U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:49 PM

118 posts, read 316,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Being a CNA doesn't mean you're going to be a nurse for life. It's merely a stepping stone to what you really want to do. Your original post said you are desperate for cash, your family only makes $10K a year. You said you want something that can make you earn money quick. I have given you an example of a quick training course that can land you a recession proof job in 6 weeks earning $24K with benefits.

Exactly! When you're in need, you can't be picky..

What do they say? "Beggars can't be choosers."

I'm extremely sensitive to the smell of bathrooms, and my skin is sensitive to chemicals. It was not something I wanted to do, but I cleaned bathrooms one summer for money.

In the initial post you make it seem like your family is in "dire need of money," but in the response to this guy, it sounds more like you just want to go to California to pursue a dream. There's nothing wrong with that.

You will probably spend more money coming to California and trying to make money acting/modeling than you would actually make acting/modeling.

The CNA suggestion was because he thought you and your family were actually in dire need of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:55 PM

5,607 posts, read 20,181,666 times
I would stay in Florida for now, but move to a bigger city in Florida. Not necessarily Miami though. If you're serious about college, I would go to a community college, where you can pay in-state tuition rates, not a four year university at this point in time. Or maybe better yet, you could attend some kind of trade school/ technical school. Train to be an auto mechanic, for example. Your LA idea, to put it frankly, is so far fetched it's laughable.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
If someone will put you up in LA and house you and feed you then you can try moving there but I doubt you will be successful. Any money you make won't get back to your family in FL as the COL on the west coast is pretty high. If you have no acting or modeling experience at all then what will you be bringing to the table? Get experience where you are, do whatever jobs you have to, or financially seperate yourself from your family and get financial aid to put yourself through college. Those are your realistic choices. I can't even see how you could afford to move across the country.

BTW, you are on the right track thinking of a "connection" (your cousin) because that's really want it takes to make a move like you are considering.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:08 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,509,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyburns View Post
Exactly! When you're in need, you can't be picky..

What do they say? "Beggars can't be choosers."

I'm extremely sensitive to the smell of bathrooms, and my skin is sensitive to chemicals. It was not something I wanted to do, but I cleaned bathrooms one summer for money.

In the initial post you make it seem like your family is in "dire need of money," but in the response to this guy, it sounds more like you just want to go to California to pursue a dream. There's nothing wrong with that.

You will probably spend more money coming to California and trying to make money acting/modeling than you would actually make acting/modeling.

The CNA suggestion was because he thought you and your family were actually in dire need of money.
Oh okay. No my family is in need of money to sustain a normal living situation. We're not on the brink of being dirt poor. That was my mistake. I apologize. I'm not going to California to pursue a wild dream. That would be mistake number 1. I would be going to California to pay the bills. Acting/Modeling only to send money home. Everything else would come afterwards. I'm not on the realm other young people go to California for. I do everything for a reasonable and sensible purpose. I'm not going there on a wild goose chase for the dream movie role. I just want to get my family financially stable for once.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I would stay in Florida for now, but move to a bigger city in Florida. Not necessarily Miami though. If you're serious about college, I would go to a community college, where you can pay in-state tuition rates, not a four year university at this point in time. Or maybe better yet, you could attend some kind of trade school/ technical school. Train to be an auto mechanic, for example. Your LA idea, to put it frankly, is so far fetched it's laughable.
That's what I thought too. Your probably right. But then again, how would I ever know if I would have a chance if I don't take it? But to counter that, I'm not a taking chances kind of person. I like to do things knowing I'm secure and safe. I've never done something wild like that in my life. But I just wanted to get you opinions. It's really helped.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If someone will put you up in LA and house you and feed you then you can try moving there but I doubt you will be successful. Any money you make won't get back to your family in FL as the COL on the west coast is pretty high. If you have no acting or modeling experience at all then what will you be bringing to the table? Get experience where you are, do whatever jobs you have to, or financially seperate yourself from your family and get financial aid to put yourself through college. Those are your realistic choices. I can't even see how you could afford to move across the country.

BTW, you are on the right track thinking of a "connection" (your cousin) because that's really want it takes to make a move like you are considering.
No my mistake again. I have acting experience. I've been in theater arts since I was in middle school. Non-stop! Every single year. It's just I don't have a resume outside of school. I didn't think school plays count as anything going on a professional resume?

As far as moving goes, I was thinking I would pay a shared rent for a room somewhere in South Bay. It would be about $400-500. Something I can easily make in 2 weeks with a Miami job. I can work in Miami for a few months to save up and move. And start my thing from there. But the prospect of getting anything is low and that is what is bothering me. I don't know if I have what it takes. I believe I have potential but that is it. All the plays I've done, I've gotten kids in my school come up to me to tell me how much I did a good job. In theater arts, I was always commended on my monologue or roles.

Understand this if anything, I'm not totally for this idea. It's just simply an idea. I wanted everyone's opinions on it because I don't know if it's something I should literally do. Because I do want to go to college. I'm not trying to get caught up in wild goose chases with other competitive 20-year olds. I don't know if the New York or Miami market would be better for me. I have connections in those places. So I'm not sure if I should pursue this or not.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 PM

If it's worth mentioning, I have a cousin who is my age and we will both be graduating at the same time. He actually has the same ambitions as myself to work in the industry. But his ideas and plans are more far fetched than mines. He just wants to be a model. He doesn't have any idea where to start. He doesn't know how he is going to make it happen. He doesn't know how to be financially independent. He is extremely spoiled. Me, I thought this plan out to the very small scrap. I just haven't put all the details out on the original posts. But he plans to move over there. I said we could do it together. He thought it was a great idea but it's mostly me that's going to make everything happen. I know I have a potential person to come with me but I don't know how that is going to help me. I don't really need him to come along. I just need to wonder if I will get a gig within a year. Because that's as far as I will wait.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:09 PM

I was just thinking about another possible scenario. What it be too crazy to move to California, become a resident, and attend college over there? I mean, no one said I HAD to attend college in FL. College is extremely important to me. And I was thinking if I attend college in CA, perhaps I could try to find acting jobs/gigs in whatever leisure time I am given. Which will probably be zip to none since I still would have to work to support myself. But there's weekends, breaks, and vacations. Something to consider?...

But to put this plan into action, I would have to take about 1 or 2 trips to California during the upcoming breaks I have to scope out the area. I was actually planning a vacation to the Bay Area with my family (when the money was right) so perhaps that is when I could take advantage of this?

Old 06-06-2010, 02:22 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,567,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Oh okay. No my family is in need of money to sustain a normal living situation. We're not on the brink of being dirt poor. That was my mistake. I apologize. I'm not going to California to pursue a wild dream. That would be mistake number 1. I would be going to California to pay the bills. Acting/Modeling only to send money home. Everything else would come afterwards. I'm not on the realm other young people go to California for. I do everything for a reasonable and sensible purpose. I'm not going there on a wild goose chase for the dream movie role. I just want to get my family financially stable for once.
You stated that your family makes $10,000 a year. Unless things are cheaper in Florida than I would say that you are dirt poor. Minumum wage in Florida is $7.25 an hour. If you were to have a full time job that paid the minumum wage you would be making $15,080 a year pre tax. Minumum wage is not something someone would choose to raise a family on. If you are living on minumum wage you are dirt poor. I remember back in 1988 I was living in my parents home working 3 jobs. I delivered papers early in the morning for the LA times from 2am till 5 or 6AM. Monday - Saturday. On Sundays it took a lot longer. After that I would head over to Heidi's Frogen Yozurt (Yes it was spelled like that.) and set the place up for the day getting the machines ready for the day, cleaning the front and back of the shop, and making sure everything was set up. I would leave at 9am to head home for some sleep and get up at 2pm to get ready for my job at a Stop N Go Convienence store where I worked 3pm - 11pm. I worked for Stop N Go for 3 years, Heidi's for 2 years and the paper route I had for over a year. For one fun year though my life was work, work, work. I made I think $4.85 an hour at Stop N Go and worked a 40 hour week. That alone was more than $10,000 a year gross. Heidi's I made $100 a week and the paper route was About $600 a month. Together I was bringing in a little more than $22,400 a year gross and that was back in 1988.

My point is that you do what you need to do to make your dreams happen. If it is washing dishes at a fish place and you can't stand the smell of fish, you deal with it. It means working 3 jobs to get what you want. It means giving up everything to get the freedom that you want.

Maybe you won't find the job you want. Think of this as a momentary problem and a solution for now. Getting a job in any field doesn't take your dream away. It allows you to get closer to your dream. That being said, Jobs are hard to comeby in the LA area. You don't say what your resources are for now. Do you have the cash to keep you going untill you can get a job or land a gig? The average nationwide is 5.5 months to get a job. Here in the LA are it is more like a year. Can you get by for a year without any money coming in?

Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Um..Ok? I was considering college but I'm worried because college is going to take me at least 6 years to complete. I don't have 6 years or the money to do it. I don't have the grades to get a scholarship either. My family is in a serious bind and acting/model is the only self-respecting gig I know that I can make some quick cash to get a little something going.
ok, I guess I should put it a little differently..Your family needs money, you have burning desire to go to Ca in the hopes of being discovered plus you want to do something to help them. This is all fine, but I know a little about Orlando and some of the other areas in Florida. No, the economy isn't great, but your chances of finding work in Florida are as good or better than in California. College is important, sometimes though we have to sacrafice. If it were me, I would stay in Florida, get anything you can in the way of employment, help the family and put both college and Ca on hold for a few years.

Not that I have read all your responses and I am not trying to downplay your dream, it seems to me, you really are looking for someone or ones to encourage you to move to Calif and don't want to hear the words "don't" If this is the case, no amount of reasoning is going to help. Good luck, I hope you can make it and help your struggling family at the same time. The changes are about 1 in a 1000 at best.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or