U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2010, 05:02 PM
 
6,231 posts, read 9,519,304 times
Reputation: 7523

Advertisements

The only thing is, I believe I have a foot in the door more than most newcomers to LA because my cousin is actually in the industry. He knows people who knows people. But I never really thought anything of it. I was just like, okay that's cool. But now the prospect of having connections in LA ALREADY is quite relieving. I also have another LA connection but I'm not sure on what level. My mother's childhood friend (they still keep in touch) was one of the haitian singers from the Haiti Earthquake fund that Wyclef hosted earlier this year. She might know some people but I'm not too sure. I have never met these people in my life but my parents have so it's a foot in the door I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2010, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,362 posts, read 2,847,564 times
Reputation: 1453
I think it's really challenging for the psyche of people to be self-employed (which most actors are). Especially at a young age. Especially when you come from a fairly unstable background financially. While acting pays well, it tends to be a bit of a feast or famine type profession...for some people they are okay with this others don't deal with it so well.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think people with histories of instability are often drawn to professions and lifestyles that are unstable. I think what will make you happy in the long run is something stable, something regular, but my guess is that in your life you have limited experience with stability. Understand that it's a little boring, understand that it might be uncomfortable at first...it is different. For you this isn't really about moving to LA or anywhere else, it's more about trying to find your way as a person as you come of age. It's tempting to shoot for the moon but in the long run I think you'd be happier doing something a little boring and stable for a while to calm you down.

A business degree will teach you a lot and give you preparation for a wide variety of fields. If you want a near instant job, take accounting with a bit of a marketing minor type thing...get the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 06:31 PM
 
6,231 posts, read 9,519,304 times
Reputation: 7523
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
I think it's really challenging for the psyche of people to be self-employed (which most actors are). Especially at a young age. Especially when you come from a fairly unstable background financially. While acting pays well, it tends to be a bit of a feast or famine type profession...for some people they are okay with this others don't deal with it so well.
I know this story very well. Thankfully, I don't plan to stay long in CA at all if I do decide to go through with this.

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think people with histories of instability are often drawn to professions and lifestyles that are unstable. I think what will make you happy in the long run is something stable, something regular, but my guess is that in your life you have limited experience with stability. Understand that it's a little boring, understand that it might be uncomfortable at first...it is different. For you this isn't really about moving to LA or anywhere else, it's more about trying to find your way as a person as you come of age. It's tempting to shoot for the moon but in the long run I think you'd be happier doing something a little boring and stable for a while to calm you down.
I know where your going with this. And I want to thank you for pointing out what you think. But I just have to set some things straight. I am NOT attracted to the hollywood lifestyle. Whatsoever. There's a dark side. A paparazzi-type satanic side that I want no part of. I want no part of secret cults or elite groups or anything of the like. So I know what I am dealing with. I LOVE the idea of a stable lifestyle. THAT is precisely what I am searching for. I need stability. But it won't happen if my family isn't financially stable. So I have to take the steps to make it happen. I like the big cities. But I also have no problem with the secluded cities as well. I'm perfectly fine with both. I assimilate very well into whatever environment I am in. My sister and I are both the same way. I'm not trying to find myself in Hollywood. I'm simply trying to provide a higher source of income for my family. I lost my desire for Hollywood long ago being a naive teenager. But now, I'm seeing that it could be a potential gateway to the things I need to care of. But I am not attracted to CA at all.

Quote:
A business degree will teach you a lot and give you preparation for a wide variety of fields. If you want a near instant job, take accounting with a bit of a marketing minor type thing...get the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely be using them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 PM
 
147 posts, read 275,329 times
Reputation: 42
Hey Allen,

I was pretty much in the same boat as you. Wide eyed and glaring at the lucrative life style held by the super stars residing in LA. I would watch shows such as the hills and imagine myself living a lifestyle like that. Here is what I am doing and maybe it is something you can look into? I took a year off after highschool to SERIOUSLY and clear mindedly gather my mind to make a decision, and you know this is a HUGE decision of your young life.

In the year I took off, I worked full time 5 days a week and helped my family pay bills (were not struggling but I wanted to REALLY understand how it would feel like having to pay bills) although I only paid $200 a month it was better that mooching forever! While I was working part time, I began looking for volunteer oppurtunties here (Toronto). I quickly found a film festival to my liking (Reel World) and began working with them for about 2 hours a week. Through this festival I met others that wanted to enter the industry and foremost I met Tonya Lee Williams who headed the festival. She appeared in lots of soap operas such as young and the restless, psi factor etc. Although I wasnt able to stay with them and volunteer (It was really far), it gave me an understanding that actors are real people (as odd as it sounds). After volunteering, I began taking acting classes at a local studio in Toronto. There I began building my foundation to become an actor. I became comfortable delivering lines in front of others and most important not being critical on myself. I have recently hit a road bump as I broke my leg in a car accident, but in a few months when I am back to normal, I will take classes, get into shape again and find an agent. After getting an agent I will hopefully land some small time roles and really find out if this industry is for me.

FINALLY after all that is done and I have some real experience under my belt will I decide of my move to make to LA or stay with family. I definately do not suggest you go unless you are prepared and trust me you have to get experience because acting is alot different than what most percieve it to be. It seems very easy to do as a spectator but having to get into the role and not acting but becoming the character are two different things and I suggest you delve into that before making your decision!

Best of luck

Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Uncharted island
291 posts, read 891,457 times
Reputation: 317
you want to establish financial stability for your family by attemping something as unstable and unpredictable as an acting/modeling career?!?!

i'm not convinced that you've "matured" as you say. In the beginning, you claim you wanted to be an actor because you were starstruck and fame-hungry. Now, you claim to be interested in becoming an actor because you are on a noble quest to save your family from financial hardships.

mature people don't (a) waste their family's scarce income on a ticket out to LA with no job lined up (b) put their parents through emotional hell wondering how their kid will possibly be able to make ends meet on such a foolish dream (c) seek one of the hardest/insecure/unpredictable paths to wealth as the solution to all their problems.

seriously dude, i would recommend you do what my own father did: went to community college at night while working several odd jobs while saving as much of it as he humanly could and cutting out needless expenses. take out a loan if you think a bachelor's degree can really help you get the job you're looking for. study the school's alumni network and connections. work at night so you can lighten the loans.

and most importantly, take some time to grow up and mature. believe it or not, it's your PARENT'S responsibility to figure out how to be the parents here...and afford enough to keep you guys fed and warm (educated too, if possible). If acting is really for you, take classes at college and get your teacher's appraisal. Don't continue thinking that becoming an actor/model will solve all your problems. I personally don't know if it does or doesn't...but it's just not a smart "mature" thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,336 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Reputation: 38683
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
you want to establish financial stability for your family by attemping something as unstable and unpredictable as an acting/modeling career?!?!

i'm not convinced that you've "matured" as you say. In the beginning, you claim you wanted to be an actor because you were starstruck and fame-hungry. Now, you claim to be interested in becoming an actor because you are on a noble quest to save your family from financial hardships.

mature people don't (a) waste their family's scarce income on a ticket out to LA with no job lined up (b) put their parents through emotional hell wondering how their kid will possibly be able to make ends meet on such a foolish dream (c) seek one of the hardest/insecure/unpredictable paths to wealth as the solution to all their problems.

seriously dude, i would recommend you do what my own father did: went to community college at night while working several odd jobs while saving as much of it as he humanly could and cutting out needless expenses. take out a loan if you think a bachelor's degree can really help you get the job you're looking for. study the school's alumni network and connections. work at night so you can lighten the loans.

and most importantly, take some time to grow up and mature. believe it or not, it's your PARENT'S responsibility to figure out how to be the parents here...and afford enough to keep you guys fed and warm (educated too, if possible). If acting is really for you, take classes at college and get your teacher's appraisal. Don't continue thinking that becoming an actor/model will solve all your problems. I personally don't know if it does or doesn't...but it's just not a smart "mature" thing to do.
good advise, not to mention, the OP will not land that big acting job, regardless as to how good he is until he has been in Ca for a hell of a long time. By then his family will starve to death and he might too. After he get to Ca he will need to find a place to stay, buy food, support himself, find a job, have time to pursue his dream and all without a single penny to his name.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2012, 08:42 PM
 
9 posts, read 8,949 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
you want to establish financial stability for your family by attemping something as unstable and unpredictable as an acting/modeling career?!?!
THIS. You don't need to move to LA, you just need to get a job where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,349 posts, read 16,533,238 times
Reputation: 19640
Short of taking a 6-week course to be a CNA or going to a university for 4-yr degree, check into your local community colleges for radiologic technician programs. These are the folks who take Xrays and MRIs and such and can command liveable salaries. In my neck of the woods, it's a 2-yr program with job placement when you finish. It's also portable in that you can get a job in LA and still pursue your acting career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 PM
 
4 posts, read 3,500 times
Reputation: 10
I understand every situation is different and maybe right now you can't see the whole picture but I hope my personal experience helps you. I am a 23 year old college student. I have always wanted to move to Los Angeles and I actually have all of my father's immediate family living there. They are professionals and my grandma even remodeled the extra room in her house for me. I could have just taken the opportunity and live there for free but instead I made a decision that I believe has helped me very much. My family, like yours, needs my financial help. I have worked 2 jobs, one full time and one part time for the past 5 years to make it through college. I am also a full time student and I am about to graduate with a bachelors in Psychology this December. I never thought it would take me 5.5 years to graduate but it is what it is. I have my own apartment with my girlfriend and we split the bills and rent. I also split my parents rent and all of their bills and my 2 younger siblings necessities with my 2 siblings since my dad was sent to jail a year ago. Has it been easy? Not at all and I don't enjoy my jobs but they are paying the bills and I am helping my family as well as I am still working on MY future. You can easily help your family and yourself by staying where you're at and working as well as attend college. I just got accepted into a Master's in Psychology program in Southern California and I will soon be able to enjoy what I have been wanting for so long. My point here is you can do both things. I did and I have no regrets because I never stopped helping my family or MYSELF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
1,045 posts, read 1,544,294 times
Reputation: 690
A paragraph break here or there would really help......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top