U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 08:13 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times

Advertisements

I've been studying the many climates of metro LA and have discovered that the western San Fernando valley is the hottest region in Los Angeles yet is closer to the Pacific ocean than many other areas of the city [around 10 miles from the ocean]. Woodland Hills\ Granada Hills\ Northridge, etc average in the mid 90's during July & August but the eastern part of the valley [Burbank\ San Fernando\ Tujunga are up to 5 degrees cooler yet are around 20 miles from the ocean. Even more interesting is that the San Gabriel Valley is even further inland from the ocean than the San Fernando valley yet average near 90F during summer.

Does anyone know what it is that causes the western San Fernando valley to be so hot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 11:26 PM

6,203 posts, read 15,012,809 times
The San Fernando Valley in general is hot because the Santa Monica Mountains block cool ocean breezes. Why Woodland Hills is the Valley's "hot spot", I'm not sure. Maybe it's because of the way the canyons are set up near it; no cooling occurs due to geography?

I don't know if 5 degrees makes that much of a difference, anyway. In July 2006 it reached a sizzling 119 degrees in Woodland Hills, and it was "only" 113 degrees in Sherman Oaks and Burbank!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,010,269 times
Not only do mountains separate it from the ocean breezes, it has mountains all around it. Its a giant heat island and that heat has nowhere to go.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Definitely the mountains have a big influence but still a little confused why the worst heat is in the western part of the valley. I know 5 degrees isn't that big a deal once it is in the 90's in the valley but if anyone has ever gotten out of the car after driving from Santa Monica to Sherman Oaks the heat can be overwhelming.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
Air flow. West valley, although closer to the ocean, is a stagnant bowl of inland heat isolated from the mitigating influences of the onshore flow. Look at a topographical map to see how the landforms affect this, especially in relation to the East Valley.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:03 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,012,809 times
Californo Sur, I know what you mean. One of my favorite things to do, in either direction, is to stick my hand out the car window as I'm driving from Sherman Oaks to the west side. It's amazing how much the temperature changes in such a short period of time and distance! This is also fun to experience on a motorcycle, by the way.

The summer heat is bad, no doubt about it, but the ocean is still close enough to have some effect. Case in point: I was thinking of moving to Redding once. The average temperature there was twenty degrees higher in the summer than it is here! At least we get some of the marine layer influence in May and June (usually - where is it this year?!), and that helps to keep the temperatures down. Whenever someone complains about May Gray or June Gloom, I say, "No, the marine layer is our friend!" People look at me like I'm nuts. Go figure!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Whenever someone complains about May Gray or June Gloom, I say, "No, the marine layer is our friend!" People look at me like I'm nuts. Go figure!
As a resident of the scorching IE, you wouldn't get that look from me. I'm a huge fan of mornings like this.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 AM

17,659 posts, read 10,201,146 times
Super easy to check this out. Go to Google Maps for Los Angeles then on the right, click on "More" and click the checkbox for terrain. There are the mountains blocking the ocean breezes and the Valley sits in a bowl.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Super easy to check this out. Go to Google Maps for Los Angeles then on the right, click on "More" and click the checkbox for terrain. There are the mountains blocking the ocean breezes and the Valley sits in a bowl.
Burbank gets more "ocean breeze" explains why it is typically cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
the eastern part of the valley [Burbank\ San Fernando\ Tujunga are up to 5 degrees cooler yet are around 20 miles from the ocean. Even more interesting is that the San Gabriel Valley is even further inland from the ocean than the San Fernando valley yet average near 90F during summer.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So THAT'S where they're hiding the terrain button now. Sneaky bastiges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles