U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,807,680 times

Advertisements

We had a FABULOUS daycare in Los Angeles. I have no doubt we could find an excellent daycare in many parts of the south. And we have had, unfortunately, more experiences with LA healthcare than I would have liked; those experiences were also great, or at as good as one can ask for when in the hospital! LA is a wonderful place to have kids and a family, but -- and it's a BIG but, and that's what I think Bighorn911 was talking about -- it's also expensive. There are certainly other parts of the country where you get more for your money, and where it is much easier to support a middle class lifestyle. I can see why a young family would be willing to take drastic measures. That doesn't mean those other places are perfect or don't have their share of problems. It just means that for some families the financial reality is that they'll be able to give their kids a better quality of life somewhere else. I have no interest in moving to Arkansas, but I think it is indeed a fair assumption that one can more easily afford to buy into a safe neighborhood with good schools (and still have money left over for daycare) than one can in LA. (I assume salaries are generally lower, too, but even after factoring that in it's still probably easier.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 AM

85 posts, read 195,537 times
Exactly.

There is no perfect utopia. Its a give and take situation. Priorities are different for evry person; and how those priorities rank result in where a person will find it ok to raise children.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 AM

7,413 posts, read 7,851,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn911 View Post
This is a prime example of the CA attitude. You are generalizing and clumping the whole "south" into a category that you think is right out of a Jerry Springer episode...because thats all you think the "south" has to offer. Do your research, have familiy up there, take a couple trips up there, and then tell me if my assumptions are dumb.
It helps when you do a little study and since you mentioned crime, it appears Arkansas is the same or worse than Los Angeles:

Moderator cut: link removed

People often assume that small means safer! Not true. Arkansas has a horrible history of racial discrimination and even today denies gay people certain rights. So the kind of environment you may be trading for a cheaper house could be very costly in other ways.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 AM

85 posts, read 195,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It helps when you do a little study and since you mentioned crime, it appears Arkansas is the same or worse than Los Angeles:

Moderator cut: link removed

People often assume that small means safer! Not true. Arkansas has a horrible history of racial discrimination and even today denies gay people certain rights. So the kind of environment you may be trading for a cheaper house could be very costly in other ways.
OK...you want to show me an article from Little Rock, one city out of the entire state. Bravo, you did your research. And lets point out what you wrote to me. Talking about crime your comparing the ENTIRE state of Arkansas to ONE CITY...Los Angeles. Doesnt make much sense. Racial discrimination is not an issue to me...and CA doesnt give gay rights either, and thats not a problem for me either. I dont care either way how you feel about AR...just means that you will be staying in CA and I will have more room to have fun in AR. When presenting someone with evidence....lets make apples and apples, city to city or state to state..your choice.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 AM

12,476 posts, read 17,002,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Wonder how healthcare, daycare and a safe neighborhood in Arkansas is going to be better?
The issue is that they can actually hope to afford these things in Arkansas....

Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 AM

7,413 posts, read 7,851,344 times
Quote:
OK...you want to show me an article from Little Rock, one city out of the entire state. Bravo, you did your research. And lets point out what you wrote to me. Talking about crime your comparing the ENTIRE state of Arkansas to ONE CITY...Los Angeles. Doesnt make much sense. Racial discrimination is not an issue to me...and CA doesnt give gay rights either, and thats not a problem for me either. I dont care either way how you feel about AR...just means that you will be staying in CA and I will have more room to have fun in AR. When presenting someone with evidence....lets make apples and apples, city to city or state to state..your choice.
You're the one that comparing Arkansas to Los Angeles, claiming it is better there which is about the funniest thing I have read all night. You can very well trade California for Arkansas but don't try to convince anyone that cheap is better. And as I pointed out, yes cheaper can actually come with many expenses including an environment of intolerance and Bible-belt bigotry. But that's your choice for you and your children. Compromises I would not want to subject my family to.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 AM

26,503 posts, read 24,263,335 times
Quote:
and CA doesnt give gay rights either, and thats not a problem for me either.
Huh? California doesn't give gays rights? That's completely incorrect. California is absolutely one of the best states for gays to live. If you're thinking of the marriage issue, that's just one issue, and in California, domestic partnerships provide nearly identical benefits to marriage.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM

14,022 posts, read 16,991,058 times
Default Los Angeles versus Arkansas

While I am a fan of Los Angeles, I have had several extended stays in Little Rock and I concluded that Little Rock would be a very nice place to live. I don't understand the Arkansas/Little Rock bashing on this thread. To defend one place it is not necessary to bash another place. Or to defend one place it is not necessary to claim it's perfect. I know taxes and the cost of housing are lower in Little Rock, and I also know salaries are lower, but I don't know how all that ends up. I would not move away because I would miss the world class cultural opportunities of Los Angeles, but the majority of people here probably do not partake of those anyway, so I do not see why we would criticize the OP for his rational plan of action. What do gay rights have to do with anything in this context? The OP is a family man. This is not a gay rights forum. Best of luck to the OP and his family.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,807,680 times
For extended Little Rock versus LA debates, please bring it to the city-vs-city forum.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 PM

11 posts, read 25,100 times
I grew up in LA, we now live in Santa Clarita and that was the best move for us so far. LA has become a horrible area to raise kids. Illegal immigration has drained the entire state. We are leaving hopefully at the end of next year all together, to Pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or