Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:24 PM

32 posts, read 129,292 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some search and i realize that most apartment in L.A. don't have refrigerators.Refrigerators are basic in Maryland apartment. does anyone know why L.A. is optional ? so everytime you move around you gotta move that Big thing around.Are refrigerators cheap in L.A.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
You can buy cheap ones on Craigslist, or often the people who have the place before you will just leave the refrigerator there when they move.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:46 PM

8,542 posts, read 10,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
You can buy cheap ones on Craigslist, or often the people who have the place before you will just leave the refrigerator there when they move.
It is not cost effective to provide stoves and refrigerators in rental units.
Years ago I supplied them, but the cost of repair and replacement was less than profitable.
If one of my tenants were to leave one behind, I would give it to the new tenant, of pace a free ad on craig'slist.
Bob.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
It is not cost effective to provide stoves and refrigerators in rental units.
Your rentals don't even have stoves? Do tenants have to bring their own toilets and shower heads too?

Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 PM

I, too, would be curious to know why this is true in LA (always had a stove, but did have to buy a refrigerator; the previous tenants had left it, but when it broke down we had to buy a replacement.); I've never seen this in any other place we've lived. Elsewhere landlords just factor appliances and upkeep into the costs associated with owning rental properties. I think it does come as a surprise to many, if not most, people moving to LA, as it's not the norm in most places of the country. It's definitely a city (or is it all of southern CA?) quirk.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:53 PM

8,542 posts, read 10,962,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Your rentals don't even have stoves? Do tenants have to bring their own toilets and shower heads too?
When a rental unit is rented as unfurnished, which mine are, nothing comes with them except what is solidly attached to the building.
In some of my properties, there is a laundry room just off the kitchen, with hook ups for washer and dryer.
I suppose because there is a laundry room, in the unit, you would expect that I should also furnish the washing machine and dryer?
Bob.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
No fridges I'm used to, but I've never encountered a situation where the stove isn't included, and that includes my three units.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 PM

4,583 posts, read 4,271,914 times
Before we moved down here, I noticed many, many rentals didn't provide the stove or refrigerator. I thought that odd too, but, in saying that, made sure we rented a place that provided both.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
None were in any home I rented. If they were there the owner told me I could have it as the previous renter left it. The answer here is liability.
I know many owners who will not install a garbage disposal. They said it was one more item to go bad.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM

I don't know if the big picture answer can really be liability, or expense; how come it's this way in LA but nowhere else? Has it always been that way? I assume it has, but why? I can understand why landlords would prefer it to work like that, but presumably some landlords prefer it that way elsewhere, too, yet it doesn't happen. What makes LA different, and why?

In other places I've lived a washer/dryer would not be assumed in a rental that came with hook-ups, as they're not essentials in the same way that the stove/refrigerator are.

I don't think it's good or bad (I liked having my own choice of refrigerator, actually, especially as we were paying utilities), but it is -- to someone who has mostly rented elsewhere -- weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles