Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 PM

31 posts, read 133,211 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have a question that I hope someone can shed some light on. I'm researching a small historic apartment building in the city. It was originally built in 1928 as four units but was split into eight units in 1930. I'm trying to ascertain if a certain person lived in a certain apartment, but I know that the apartment numbers have been switched over time, so I'm not sure if the address they have listed corresponds to the actual apartment that has that number now. This has been further complicated by the fact that I recently spoke to a city inspector, who told me that there is a "scheme" for how/in what order apartments within a building are supposed to be numbered, based on their location within the building, and that the building as it stands now doesn't follow it.

Does anyone know what he could possibly be talking about? Was this an old guideline that has been discarded? I've gone through the building codes and haven't been able to find any directions about how or in what order apartments should be numbered within a building. I'm hoping someone out there will be able to shed some light on this. I would love to be able to figure out what the units' original numbers were.

(If it helps, the building is eight units with fractional addresses, rather than apartment "numbers". So, instead of one street address with eight apartments, there are eight different street numbers, some with fractions.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM

8,428 posts, read 10,836,898 times
Don't know if this will help, but apartments have either a number, or letter to denote location.
Unless each apartment in the building you are referring too has seperate water meters, they can't be llisted as a seperate address as you stated.
This refers to apartment buildings, not seperate detached houses placed on one lot.
Each property in the city is assigned a water meter.
That water meter may feed many units at that property address, but an apartment would not have a seperate water meter, thus no seperate address.
Bob.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:59 AM

300 posts, read 1,253,509 times
I would check out old planning/zoning/permit records with the city. At some point, they further divided the properties and you may find something....although I think it was only relatively recently that the city mandated floor plans be provided for fire code and emergency situations. But still, you may find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles