U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:17 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,482,680 times

Advertisements

Then again, which area's beaches would you care to frequent these days - SoCal or the Gulf states? Not so pretty down there anymore.

Some people (millions) actually like living in L.A. Maybe they haven't spent enough time blaming immigrants for all their problems. But there's always Arizona...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:20 PM

1,078 posts, read 2,775,322 times
If you make over 100,000 per year and are poor you might want to check your spending habits.

I make way less than that and I still save quite a bit.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM

867 posts, read 1,793,130 times
Hey if you like it you like it, if you dont, you dont, plain and simple, GL to the OP

Old 06-04-2010, 02:42 PM

3,007 posts, read 4,878,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
If you make over 100,000 per year and are poor you might want to check your spending habits.

I make way less than that and I still save quite a bit.

QFT

It also sounds you thought you'd really love the city then ended up really hating it because it didn't meet your expectations. And perhaps you didn't meet your expectations.

I knew I'd hate the city when I moved in the city proper (from the L.A. suburbs) but since I've lived here I've found a lot of things I like. I will miss a lot of things (things to do, restaurants, walkability, etc.) and I won't miss a lot of things (traffic, noise, stupid neighbors).

I can't wait to get back to the quiet suburbs, but I already knew that about myself. Some people need a little push to realize that.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:52 PM

980 posts, read 1,441,983 times
I'd love to hear more about how "men aren't real men here" or however you said it. That complaint is actually what I see a lot (or rather read) on dating profiles of girls who move here from other parts of the country, and I find it funny.

So tell me, does a man have to build houses or work on cars or drive a raised truck (yeah I know, southern stereotype) to be a man?

Old 06-04-2010, 03:26 PM

23 posts, read 47,825 times
SubPrimeTime - yes you are right. A LOT of women talk about it. People are very confused about gender roles in our society where dating is concerned because there are no rules it seems... no one knows how its supposed to look, but girls from the South or Midwest DO. They were raised that way. So no, a manly man does not have to work on an oil rig, but a manly man does have to take on a traditional role in society - he pays for dinner, he picks her up, he opens doors, he treats her with RESPECT... Any girl who is from the South or Midwest who is not treated this way is secretly building a case against you. She's angry because she wants that and doesn't understand why men here don't behave that way. It doesn't matter if the woman is a CEO, I think all women want to be swept off their feet. Period. Guys in LA are so confused about that... they become spineless, weak little things, and its sad. Somewhere along the way, especially in uber liberal places like LA, men stopped being men and women stopped being women and its not attractive. That's probably why there are so many people in their 40s+ who are single here.

But again, it probably comes down to money... its not financially feasible to treat a girl this way in LA. That, and most people have so many options, its "on to the next best thing..."

Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,048,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdeliver View Post
I cannot wait to leave LA. I'm a 30 year old single, professional female who made over 100K last year and I feel POOR. I'm going back to the South to invest in real estate where I can actually build wealth and plan an awesome future. I thought about staying, but every time I see these rent prices, it makes me so angry to think how these prices keep everyone so poor! I like money though... perhaps security and future-building is not a priority for most?

Angelinos pay 9.75% in sales tax BECAUSE of their immigration problems, though they'll feed you a load of their liberal hippie-we-are-all-one talk to make you believe otherwise. You think you'd be paying that much if you didn't have illegals flooding your schools and hospitals and taking other social benefits? No. This is the most poorly run city I've ever seen. Live in Paris, pay those taxes, and actually RECEIVE real social benefits and be taken care of, instead of struggling to get by.... People who accept the way this city is run are saps.

As a side note, the people here are absolutely crazy. What else besides ego draws people to a city to try and "be someone." Also, the dating scene is the WORST I've ever experienced. Men don't know how to be men at all and are completely emasculated by these uber liberal femdoms... or maybe its the fact that many cannot afford to date at all. Either way, most cannot afford to have families, so if you are into having kids, stay away from this city in terms of finding potential matches.

To anyone who is so in love with LA and wanting to move here, that was me 3 years ago. Good luck trying to be a something and a somebody until you wake up and realize that's not what life is about at all...
Oh sweeties, I sooooooooo understand where you're coming from. *Hugs*

I'm not as angry as I was before, because I've accepted this city for what it is - everything you said in your vent post. I don't defend it to anyone nor can I.

I'm originally from NYC, came here seven years ago and could not believe how behind the times LA was in just about everything - analog cable, outdated services, etc. It wasn't until after a year after I got here that LA started going through a "revitalization" process with hollywood and downtown LA. This was in 2004. I'm like "What were you guys doing before this?"

Los Angeles is really a series of SUBURBS that are run by different jurisdictions. The mayor only runs certain parts of the city (I still haven't figured out which) and the Sheriffs Department overshadows the LAPD, which coming again, coming from NYC is alien to me. The mayor runs all five boroughs (brooklyn, queens, bronx, manhattan and staten island) and NYPD is THE law enforcement agency in the city.

Los Angeles is cool if you have MONEY and don't have to struggle to survive. The weather is nice and REAL angelenos (not transplants) are quite nice. It's the outsiders with their fake wannabe pretentiousness that turns people off.

I won't tell anyone not to come here, because they won't listen anyway. Even if you tell them about the job situation, they'll still come with stars in their eyes and believe their situation will be different from the hundreds of thousands already living here.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:33 PM

40 posts, read 103,410 times
Quote:
I cannot wait to leave LA. I'm a 30 year old single, professional female who made over 100K last year and I feel POOR. I'm going back to the South to invest in real estate where I can actually build wealth and plan an awesome future. I thought about staying, but every time I see these rent prices, it makes me so angry to think how these prices keep everyone so poor! I like money though... perhaps security and future-building is not a priority for most?

Angelinos pay 9.75% in sales tax BECAUSE of their immigration problems, though they'll feed you a load of their liberal hippie-we-are-all-one talk to make you believe otherwise. You think you'd be paying that much if you didn't have illegals flooding your schools and hospitals and taking other social benefits? No. This is the most poorly run city I've ever seen. Live in Paris, pay those taxes, and actually RECEIVE real social benefits and be taken care of, instead of struggling to get by.... People who accept the way this city is run are saps.

As a side note, the people here are absolutely crazy. What else besides ego draws people to a city to try and "be someone." Also, the dating scene is the WORST I've ever experienced. Men don't know how to be men at all and are completely emasculated by these uber liberal femdoms... or maybe its the fact that many cannot afford to date at all. Either way, most cannot afford to have families, so if you are into having kids, stay away from this city in terms of finding potential matches.

To anyone who is so in love with LA and wanting to move here, that was me 3 years ago. Good luck trying to be a something and a somebody until you wake up and realize that's not what life is about at all...
I don't blame you one bit...hell I envy you for leaving.

There are A LOT really insecure people here who have huge chips on their shoulders to constantly want to prove LA is the best place. This place is becoming a third world country.

One thing though is I wouldn't move JUST to be able to buy a house. You should do it for many other reasons....better quality of life, better quality of air, better quality of people (not so many lowlifes as in LA), etc...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,463,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm not as angry as I was before, because I've accepted this city for what it is - everything you said in your vent post. I don't defend it to anyone nor can I.
First I'll say I love L.A. I was raised here and it's my home. But to offer a sympathetic viewpoint, I get how it won't jibe with a lot of people. I think most Angelenos get that too. It's a really, really odd town, and you kind of have to be an oddball to be here, and even to "accept it for what it is." LOL. (Indeed, I'm not "here" anymore but way off in the outer 'burbs myself.)

I remember the L.A. from before ('70s and '80s) and it was intimidatingly big but also very small, in the sense that my own community was intimate and known. And open, smart and creative. Hollywood was a tight scene. The creature "Hollywood" as it's understood by the nation was and is just as remote to me as to anyone from the South or Northeast. It just was not my experience of L.A., which was pretty workaday and play-a-weekend. How anyone can move here and try and peg into any one of a number of odd shaped holes is hard to imagine. I've always been happy to welcome strangers, but I've always had that incomplete thought in reserve, Wow, you came out to L.A., eh?

So, yeah, I get it. I get the frustration, though it's not internal to me.

I don't agree with the OP's strict gender role assignments, though. It seems awfully proscriptive for the future, but if that's what the OP is looking for then leaving is best. Chances are in Los Angeles all those qualities would also have some real creep mixed in too.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:23 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,078,551 times
you are in hollywood. or the west side.
that is full of transplants like you. people who ARE NOT the real LA.

if you come to the more humble, colorful parts of town you will see that those angelinos DO know how to treat women. do know how to be real. do know how to have fun.

dont generalize the whole of LA based on the men you have met in hollywood or the westside.

and again. what do you expect? if you stay in hollywood, then you will find the superficial crowd. the same goes for the women there. its all a show. i know lots of actors and industry people. only a handful are actualy from LA.

you dont like it here, YOU had bad experiences. leave. simple as that.

as for being poor on 100k? hahaha. wow. you obviously arent good at saving money. maybe your dads last words should have been... hun, pumpkin, sugar, i love you, but ... save, save, save!

good luck in the souf!

Quote:
SubPrimeTime - yes you are right. A LOT of women talk about it. People are very confused about gender roles in our society where dating is concerned because there are no rules it seems... no one knows how its supposed to look, but girls from the South or Midwest DO. They were raised that way. So no, a manly man does not have to work on an oil rig, but a manly man does have to take on a traditional role in society - he pays for dinner, he picks her up, he opens doors, he treats her with RESPECT... Any girl who is from the South or Midwest who is not treated this way is secretly building a case against you. She's angry because she wants that and doesn't understand why men here don't behave that way. It doesn't matter if the woman is a CEO, I think all women want to be swept off their feet. Period. Guys in LA are so confused about that... they become spineless, weak little things, and its sad. Somewhere along the way, especially in uber liberal places like LA, men stopped being men and women stopped being women and its not attractive. That's probably why there are so many people in their 40s+ who are single here.

But again, it probably comes down to money... its not financially feasible to treat a girl this way in LA. That, and most people have so many options, its "on to the next best thing..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or