of options within these areas. Stay off the freeways. Your instinct to do that is a good one. LA traffic sucks and with a motorcycle it can be deadly. Its just not worth it IMO.

Derek

Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 AM

7,541 posts, read 2,517,855 times
you're working in a good area and are near to several nice burroughs

You have these areas to look into:
Manchester
El Segundo (Downtown area)
Torrance
Redondo Beach
Hawthorne
Playa Vista
Manhattan Beach
Lawndale
Gardena

I have a motorcycle and ride daily. You just have to be a offensive rider instead of a defensive rider; and you can lane split in California, which helps get around the traffic.
Surface street riding is fine.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 15,577 times
Thank you all for the great info. Does anyone have an opinion on Culver City? Also my husband would love to live in a loft downtown so if anyone has any thoughts on the green line public transit that would be greatly appreciated as well. It seems are budjet is good but alot of the south bay coastal areas have you sharing laundry which is fine by me but he is being a little bit of a princess about this whole move. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:06 PM

6,182 posts, read 11,608,640 times
the blue line to green line commute is a pretty long one, i've done it a few times. i think there may be some express buses that would be quicker than the trains. anyways, i think you're better off living closer to the coast. as for culver city it's a nice area, but it's not much cheaper than living near the coast where you would be closer to work. also, outside of the little downtown stretch of culver city, there isn't much to the surrounding area, although you'd be much closer to the amenities on the westside.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 PM

24 posts, read 45,591 times
Public Transportation in LA is not as easy as it look or at all. If all possible, stay in South Bay. Since your husband works on Rosecrans, it only make sense to live close by. I will say within 10-15 miles would be ideal. 405 is always a challenge and part of 105 could be too on a certainly hours. If budget is allow, consider El Segundo, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach or Redondo Beach. Then the next choice would be Torrance, Hawthorne, Gardena, and Lawndale or even DelAire (a very small section between Hawthorne and El Segundo). If you are looking into renting, the secondary cities could be anywhere from $1200-2500 depends on size, and the beach will be at $2000-and up for the same or similar component.

Like you already mentioned, Culver City or most cities in Westsides are not bad, but as for the drive, it's not the best choice. Plus, the 405 North of LAX is always a problem, why ask for the trouble.

Best of luck.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,950 times
Default Stay In south bay

I would personally say stay in manhattan hermosa or redondo

Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 49,026 times
Default Agreed

It sounds like you can afford to stay in the South Bay. Be patient and see if anything becomes available in El Segundo - it is such a charming place to live!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:55 PM

7,541 posts, read 2,517,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGordo View Post
Thank you all for the great info. Does anyone have an opinion on Culver City? Also my husband would love to live in a loft downtown so if anyone has any thoughts on the green line public transit that would be greatly appreciated as well. It seems are budjet is good but alot of the south bay coastal areas have you sharing laundry which is fine by me but he is being a little bit of a princess about this whole move. Thanks again for all your help.

Downtown (near Figueroa and Flower) has gone under revitalization, so a lot of new units are opening up; however this means that units are being SOLD and rented for well above what anyone can afford these days.

I work on Rosecrans and live in torrance, and the drive is only 15 minutes.

If you want to live closer, then Manhattan beach itself as well as El Segundo would be your best bet. El Segundo is really a nice area, especially downtown El Segundo, despite being close to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles