U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM

787 posts, read 1,623,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Not looking to buy, just rent.

I agree, it would be much easier to find a job when I was actually in the city. And, I am getting phone interviews when I’m not in the city, so I must be somewhat marketable, living so far away.

I seem to be getting some pretty mixed signals with this post

Everybody has their own experience and opinion. It's up to you to make the best choice for yourself.

I agree that if you are getting phone interviews that is a VERY good sign. Given that your friends are moving out here too and they already have jobs, I'd say GO FOR IT. You only live once and you are young.

Also, look for a new jobs reoprt tomorrow from the Bureau of Labor Statistics....sounds likes it is was a VERY strong month for hiring (May 2010). Granted those will be national figures but things are "starting" to head in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,125,682 times
Also any place that is "hiring" is doing so within their own ranks. For example, they will most likely hire people that they already know, from their old company, or from their pool of friends. Even if you are brilliant and the most qualified person they still might not pick you. There's a meritocracy for you. But the truth is, most people are now overqualified for the jobs they are seeking so it doesn't even matter whom they hire. So might as well hire a friend rather than the best.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:02 PM

47 posts, read 161,042 times
The job reports today was awful which is why the stock market dropped 300 points today. 41,000 private sector job were added while the other 411,000 jobs added were temp census worker jobs. (The census worker jobs are a scam as many do not really work full-time and many are laid off and re-hired and re-counted as new hires). These census jobs will go away shortly and it will nudge the unemployment numbers back up. Private employers hired just 41,000 workers in May, down dramatically from 218,000 in April and the lowest number since January. You always have to read beyond the headlines to grasp the reality of the numbers.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM

23 posts, read 47,794 times
You HAVE to take risks in life. BTW, 10K is a calculated risk. I came with 5K and then had my car toed the first week. It put the heat on me to get a job the next month and I do not work in an easy industry - had 5 interviews to get that job. Jump off cliffs and build your wings on the way down.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 AM

11 posts, read 15,125 times
It's not what you know but who you know in order to get that nice little spot.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,658,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laviachi View Post
The job reports today was awful which is why the stock market dropped 300 points today. 41,000 private sector job were added while the other 411,000 jobs added were temp census worker jobs. (The census worker jobs are a scam as many do not really work full-time and many are laid off and re-hired and re-counted as new hires).
Yeah, they're a constitutionally-mandated scam. Happens every 10 years, regardless of who's president.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 PM

927 posts, read 2,096,748 times
Thanks for the good feedback.

The weirdest thing happened to me yesterday... I was offered a promotion at my current job. I said, "I would think about it" knowing that I wanted to leave in the next month to head down there with friends. I think I'm going to take the jump. I'm young and have plenty saved ($10k is just what I have in cash). I also have mutual funds and stocks if I REALLY needed to dip into savings - who knows, I may get a job the first month or two that I'm out there.

Or, I might just come back to Minneapolis, $10k poorer.

Last edited by yoyoma02; 06-05-2010 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: Apparently, I can't spell

Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 PM

47 posts, read 161,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Yeah, they're a constitutionally-mandated scam. Happens every 10 years, regardless of who's president.
My comment has nothing to do with who's president. It has everything to do with job numbers or the lack thereof.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:38 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,658,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laviachi View Post
My comment has nothing to do with who's president. It has everything to do with job numbers or the lack thereof.
Please explain why you think census worker jobs are a "scam".

Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,712,065 times
I know someone who got a job in three months in the tech/customer service field after he moved here from NorCal. He went on lots of interviews and was always grateful for the experience. He just kept track of jobs on craigslist. And he was able to get a job in the field that he's been trained to do. Just keep a positive attitude, because that's what it all boils down to... whether an employer likes you and whether you will fit in with their company.

My suggestion is to go to as many job fairs as possible... they have these all the time here and for fun, you might try signing up with an agency that provides "extras" for movies and TV. I know somebody who did that for several years. I think they pay $100 a day and you don't have to belong to a union.

Central Casting

Also, find an employment agency in Century City for your marketing job... this is the highest paid area in LA. But as others posted here, those jobs may not be in high demand right now... we had a marketing director where I work and that position was eliminated last year.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or