U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 PM

13 posts, read 33,630 times

Advertisements

Im 20 and Im really interesting in just going to california for a little vacation. I've been to LA a couple times but it was always on school trips or for volleyball so I never got to actually explore it the way I wanted to.

Would I be able to have a good time in LA if i was by myself? I want to check out West Hollywood and the lesbian scene out there and just overall I want to go and have a fun/good time. Im also am pretty shy though so I feel like that will make this harder for me. So basically could I go there by myself and have a good time? Or would I need a group of people to go with me to have any fun? Im also thinking about living there for a little bit after I graduate college. Im currently from the east coast (Cape Cod).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,743 times
Depends on how outgoing you are... you may be able to find some like-minded people on Craigslist to "hang out with" or show you the area if you're brave enough.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 AM

69,387 posts, read 79,598,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissa12233 View Post
Im 20 and Im really interesting in just going to california for a little vacation. I've been to LA a couple times but it was always on school trips or for volleyball so I never got to actually explore it the way I wanted to.

Would I be able to have a good time in LA if i was by myself? I want to check out West Hollywood and the lesbian scene out there and just overall I want to go and have a fun/good time. Im also am pretty shy though so I feel like that will make this harder for me. So basically could I go there by myself and have a good time? Or would I need a group of people to go with me to have any fun? Im also thinking about living there for a little bit after I graduate college. Im currently from the east coast (Cape Cod).
That depends on what you consider a good time and how much money you have, plus things like, where will you stay, what about transportation and what do you want to see and do other than check out the lesbian scene. If it were me, I would want to go with a friend.

Nita

Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 AM

559 posts, read 1,077,425 times
I think it boils down to your comfort level in being alone. Some people are unable to enjoy themselves without some company. Others love the absolute freedom of being able to go where and when she wants without having to reach a consensus. Most would prefer to be with some friends since there is safety in numbers and in having someone watch your back.

If you don't have some concrete ideas of what you want to see, a knowledgeable guide could be helpful. I agree with nmnita--what do you want to do besides checking out WeHo? Are you interested in bands, museums, the ocean, architecture, L.A. culinary scene (including great, cheap eats)?

The L.A. Weekly is a rich resource for events as well as a comprehensive listing of clubs and other venues:

LA Weekly

Just bring some street smarts (there are always some jerks and jerkettes) and have a nice, safe vacation.

In case you are still 20 when you visit: many clubs are 21 and over, and they are pretty strict about checking ID.

Lastly, don't ask anyone in the 7-11 parking lot to buy you beer. (Sorry, an L.A. forum inside joke).

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 06-07-2010 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: better wording & added info

Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 PM

69,387 posts, read 79,598,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I think it boils down to your comfort level in being alone. Some people are unable to enjoy themselves without some company. Others love the absolute freedom of being able to go where and when she wants without having to reach a consensus. Most would prefer to be with some friends since there is safety in numbers and in having someone watch your back.

If you don't have some concrete ideas of what you want to see, a knowledgeable guide could be helpful. I agree with nmnita--what do you want to do besides checking out WeHo? Are you interested in bands, museums, the ocean, architecture, L.A. culinary scene (including great, cheap eats)?

The L.A. Weekly is a rich resource for events as well as a comprehensive listing of clubs and other venues:

LA Weekly

Just bring some street smarts (there are always some jerks and jerkettes) and have a nice, safe vacation.

In case you are still 20 when you visit: many clubs are 21 and over, and they are pretty strict about checking ID.

Lastly, don't ask anyone in the 7-11 parking lot to buy you beer. (Sorry, an L.A. forum inside joke).
funny but true. Also OP, if you are under 25 you will have trouble renting a car and without one you may have trouble seeing all the sights and sounds that you would enjoy....

Nita

Old 06-07-2010, 02:42 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,787,600 times
I agree with drunk on kool aid. It's going to depend on your own comfort level. Assuming you are comfortable on your own (which presumably you are, since you're considering the idea) then yes, I think you'd be able to have a fun time on your own. But again, I suppose that depends on what you do for fun.

Like Nita notes, you'll have a tough time renting a car. There's plenty of things to do that are easily accessible by bus or train, so I'd concentrate on those for now, and leave the more car-oriented destinations for another trip. Since you're interested in West Hollywood you might as well just stay there; there's no subway access there, but bus service is very good and it's overall a fairly convenient location for many tourist things.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,080,104 times
you should be fine. but it would help if you were of drinking age (not that you have to drink to have fun, but that is where you might find other fun lesbians).

i say you do it. come out, have fun, leave in one piece.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:46 PM

2,858 posts, read 6,211,393 times
You can rent a vehicle with Enterprise but they will charge you an under 21 fee. I did this up in Washington State and went into Canada with it. You MUST have full coverage on whatever vehicle you have and MUST provide proof when you get into the rental. Rentals in the summer are crazy expensive though so I'd get a good deal online.

Too bad your a lesbian...volleyball players are usually pretty hot.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM

13,057 posts, read 21,189,317 times
I would suggest you wait until you are 21 - you're going to have a lot of venues where you won't be able to get in and that would be an obstacle in having the kind of fun you described.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 PM
KRF

7 posts, read 18,675 times
Consider using MeetUp.com to find some meetups that might interest you, and plan your vacation for those days. Also, maybe line up some people through a dating site that you wouldn't mind having lunch/dinner with. This way you can meet people and maybe do some things with them, but also since you are not coming in a group, you can do things on your own too.

Just be careful, of course, when meeting new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or