U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2007, 10:55 AM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Default LAPL before and after photos

This guy did a great job of finding places where archived Los Angeles Public Library photos were taken. He then re-photographed from the same perspective. The street scenes are particularly interesting. He has other collections too, many of which are from the San Fernando Valley.

dogwelder's slideshow on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogwelder/sets/72157594197422246/show/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,165,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This guy did a great job of finding places where archived Los Angeles Public Library photos were taken. He then re-photographed from the same perspective. The street scenes are particularly interesting. He has other collections too, many of which are from the San Fernando Valley.

dogwelder's slideshow on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogwelder/sets/72157594197422246/show/ - broken link)
Fascinating.

Interesting to see the maturing of trees in some of the photos.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Status: "Books on my mind (and on my sofa, tables, etc.)" (set 23 days ago)

9,752 posts, read 13,403,536 times
That was a terrif stroll down memory lane - reminds me of the little shops and theaters you would see everywhere back in the 70s. We had a Thriftimart with the big "T" a few blocks from my house which I remember from when I was about three years old, and I was so surprised to remember it when I saw it in that Encino picture. It sparked my memory of Boys Market on Hawthorne Blvd. too - I loved when my mom would shop there because they had those shopping carts where the bottom was high up, so we as kids could ride below. Back then we would see housewives with their heads full of hair curlers, in their robes and slippers smoking a cigarette while they pushed their shopping carts around the store around 9 o'clock in the morning. Can't imagine seeing anything like that ever again!

Thanks again Charles for the memories - I thoroughly enjoyed that slideshow.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:21 AM

208 posts, read 701,395 times
wow, really cool pics. reminds of the "before and after" picture book of los angeles

Last edited by SouthBayTodd; 06-19-2007 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles