U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:02 AM

51 posts, read 233,193 times

Advertisements

I think oven is a requirement by law, but a refrigerator isn't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 11:41 AM

25,836 posts, read 49,741,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
I think oven is a requirement by law, but a refrigerator isn't...
Not that I'm aware of with 30 years in the business...

Habitability covers certain things... heat, plumbing, electrical, weather proofing, pest infestations, etc...

Old 06-06-2010, 12:00 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,847,174 times
I would personally not rent an apartment or house without a stove, and expect serious compensation in terms of reduced rent vs equipped comparables if the place doesn't have a fridge. Three-four times I have encountered units without a fridge and every single time I told the landlord that I would not rent the unit unless they put in a fridge. All but one agreed, but in all instances we found better places. But these are upscale rentals, which I think is different since the expectation isn't to have barely functioning and old fixtures/appliances in the homes. But then again, the expectation in a higher end rental seems to be that the place will be taken care of much better than in a lower end one, as well.

Like anything in life, appliances, including fridges and washer/dryers, are negotiable. Especially in a nicer rental. If the unit comes without it, then it should be much cheaper than units that are equipped since it's a significant liability to buy, move, install and maintain appliances. I can understand why landlords don't want to do it and I am sure they can get away with it if their units are priced appropriately to reflect the reduced level of service they offer. The lower end the units are, the less people care about the value of their time, generally, and the hassle of going through the appliance install process. Someone that works in construction and owns a pickup truck is going to be much more willing to go through that type of hassle than a white collar professional who drives a BMW. That's why I can see tenants in lower end rentals being more willing to go through the trouble - they are probably more capable and adept than a white collar professional type at buying, installing and maintaining old appliances.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:35 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,599,513 times
About 10% of the apartments I manage have stoves or fridges. Some have dishwashers. A few have washer/dryers.
As part of the lease the renter is responsible for all repairs and maintenance of any appliances. It is the one part of the lease that I explain to the tenant with a tape recorder running. They always claim they didn't sign or understand it.
Even with the tenant being responsible I still get many calls when they go bad.
It's not the cost of the fridge or stove that keeps me from supplying them; it is the frequency of calls from the tenants who break them. I had a tenant who washed her horse blankets in the washer and she didn't understand why the washer motor burned out. I had another genius tenant who wanted her portable dishwasher replaced with a built-in after it somehow brokedown. She actually hired an attorney to try to get me to do it.
Apartment size stoves can be bought new for under $200, Fridges for about $350. I charge higher rent for apts with appliances. It is far cheaper for a tenant to buy his own.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,591,738 times
I am thinking that we all have certain expectations in what to expect with a rental unit. I know in complexes that I have lived in they always had an appliance, furniture rental guide for some company in the area. You can completely furnish a place today including stoves and refrigerators.

In a market economy both parties of the market will bring certain things to the table. If you expect a refrigerator than chances are you will only rent a place that comes with one. I would bet that if everyone did that then all landlords would offer them. Since this area has many that don't expect having refrigerators in the units the owners don't offer them. I wouldn't offer them either. Now with more new places being built in my area that do offer them it may become a consideration for owners to look into. That is just part of how the market economy works.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:49 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,660,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post

Air Conditioners was the thing missing. Seems absurd to live in SoCal without an A/C.
Huh? I'm 55 years old and a native Southern Californian. This is the first house with A/C I've ever lived in, and I bought it in 2004.

The schools I attended didn't have it either, save for the half semester I spent in a brand new junior high school in Capistrano back in 1969.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:15 PM

12 posts, read 21,333 times
It really is just a difference in expectations. I had never heard of a fridge not being included with an apartment until I moved to LA, but it's just a given out here.

You don't necessarily have to buy a refrigerator here though, most of the landlords I spoke with were willing to provide one if you were really interested in the apartment.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Huh? I'm 55 years old and a native Southern Californian. This is the first house with A/C I've ever lived in, and I bought it in 2004.

The schools I attended didn't have it either, save for the half semester I spent in a brand new junior high school in Capistrano back in 1969.
I'm a native Californian and have never lived in a home with A/C...

Some older homes in SoCal didn't even come with heat back in the day... the building I'm thinking of was a 1930's motor court style apartments in San Diego near the ocean... always had a wait list... not appliances, heat or A/C

Perhaps... it's still location that trumps all?

Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie32 View Post
It really is just a difference in expectations. I had never heard of a fridge not being included with an apartment until I moved to LA, but it's just a given out here.

You don't necessarily have to buy a refrigerator here though, most of the landlords I spoke with were willing to provide one if you were really interested in the apartment.
I will definitely help a tenant find one... often they are free or low cost... just don't call me for repairs

Not so prevalent now... at one time, a number of tenants would go to places like Rent a Center and get all new stuff delivered for one monthly fee.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,660,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Perhaps... it's still location that trumps all?
Well, it certainly does here in torrid Fontana. I wouldn't want to live here from June to November without the assistance of my Amanas. However, they only get activated when the heat is at its worst. It's currently 93 and I've yet to turn on the AC. A floor fan suffices. Acclimation most likely explains that. As well as dry air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles