U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,831,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Thor meet Lana. Thor club Lana on head. Thor drag Lana back to cave. Lana do what Thor want Lana to do. Lana obey. Good Lana.

There are many caves to be explored and enjoyed throughout the South.

Gross backward simplicity = "attractive"

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 AM

The OP is upset with the whole of LA because 1.) she lost her job 2.) her dad died and 3.) she couldn't find a real man. Distilling it further, it's apparent that the OP wants one thing: security. The security that a nice paying job would provide, or the security that a man with a nice paying job would provide (kinda like dad).

Nothing wrong with these wishes, everyone has them. They are at the base of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. My only beef is the OP's painting of a broad brush, condemning an entire region for not fulfilling her needs. It may just be a function of her not being in the right industry or not mingling in the right circle of people.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,906 posts, read 40,295,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People from radically different areas often have a hard time adjusting.. I'd feel the same way if I moved to the South. I'm just saying.
you have a good point, but I think it would be easier to adjust moving from Los Angeles to a large city in the south than visa versa. Maybe I say that because we did as have many of our family members. We went from L.A. to Va, then to Texas. We had little adjustment, but many I know in the south would find much of Calif, especially the liberalism and the cost of living pretty overhelming. Plus we all know the honeymoon ends sooner or later. How many young people do we see post on these boards how mcuh they want to relocate, but really don't understand Ca? This certainly isn't a put down to Ca, just my opinion on fact versus fantacy.

Nita

Old 06-05-2010, 09:48 AM

6,536 posts, read 14,489,033 times
It is not the land of gold roads at the end of the yellow brick road.
Many people think they can find something better here. You have to find that inside yourself.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:59 AM

787 posts, read 1,014,874 times
I am sorry to hear the OP lost her job and her father. I hope you find what you are looking for back home.

That said, you were making 100k at 30 yrs old and that was not "enough" for you? And then you blame illegal immigrants for so many of the region's problems. The audacity of some people. You come across as a bit of a debutante.....

Old 06-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
That said, you were making 100k at 30 yrs old and that was not "enough" for you? And then you blame illegal immigrants for so many of the region's problems. The audacity of some people. You come across as a bit of a debutante.....
It's not like LA owes her a husband......

Old 06-05-2010, 02:25 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,110,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Thor meet Lana. Thor club Lana on head. Thor drag Lana back to cave. Lana do what Thor want Lana to do. Lana obey. Good Lana.

There are many caves to be explored and enjoyed throughout the South.

Gross backward simplicity = "attractive"

No, South = Men who are uncomfortable with treating a woman like a piece of meat or a meal ticket, or a Barbie to flaunt on their arm. Most of the men there are looking for a mate, a companion, a partner to build a life with. And they are more forgiving of a few years or a few pounds.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,110,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misdeliver View Post
I cannot wait to leave LA. I'm a 30 year old single, professional female who made over 100K last year and I feel POOR. I'm going back to the South to invest in real estate where I can actually build wealth and plan an awesome future. I thought about staying, but every time I see these rent prices, it makes me so angry to think how these prices keep everyone so poor! I like money though... perhaps security and future-building is not a priority for most?

Angelinos pay 9.75% in sales tax BECAUSE of their immigration problems, though they'll feed you a load of their liberal hippie-we-are-all-one talk to make you believe otherwise. You think you'd be paying that much if you didn't have illegals flooding your schools and hospitals and taking other social benefits? No. This is the most poorly run city I've ever seen. Live in Paris, pay those taxes, and actually RECEIVE real social benefits and be taken care of, instead of struggling to get by.... People who accept the way this city is run are saps.

As a side note, the people here are absolutely crazy. What else besides ego draws people to a city to try and "be someone." Also, the dating scene is the WORST I've ever experienced. Men don't know how to be men at all and are completely emasculated by these uber liberal femdoms... or maybe its the fact that many cannot afford to date at all. Either way, most cannot afford to have families, so if you are into having kids, stay away from this city in terms of finding potential matches.

To anyone who is so in love with LA and wanting to move here, that was me 3 years ago. Good luck trying to be a something and a somebody until you wake up and realize that's not what life is about at all...

The people who are entrenched (and in love) with L.A.'s liberalism like to characterize the conservative parts of the South as a bunch of poor, ignorant cave dwellers or Jesus freaks. In some cases they say this and members of their OWN families, grandparents or parents are former natives of this region. You would be surprised how many people in L.A. have ties to the South. They don't want this to get out because it tampers with the "image" they're building for themselves. The South has some of the sweetest, most giving and honest people you will find just about anywhere.. They're survivors, and they're about family and community. When did L.A. get so "civilized and enlightened"? Just as much racism here as anywhere else, they're just more sneaky with it. You have to have money here for anyone to look at you twice. They're trying to get some of yours and they don't want to give you any of theirs.

The reason a woman with a $100,000 income can't find a man to date here is because some of these lazy fake bums who'd try to talk to you are so jealous and competitive with you they can't see straight. They want your money, but they don't want to go through what you had to go through to be a success. So if you get involved with someone like this be prepared to be undermined and mooched on a regular basis.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:09 PM

787 posts, read 1,014,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
The people who are entrenched (and in love) with L.A.'s liberalism like to characterize the conservative parts of the South as a bunch of poor, ignorant cave dwellers or Jesus freaks. In some cases they say this and members of their OWN families, grandparents or parents are former natives of this region. You would be surprised how many people in L.A. have ties to the South. They don't want this to get out because it tampers with the "image" they're building for themselves. The South has some of the sweetest, most giving and honest people you will find just about anywhere..

The reason a woman with a $100,000 income can't find a man to date here is because some of these lazy fake bums who'd try to talk to you are so jealous and competitive with you they can't see straight. They want your money, but they don't want to go through what you had to go through to be a success. So if you get involved with someone like this be prepared to be undermined and mooched on a regular basis.
There is no need to turn this into a regional battle. The south has many charms. And yes, ignorance knows no boundary. But the OP (and now you) are engaging in the same broad generalizations you criticize.

I don't know the OP but if you can't find a date in a city with nearly 4 million people you might want to look in the mirror.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:09 PM

5,160 posts, read 4,942,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNEMLA View Post
There's a lot of truth to what's she's complaining about in LA...
I agree. I've known a few people who've relcoated here as singles and had a terrible time. They all moved back to where they came from within a couple of years. I think that those of us who've lived here a long time or have family here overlook how hard it would be to suddenly move to greater L.A. A company I used to work for which was based in the midwest would occasionally send staff here and many of them were overwhelmed with the freeways, pace of life, less than friendly people, etc. And I will never forget one of them making a presentation. He said, "In Cleveland, you ask your neighbor for a cup of sugar when you've run out. In L.A., your neighbor tells you, 'Ralphs is down the street.' " Ouch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles