U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM

15,374 posts, read 25,651,310 times

Advertisements

You had a bad time out here, sorry to hear about that.

First off if you can't make it on $100,000 here, what makes you think that you will make it somewhere else? I would guess your lifestyle is the problem. You don't pay yourself first. You should be able to stick away 20% of your income. For you spending is a choice.

Second, the dating scene. I would bet that with a city as large as LA, someone would pay for the date. Not a single guy out there that would pay for dinner? I always did when I was dating. Most of my friends that I know did the same. Then again I am from Oxnard. Not too sure why it is that big of deal anyway. Creative people should be able to come up with a date idea that doesn't break the bank in the LA area.

Saying that I also know plenty of people that go out and just hang out, meaning that you may think you are on a date and that is not the case. You may have even slept with the guy and many people, guys and girls still wouldn't consider that a date. It is just hanging out, a new no strings way for todays singles (and some marrieds,) to have some fun without the commitment. One co-worker who has done that for a few years just told me he wants to settle down and find a girlfriend that he can have a more meaningfull relationship with. Heck when I was his age a more meaningfull relationship meant that things were progressing and I could look forward to sex. Who knew we were so backward 20 plus years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:08 PM

40 posts, read 103,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You had a bad time out here, sorry to hear about that.

First off if you can't make it on $100,000 here, what makes you think that you will make it somewhere else? I would guess your lifestyle is the problem. You don't pay yourself first. You should be able to stick away 20% of your income. For you spending is a choice.

Second, the dating scene. I would bet that with a city as large as LA, someone would pay for the date. Not a single guy out there that would pay for dinner? I always did when I was dating. Most of my friends that I know did the same. Then again I am from Oxnard. Not too sure why it is that big of deal anyway. Creative people should be able to come up with a date idea that doesn't break the bank in the LA area.

Saying that I also know plenty of people that go out and just hang out, meaning that you may think you are on a date and that is not the case. You may have even slept with the guy and many people, guys and girls still wouldn't consider that a date. It is just hanging out, a new no strings way for todays singles (and some marrieds,) to have some fun without the commitment. One co-worker who has done that for a few years just told me he wants to settle down and find a girlfriend that he can have a more meaningfull relationship with. Heck when I was his age a more meaningfull relationship meant that things were progressing and I could look forward to sex. Who knew we were so backward 20 plus years ago.
I think you're avoiding the big elephant in the room....money doesn't go far in LA.

I don't care how you cut it but the honest truth is that LA County is expensive to live in and if you choose to buy a home and have what most would consider a "normal" life, $100K isn't that much anymore in this city.

Secondly, dating in LA may not be worse that other cities but this city isn't know for outwardly open and social people. This whole 'hollywood' glamour nonsense is just that. A few hundred rich idiots in movie who walk the red-carpet does not make a city a social city.

I don't now why people are so defensive about this city when all they have to do is say ....yes...you're right....there are a lot of issues with this place...instead of making excuses for it.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,390,899 times
See yah! Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out

Old 06-04-2010, 05:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,276,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdeliver View Post
I cannot wait to leave LA. I'm a 30 year old single, professional female who made over 100K last year and I feel POOR. I'm going back to the South to invest in real estate where I can actually build wealth and plan an awesome future. I thought about staying, but every time I see these rent prices, it makes me so angry to think how these prices keep everyone so poor! I like money though... perhaps security and future-building is not a priority for most?

Angelinos pay 9.75% in sales tax BECAUSE of their immigration problems, though they'll feed you a load of their liberal hippie-we-are-all-one talk to make you believe otherwise. You think you'd be paying that much if you didn't have illegals flooding your schools and hospitals and taking other social benefits? No. This is the most poorly run city I've ever seen. Live in Paris, pay those taxes, and actually RECEIVE real social benefits and be taken care of, instead of struggling to get by.... People who accept the way this city is run are saps.

As a side note, the people here are absolutely crazy. What else besides ego draws people to a city to try and "be someone." Also, the dating scene is the WORST I've ever experienced. Men don't know how to be men at all and are completely emasculated by these uber liberal femdoms... or maybe its the fact that many cannot afford to date at all. Either way, most cannot afford to have families, so if you are into having kids, stay away from this city in terms of finding potential matches.

To anyone who is so in love with LA and wanting to move here, that was me 3 years ago. Good luck trying to be a something and a somebody until you wake up and realize that's not what life is about at all...
Paris isn't so great, believe me..I'm french, I know that.It's a very expensive city about housing, with sales taxes very high (19.6%)...etc...Don't be so optimistic about it ^^

Old 06-04-2010, 05:41 PM

735 posts, read 1,056,053 times
Northwest Arkansas is a great place in invest in land. I'm land rich, and cash poor at present. I live in Arkansas, and wouldn't mind living in some parts of LA.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Paris isn't so great, believe me..I'm french, I know that.It's a very expensive city about housing, with sales taxes very high (19.6%)...etc...Don't be so optimistic about it ^^
I don't think anyone said Paris is "so great" but it's not comparable to Los Angeles. Not even close.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
See yah! Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out
Don't worry, I'm sure 100 illegals will make up for the loss E

Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,500,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdeliver View Post
Somewhere along the way, especially in uber liberal places like LA, men stopped being men and women stopped being women and its not attractive.
Thor meet Lana. Thor club Lana on head. Thor drag Lana back to cave. Lana do what Thor want Lana to do. Lana obey. Good Lana.

There are many caves to be explored and enjoyed throughout the South.

Gross backward simplicity = "attractive"

Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 PM

23 posts, read 47,859 times
SOON2BNSURPRISE, women who live that lifestyle are not happy. I know plenty of them... its sad that so many women believe they are supposed to be men. And then never question it because its just normal to them now. Women gave up way to much and men are getting free rides, literally. All kinds of studies have been done on that, and I assure you, deep down, they are not happy.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM

23 posts, read 47,859 times
bigdumbgod, I love how you are so ready to spit out your unenlightened, cliche rhetoric on that comment. That's what you've heard your entire life, so that's what you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or