U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,346,597 times

Advertisements

There is so many sue happy people here in So CA. If the fridge was to break down a renter might sue for lost food. If the stove was to break, a major family dinner was destroyed.
A renter could sue that the provided refrigerator used too much electricity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,931,114 times
In my case, it is not so much the cost in providing them, although that does enter into the equasion, but rather the bother and furthur expense of repair when they go south.
It is better when the tenant brings their own appliances.
What ever they bring, I hook it up at no cost too the tenant.
Bob.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM

90 posts, read 163,385 times
I don't live in California so I do find it odd as I have never ever seen or lived in a apartment that did not have a Refrigerator and Stove provided. But as I think about it, I does make scene. California is expensive for housing, if appliances where provided, it would make the apartment a bit more expensive. I could be wrong!

Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,586,306 times
I find it odd that building owners would provide a refrigerator. Never known anyone to do that.

CALGUY, I see your point but have never rented a place that did not have a stove.

We have a new complex here in Oxnard at the River Park master planned community that does have refrigerators, Microwave ovens, stoves, washer and dryer and all appliances in the kitchen are stainless. My brother was renting there for a while. He liked it because he was the first one to rent his space. At the same time the rent for a 1 bedroom at that place is $1,400 a month. It does include a garage though. ($75 less if you don't want the garage.)

Just wondering why anyone would want to have some old refrigerator anyway?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
MOST apartments in a decent complex come equipped with stoves and refrigerators, they are business after all. I've NEVER seen an apartment that didn't provide those things, and I've been in CA 51 years. My daughter just rented a place in LA that came with a brand new stove and fridge, replaced after years of use by other tenants. This idea of anything else never crossed our minds nor was it an issue at all. It's a cost of running a business and bringing in business.

Single family homes and other types of housing may not have these things however. I can't relate to anything in this thread.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:38 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,757,144 times
We've rented two places in LA. One was an apartment, and it did come with a refrigerator (and stove). One was a single family house; it came with a stove, but no refrigerator (well, one was there, but it had been left by a previous tenant.).

As to why someone would want to rent a place with a refrigerator: many people don't plan on staying in one rental unit for years, and don't want the expense and hassle of buying and moving (or selling) a major, bulky appliance. Not to mention that one size refrigerator does not fit all spaces. And for those of us from elsewhere, the concept of not having a refrigerator included is really strange; in most places refrigerators are considered, essentially, built-in and permanent features. The idea that a renter would be responsible for buying one or even would bring their own with them is highly unusual, even in single family homes. I think most newcomers will be pretty startled when they start reading the rental listings and discover that refrigerators are not a given.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 AM

300 posts, read 1,086,032 times
Im in Orange County, and every apartment/condo we have lived in, we had to supply our own ridge. That being said, every place has come with stove/oven, D/W, and garbage disposal. W/D are also not provided.

I think a main reason why places come with stoves and D/W, is that the cabinets are fixed and often times they require particular sizes and/or models of appliance....and what you have stands a great change of not fitting. You can't just buy new appliances for every place you rent. Typically, rental kitchens leave enough space for your fridge, no matter the size (although there have been a new close calls!). "Built-in" fridge space is not a normal feature in a rental.

We have also had a lot of cook-top situations (in that case, the oven was provided). I would have LOVED if zero appliances were supplied.....it would have caused me to buy my own (whatever the rental has is typically very cheap- I mean, brands you have never even heard of! and a lot of times they don't match...a lot of landlords have minimal pride in their structure + product!).

Edited to note that we dont rent from "corporate"/high rise/mega-apt complexes....in these situations, appliances MAY be included. We have always rented from small complexes or indy owners.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,021,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyglam View Post
Im in Orange County, and every apartment/condo we have lived in, we had to supply our own ridge. That being said, every place has come with stove/oven, D/W, and garbage disposal. W/D are also not provided.
I've never seen an apartment down here without a stove. I've only rented in two apartment complexes (one corporate chain owned, one privately owned) and neither came with a fridge. Other apartments I've looked at had upgraded/remodeled units which included fridges and microwaves too. My friend used to rent an apartment in Tustin and it came with its own washer and dryer (stacker unit) but that place was pretty expensive. Few places I've looked at even have washer/dryer hookups.

I think I'd laugh in the face of any place trying to rent me a unit without a stove. I actually wished they all came with fridges because that's the only thing I own that I can't move myself. Screw having to move a stove too.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM

3,779 posts, read 7,169,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
No fridges I'm used to, but I've never encountered a situation where the stove isn't included, and that includes my three units.
The last time I looked for a place to rent was 1992 (in El Monte). The places I looked at and the duplex I chose did not have stoves. I lived there ten years, and I never did get a stove.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 AM

32 posts, read 112,186 times
Well damn!!! I guess i better find a place i will like for 3-4 years . Most of the apartments i've been checking out were in Tarzana AND North Hollywood. they all had stoves so that's a good thing. of all things I thought about to move to LA ,a refrigerator was the last thing on my mind. Oh well ,I'll be eating out for a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles