U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 5,984 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this so please bear with me.....

I'm a young person (about to turn 24) who graduated from college 2 years ago and is currently working for the federal government (Dept of VA). I moved to Kentucky right after graduating to be closer to family, however after living here for two years I have found that its definitely not a place I can live long term. I'm from the west coast, and I find that most people my age have completely different values that I can't relate to at all. I'm looking to start fresh elsewhere.

I'm thinking about moving back to the west coast, specifically LA, but I'm not totally familiar with the city (I've only been there a handful of times). There are a few people I grew up with who live there, and they love it, which kind of convinced me that maybe it would be a good choice. Working for the VA I also have the option to transfer there, so finding employment isn't an issue.

However, after reading some posts on here about LA I'm not so sure about it anymore...alot of people seem to hate it there, and it sounds like if you aren't rich the quality of life is pretty poor. It also sounds like finding a job in the entertainment industry is about as likely as winning the lottery...and if you manage to be lucky enough you are treated like a slave...which sucks because that's what I wanted to do.

My question is, for those of you who live there...what is the city really like? Is everyone really fake, wannabe famous types? Are people friendly? Where are the decent places to live with low crime and (somewhat) affordable rent? Should I just give up and look somewhere else?

Thanks...and sorry this post was a book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:31 PM

6,257 posts, read 10,331,003 times
Well, as long as you are just "thinking" of moving, you will be fine but do not actually move!

Kidding of course. My only advice would be to have a solid job lined up first and since that is not an issue for you, then why not give it a shot. You sounded pretty certain about not desiring to live in your current place so obviously you have to give another place a shot...so do it while you are still young!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,294,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbear View Post
I'm new to this so please bear with me.....

I'm a young person (about to turn 24) who graduated from college 2 years ago and is currently working for the federal government (Dept of VA). I moved to Kentucky right after graduating to be closer to family, however after living here for two years I have found that its definitely not a place I can live long term. I'm from the west coast, and I find that most people my age have completely different values that I can't relate to at all. I'm looking to start fresh elsewhere.

I'm thinking about moving back to the west coast, specifically LA, but I'm not totally familiar with the city (I've only been there a handful of times). There are a few people I grew up with who live there, and they love it, which kind of convinced me that maybe it would be a good choice. Working for the VA I also have the option to transfer there, so finding employment isn't an issue.

However, after reading some posts on here about LA I'm not so sure about it anymore...alot of people seem to hate it there, and it sounds like if you aren't rich the quality of life is pretty poor. It also sounds like finding a job in the entertainment industry is about as likely as winning the lottery...and if you manage to be lucky enough you are treated like a slave...which sucks because that's what I wanted to do.

My question is, for those of you who live there...what is the city really like? Is everyone really fake, wannabe famous types? Are people friendly? Where are the decent places to live with low crime and (somewhat) affordable rent? Should I just give up and look somewhere else?

Thanks...and sorry this post was a book!
It's a hopeless search for a big city that a lot of people don't "seem to hate".

Every large urban area that makes a disproportionate mark on the culture and the news media has legions of detractors. The same is true for large states.

But the question is you. Every state, every city, every town is a terrific place to live for many someones, and a terrible place to live for many other someones.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 PM

29,597 posts, read 31,914,576 times
You can transfer so you will have a job correct? What do you want to do in the entertainment industry and what skills/training do you have to do it? As long as you have money coming in via your government job I don't see a huge risk to moving here. If you don't like it, or can't make a career change, then just transfer somewhere else. You aren't happy now so if you aren't happy in LA it won't be much different.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 PM
KRF

7 posts, read 18,649 times
Come to LA and pursue your dream, otherwise you will regret it for the rest of your life. With a VA job, you can easily live a quality life while you investigate the ins and outs of LA.

There is a huge VA building in the Westood/Brentwood area. If you would be working there then you are going to be in a very nice neighborhood. You will love the area. Near UCLA, quick ride to Santa Monica and the beach, lots of tennis courts in the area, etc.

What do you consider the "entertainment industry" ? What part interests you ? If you have an interest in new media (creating media content for the online space) or independent films then there are a lot of opportunities to get involved (often though without pay). Getting a start with a big name is basically out of the question unless you are connected.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:34 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,712,577 times
I'm familiar with that VA and it's a really nice campus. It's a huge place with a lot of new buildings going up. There are lots of apartments in Westwood, but not sure of the rents.

But one thing about this area, there are a lot of homeless people, which is very sad. This is something people have to get used to... they sleep on the sidewalks in Westwood, which is just south of UCLA... and there are lots of them in Santa Monica. Not long ago the LA City Council voted to allow people to sleep anywhere in the city... so if it's in front of your home on the sidewalk, then too bad. Not sure how it is in Santa Monica, as this is a separate city from LA.

One thing about people here is that many are into their privacy and into their own little worlds and so may not even make friends with their neighbors. Then on the other hand, there are people who are extremely friendly and want to know everybody. So it goes both ways.

In the last five years, I can think of two people I know who left the area and they just moved back to where they were originally from.

As far as people being plastic.. well, in my little corner of the world, my friends and co-workers are not that way.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,984 times
Thanks for all the input. As for my educational/working background, I have experience in PR/internet marketing/graphic design, so those are the major areas of interest I would be looking for with a job in entertainment. However, my passion is writing and acting, but I know those are not really feasible in terms of income, so for me they would be hobbies. I know the acting side is pretty much impossible to get into.

In terms of my job, I would be working at the VA regional office over by UCLA. I would be making about 52k annually...is that enough to live off of in that area? I've found some apartments under $1000 a month, and I would like to keep it at that or under if at all possible. 52k is a pretty good salary pretty much everywhere else, but I know LA is spendy!

Thanks again for all the feedback!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,712,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbear View Post
Thanks for all the input. As for my educational/working background, I have experience in PR/internet marketing/graphic design, so those are the major areas of interest I would be looking for with a job in entertainment. However, my passion is writing and acting, but I know those are not really feasible in terms of income, so for me they would be hobbies. I know the acting side is pretty much impossible to get into.

In terms of my job, I would be working at the VA regional office over by UCLA. I would be making about 52k annually...is that enough to live off of in that area? I've found some apartments under $1000 a month, and I would like to keep it at that or under if at all possible. 52k is a pretty good salary pretty much everywhere else, but I know LA is spendy!

Thanks again for all the feedback!
You should be fine on that salary.

You might want to get involved in an actors workshop. Right there on the VA campus is the Wadsworth Theatre... they always have well known people there, but maybe there is some kind of community theatre, not sure... but this is one place to start and then away you go.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 921 times
Hi erbear,

I am just reading your post (dated June 2010). Have you decided to move to LA? I just moved about four months ago and had most of the same questions as you. Just wondering about your status and if you had any other questions. Let me tell you, it's HARD moving and making new friends. Not sure if it's an "LA thing" or that just happens when you relocate and aren't in school...Not trying to discourage you or anything, just thinking about what I'm still struggling with 4 months later =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles