U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 AM
 
78 posts, read 251,166 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a work assignment with US company located in Calabasas will last for a year. It is my first time to be in US and really I am worried about the neighborhood that we are going to rent in. as I searched in the internet I found many good areas, but still need your recommendation to get my final discussion.

1-Calabasas
2-Agoura Hills
3-Woodland Hill
4-Tarzana

We are 28 and 25 married couple with 3 years & 9 months kids. the most important thing is to be in safe and gated neighborhood.
So, what do you think???

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2010, 04:08 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles
42 posts, read 163,206 times
Reputation: 33
All 4 of the neightborhhods you mentioned are very upper class and nice. In order of the "best" in terms of safety and value Calabasas would be number one. Followed by Woodland Hills and Tarzana, also look into Encino, Sherman Oaks and Studio City if you do not mind a 20-30 minute drive to work. Aguora Hills is also a very nice area. In terms of driving Aguora Hills would be the closest city to Calabasas, then Woodland Hills followed by Tarzana, Encino, Sherman Oaks and finally Studio City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 04:42 AM
 
78 posts, read 251,166 times
Reputation: 48
Armenh,

Thank you for you reply...

But as I said: it is the first time to be in USA and we would like to go and descver every thing so which area will be the best for goning around after working hours.

Onemore thing, I am thinking to rent 2 bedrooms apartment. Do you think $1500 is good amount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 05:14 AM
 
4,032 posts, read 8,301,481 times
Reputation: 2876
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesmax View Post
But as I said: it is the first time to be in USA and we would like to go and descver every thing so which area will be the best for goning around after working hours.
Do you want to commute every day to work or do you want to just drive an extra 1/2 hour on weekends. Calabassas is on the far northwest end of Los Angeles County. So its far from a lot of stuff. A 30 minute drive over the mountains and you are in Malibu. Pretty much anywhere else and you have to take the 101 East/South and its not good, even on weekends.

As for after work, theres plenty enough for a family to do in Calabassas/Agoura Hills and other nearby towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesmax View Post
Onemore thing, I am thinking to rent 2 bedrooms apartment. Do you think $1500 is good amount?
You should be able to find something with that amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2010, 01:17 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
Reputation: 3323
the general area you are looking at should be a good fit. as for what to do after work, traffic here is terrible, so you'll probably stay pretty close to home on work nights. however, the places you mentioned are less than 30 minutes to the beach in most cases with the rest of LA being 45-60 minutes away. i would save these explorations for the weekends or if you have days off during the week.

the only thing i found questionable in your original post was the request to be in a gated community. these do exist, but in the neighborhoods you mentioned they are not necessary. in fact, your budget is a bit low to probably even get into a gated community as most have only houses. also, maybe include thousand oaks and warner center in your search. i wouldn't get any further away because of the aforementioned traffic here in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 AM
 
78 posts, read 251,166 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Do you want to commute every day to work or do you want to just drive an extra 1/2 hour on weekends. Calabassas is on the far northwest end of Los Angeles County. So its far from a lot of stuff. A 30 minute drive over the mountains and you are in Malibu. Pretty much anywhere else and you have to take the 101 East/South and its not good, even on weekends.

As for after work, theres plenty enough for a family to do in Calabassas/Agoura Hills and other nearby towns.



You should be able to find something with that amount.

thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 AM
 
78 posts, read 251,166 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
the general area you are looking at should be a good fit. as for what to do after work, traffic here is terrible, so you'll probably stay pretty close to home on work nights. however, the places you mentioned are less than 30 minutes to the beach in most cases with the rest of LA being 45-60 minutes away. i would save these explorations for the weekends or if you have days off during the week.

the only thing i found questionable in your original post was the request to be in a gated community. these do exist, but in the neighborhoods you mentioned they are not necessary. in fact, your budget is a bit low to probably even get into a gated community as most have only houses. also, maybe include thousand oaks and warner center in your search. i wouldn't get any further away because of the aforementioned traffic here in LA.

as the guys said ... all the areas I wrote are safe and non-gated community are not necessary. it seems Woodland, Warner center are more atractive to me.

regares my budget... I can increase it to $2500 per a month but really I would like to save this $1000 every month to take my family to NY or somewhere in USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Southern California
1,839 posts, read 1,712,577 times
Reputation: 212
There is a really nice area right next to Agoura Hills called Oak Park... I know someone who lives there... very family friendly. If you can rent a house, it's the way to go, because a lot of apartment rentals can be almost the same rate.

Oak Park, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 11:27 PM
 
78 posts, read 251,166 times
Reputation: 48
thank you CoCalAngel2009, it is in nice location.

guys,

what do you think?? booking and apartment online or through dealer will be the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 12:18 AM
 
7,541 posts, read 5,146,531 times
Reputation: 1831
I suggest that you come out a month or two prior to moving here, and spend 2 weeks looking at apartments/homes for rent. that way you get to see the apartment/home

Bring cash. rental applications for each location can be from $60 - $200 each
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top