U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,278,225 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering the same thing: how can someone not be able to live off 100K? It should be easy even if a person spends money every month on entertainment expenses. 100K even in LA is a VERY good income IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 05:20 PM

16 posts, read 5,999 times
L.A is just not for everybody. Perido. Don't understand the negative comments at all.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM

501 posts, read 646,487 times
I'm done with LA...Packing my stuff in a car today and tomorrow and taking off 2 days from now. Getting the hell out of here... I lived the best years of my life in this city. But the suffocating, smog-filled, gang and illegal-infested place that now reminds me of a clogged toilet that someone tries to flush again and again (when pple hit freeways during traffic hour)... the rudeness and the wolf eat wolf thing plus real estate prices that don't match the quality of life--can't take it anymore. As to "dating" in LA... here, it's like "lets hang out, get down and f***"... and may be I would even get down... if medical science was advanced enough to offer tests to catch all the disease that is floating in this dirt pool... so no dating for me here...just too scary. I have a feeling new strains of std viruses are evolving here every day like in a giant bio-weapons lab. Off to the cleaner place, cleaner air... it's not one, or two things: it's all of that combined into a giant snow ball that is rolling at 100mph from the top of the mountain sweeping all that is human, rational and kind on it's way...I'll try to remember only good things about this place: the parties, the art, the excitement, etc. As soon as I recover from asthma caused by this place (somewhere else thanks god), I'm sure I'll be missing it.
There's no need to bomb countries of the world... it would be enough to just teach them LA lifestyle via movies to destroy them...

Old 05-25-2011, 11:28 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
I'll miss your sunny disposition and positive outlook. Don't forget to write. Give us a hug.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,062,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdeliver View Post
I cannot wait to leave LA. I'm a 30 year old single, professional female who made over 100K last year and I feel POOR.
You obviously don't know how to handle your money. Look at all the single mothers who have 5 kids for 5 different men and work at Target and you want to talk about feeling poor? Get lost, you're talking rubbish.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 AM

940 posts, read 1,683,329 times
It's tough because I want to just say "here's the door, enjoy your trip" to all these people who decide to leave (especially when they try to convince everyone else to leave like it's f-ing Jerry Maguire)... but most of these people are solidly middle class and LA needs them to keep the economy going.

It's a huge fundamental problem: LA just isn't working anymore for the average American middle-of-the-roader. It's obviously a nationwide epidemic that the middle class is shrinking, but I wish there was some way to alleviate the situation somewhat here.

From what I can see, the main issue is COL for a "standard" American-entitlement-style over-consumptive suburban family lifestyle. LA has basically been "built out" so you no longer have new suburbs being built here for people who want that kind of thing (unlike all of the Texas cities that poach former angelenos). Riverside and San Bernardino and Apple Valley and wherever are just too inaccessible... They're not "too far" but the mode of accessing jobs (i.e. jammed freeways) doesn't work at that scale. People can't handle that kind of thing and stay sane.

What that means is that we end up with people who are rich enough to actually afford a plot of land in an established nice neighborhood, or low-income people who cram onto rented plots of land in established "undesirable" neighborhoods. When you don't have new development, you're basically requiring gentrification to happen in order to provide new middle-class housing. And there aren't enough gays and artists even in Los Angeles to do that on the scale that is really necessary. Also, there's a good chance that the housing that does get developed will be more expensive than middle-class due to the high cost of land. Oh yeah, and the schools will still suck for a few more generations.

In other words, there's nothing like greenfields to keep the US consumption-based economy going... and this really sucks for a place like LA that has nowhere else to build.

(btw, Miami has the same problem due to the everglades hemming in development.)

So what do we do? I guess I'm back to showing these people the door.. because unless we can find a super cheap way to chop down some mountains we're not going to be able to provide people a cheap new house that's near to employment opportunities.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 AM

757 posts, read 1,415,496 times
The OP is long gone, off the Mecca where all is right and good.

Seriously, her big problem was less LA or CA than her ability to adapt to a place that is different than where she came from.

She blamed everyone and everything else for her unhappiness because it's always everyone and everything else that is wrong. Never her.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
She blamed everyone and everything else for her unhappiness because it's always everyone and everything else that is wrong. Never her.
There's a lot of that at this site.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:05 AM

3,455 posts, read 7,085,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
It's tough because I want to just say "here's the door, enjoy your trip" to all these people who decide to leave (especially when they try to convince everyone else to leave like it's f-ing Jerry Maguire)... but most of these people are solidly middle class and LA needs them to keep the economy going.
It's a huge fundamental problem: LA just isn't working anymore for the average American middle-of-the-roader. It's obviously a nationwide epidemic that the middle class is shrinking, but I wish there was some way to alleviate the situation somewhat here.

From what I can see, the main issue is COL for a "standard" American-entitlement-style over-consumptive suburban family lifestyle. LA has basically been "built out" so you no longer have new suburbs being built here for people who want that kind of thing (unlike all of the Texas cities that poach former angelenos). Riverside and San Bernardino and Apple Valley and wherever are just too inaccessible... They're not "too far" but the mode of accessing jobs (i.e. jammed freeways) doesn't work at that scale. People can't handle that kind of thing and stay sane.

What that means is that we end up with people who are rich enough to actually afford a plot of land in an established nice neighborhood, or low-income people who cram onto rented plots of land in established "undesirable" neighborhoods. When you don't have new development, you're basically requiring gentrification to happen in order to provide new middle-class housing. And there aren't enough gays and artists even in Los Angeles to do that on the scale that is really necessary. Also, there's a good chance that the housing that does get developed will be more expensive than middle-class due to the high cost of land. Oh yeah, and the schools will still suck for a few more generations.

In other words, there's nothing like greenfields to keep the US consumption-based economy going... and this really sucks for a place like LA that has nowhere else to build.

So what do we do? I guess I'm back to showing these people the door.. because unless we can find a super cheap way to chop down some mountains we're not going to be able to provide people a cheap new house that's near to employment opportunities.
I'm not sure I agree with the solution or the timeline or that gentrification is the solution.

But I do beleive you hit the nail on the head about the problem from the perspective of many Americans who may come to LA -- and it's more upper middle class, at least at that income they ARE upper class in most other areas of the country.

It's not so much the huge house, the green fields, over consumption etc. It's the fact that you can have a lot more of your income for yourself, your needs, your family, a rainy day WITHOUT the major crime, gangs and undesirables for neighbors. Just an easier life, probably near family and friends or just fewer problems and stress.

On a recent visit for an apartment it was sobering. More than I have ever paid for an apartment, with a much more uneasy feeling about who my neighbors will be and what 'low class' element I may be surrounded by, add to that many apartment complexes in safe areas are in low income areas of that safe area.

Apartments don't have the 'stigma' of being for low income people in most other areas of the country. But I guess that isn't too suprsing there if the culture of the area, you are either rich or poor....people don't seem to understand working professionals and middle class. And the local economy is not providing for the needs of those people in terms of housing supply, and certainly not giving them public assistance. So they have to make hard choices. I know I'm not totally thrilled about the choices I had to make for my move and I just hope it works out well.

In most my other moves I could pretty much arrange for housing from afar before moving. This time that felt like playing a very expensive game that could be filled with huge regrets even if it's only a year lease....it still feels that way, and I went to look in person.

You have to understand this is coming from people that have a variety of choices and are used to having those choices in pretty much any other place.

It is NEVER easy for a person to regress in terms of quality of life.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:51 AM

121 posts, read 241,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post

The problem you describe is really no different in Manhattan and even Brooklyn which are increasingly squeezing out the middle class.

The LA of the 1950's had a plentiful suppy of virgin land and relatively good paying blue collar jobs. The G.I. bill helped a lot too. Those days are LONG gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or