Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM

17 posts, read 60,439 times

Advertisements

Which place is better for a well-to-do mid 20 guy to live in?

I understand the obvious that Hollywood Hills provides more privacy and the hillside view over LA, and Manhattan Beach with less privacy but ocean view.

I'd like to know if there's any more factors between the two areas that'd be a deciding factor for a mid 20 single guy to move into. I'm more inclined to living in hollywood hills at this time due to the trend that most celebrities chose their homes there, so it's gotta be something special right? On the other hand, I love the ocean, but moving to Malibu is just too far and isolated for me at this point in my life.

P.S. im not renting, Im looking to buy a house in the range of 400k to 800k and will settle for longer than 10 years.

Last edited by kchui1028; 06-01-2010 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:08 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
you're priced out of both areas for single family homes, but you may be able to find a smallish condo.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you're priced out of both areas for single family homes, but you may be able to find a smallish condo.
actually there's quite a few single family homes i saw on realtor.com that fit my budget just fine.. maybe a bit high-end on my budget, but it's within my budget still... under 1M.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:33 PM

anyone can share some experience?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
I've got a couple friends/colleagues who've moved to Manhattan Beach after living on the westside. They're doctors & lawyers and from what I gather, most of their neighbors are either similar 30~40 something graduate-educated highly skilled professionals, or older retirees who bought in decades earlier. In all honesty, the nightlife in Manhattan Beach can't compare to Hollywood, especially if you're single & love the whole bar/lounge/club scene. In fact I only know 1 person who's bought up in the Hollywood Hills and he's a record exec and feels like he needs to be in that area to keep his finger on the pulse of the industry.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I've got a couple friends/colleagues who've moved to Manhattan Beach after living on the westside. They're doctors & lawyers and from what I gather, most of their neighbors are either similar 30~40 something graduate-educated highly skilled professionals, or older retirees who bought in decades earlier. In all honesty, the nightlife in Manhattan Beach can't compare to Hollywood, especially if you're single & love the whole bar/lounge/club scene. In fact I only know 1 person who's bought up in the Hollywood Hills and he's a record exec and feels like he needs to be in that area to keep his finger on the pulse of the industry.
that's interesting.. I got most of my money from a tech industry in my early twenty and money still coming in every month for me, so i pretty much don't have to worry much about employment or job for long term.

i guess i won't be choosing manhattan beach as a 20-something guy, if i do, i'd choose malibu over it anyway.

However, i do not want to settle in a neighborhood when i could afford to live in a much nicer place, i guess my choice would be Hollywood Hills, and yet while i like party, im not a party animal, but i guess it's easy for me to throw a house party and invite people i like to meet when i own a house up in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles