U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,388,423 times
Reputation: 4309

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
n it's a slippery slope, i'd rather have the freedom to choose than not, regardless of the outcome (ie. raised trucks).
Are you under the impression that you can drive just anything on the street already? Your argument is a complete fallacy, the cities, states and the federal government already regulate what can and cannot be driven on streets/highways. The question is whether the benefits of allowing lifted trucks outweigh the risks. Now...what are the benefits? So some bros can make up for what they lack elsewhere? Lifted trucks don't benefit society in anyway, banning them would only benefit society.

On the other hand big-rigs are a critical part of commerce, and yet you still can't drive them on just any street.

Never has "personal liberty" in this country meant you should be able to do whatever you want regardless of its effects on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 PM
 
Location: San Diego
2,888 posts, read 6,409,558 times
Reputation: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Same here, I do not get the lowered truck, they defeat the purpose imo.

I have seen another Silverado like mine that was lifted only 4 inches which I'd think be a very small thing but no, it looked higher but not ridiculous yet it looked bad@ss. I wouldn't mine getting lifted like 3-4 inches like that truck but ain't got the money plus it really adds weight to your car which drops the performance/fuel efficiency which I care about more.
Yea my buddy had a S10 and he did something to it, something with the tires where it looked like it was lifted 3 inches but it wasnt...looked pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 11:29 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,113 posts, read 18,964,512 times
Reputation: 3365
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Are you under the impression that you can drive just anything on the street already? Your argument is a complete fallacy, the cities, states and the federal government already regulate what can and cannot be driven on streets/highways. The question is whether the benefits of allowing lifted trucks outweigh the risks. Now...what are the benefits? So some bros can make up for what they lack elsewhere? Lifted trucks don't benefit society in anyway, banning them would only benefit society.

On the other hand big-rigs are a critical part of commerce, and yet you still can't drive them on just any street.

Never has "personal liberty" in this country meant you should be able to do whatever you want regardless of its effects on others.
as stated, i don't like raised trucks either for many reasons, but just because i don't like them doesn't mean they should be illegal. sure there should be limits for safety reasons, but a six inch lift (even a 12 inch lift) really doesn't a truck any more unsafe.

as for benefits, there are plenty of legal activities that people can participate in that have no benefit to society, should all of these activities be illegal as well? hell, me having conversations about this nonsense on city data forums have no real societal benefits, maybe i should be cited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,388,423 times
Reputation: 4309
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
as stated, i don't like raised trucks either for many reasons, but just because i don't like them doesn't mean they should be illegal.
You are again framing this in the wrong way, the issue is not merely that I "don't like them". The issue is that they pose risks to other drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
as for benefits, there are plenty of legal activities that people can participate in that have no benefit to society, should all of these activities be illegal as well?
And you are once again ignoring the actual issue. The issue is not that the activities don't benefit society, rather that the activity does not benefit society and it puts others in danger. There is absolutely no good reason for these things to be legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 12:10 AM
 
1,592 posts, read 2,948,381 times
Reputation: 2145
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Are you under the impression that you can drive just anything on the street already? Your argument is a complete fallacy, the cities, states and the federal government already regulate what can and cannot be driven on streets/highways. The question is whether the benefits of allowing lifted trucks outweigh the risks. Now...what are the benefits? So some bros can make up for what they lack elsewhere? Lifted trucks don't benefit society in anyway, banning them would only benefit society.
Yeah, lets just ban everything you don't like. Why not? You don't see the use, therefore banning truck lifts would 'only benefit society.'

What should we ban next? How about spoilers on cars? Those are totally distracting and annoying.

BTW truck lifts can serve a purpose, namely for improved performance off road. If you want to keep claiming that lifted trucks put other drives at greater danger, I would like to see some facts to support this, otherwise I have no choice but to believe you are blowing smoke due to your own annoyance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,388,423 times
Reputation: 4309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Yeah, lets just ban everything you don't like.
Why do you guys keep responding this this straw man? The issue is a public safety matter, not a matter of preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
BTW truck lifts can serve a purpose, namely for improved performance off road.
Great, so take them off-road and keep them off city-streets. There are all sorts of off-road vehicles that are not street legal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
If you want to keep claiming that lifted trucks put other drives at greater danger, I would like to see some facts to support this...
This is really filed under "totally obvious"...but okay.

Monsters on the highways: Why altered trucks and SUVs pose such dangers to other drivers - US News and World Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 12:32 AM
 
40 posts, read 105,583 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Anybody else sick of seeing big huge raised trucks? I don't get why these things are even street legal, if a normal car hit one it would get trashed. Is there any effort to ban them?

Edit: Oops...that is trucks not trunks
Yeah seriously....these are some serious douchbags driving these things...

They have ALOT of insecurities apparently for having try cars like these...it's all about compensating for something else if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 12:34 AM
 
40 posts, read 105,583 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Yeah, lets just ban everything you don't like. Why not? You don't see the use, therefore banning truck lifts would 'only benefit society.'

What should we ban next? How about spoilers on cars? Those are totally distracting and annoying.

BTW truck lifts can serve a purpose, namely for improved performance off road. If you want to keep claiming that lifted trucks put other drives at greater danger, I would like to see some facts to support this, otherwise I have no choice but to believe you are blowing smoke due to your own annoyance.
Banning stupidity should be obvious but apparently it isn't for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 AM
 
Location: San Diego
2,888 posts, read 6,409,558 times
Reputation: 2004
The logic with raised trucks are a danger is dumb. Might as well ban all big rigs during rush hour. Getting hit by one of those is obviously more dangerous than a regular vehicle. Why not just ban all larger vehicles during busy times then?

You are going down a slippery slope. There are PLENTY of illegal things I see on just about every car I see on my commute. From illegal front window tints, big ass stickers on the rear window, dealer plates on an older vehicle. These three things are way worse than a lifted truck. Window tints in the front window is against the law in CA. Big ass stickers block the vision for those driving making a lane change. Not having plates on an older vehicle is a red flag that the vehicle is stolen. Imagine you have an accident with that vehicle and they flee? Try getting enough info to call the police so they can track them down. "Yea, its a Red Toyota Camry like 2006 with Longo Toyota dealer plate! You get them!!!"

People on here are so damn bias. I DONT LIKE IT SO IT IS SHOULD BE ILLEGAL!!!

Like I said, I don't and never have owned a truck but if you people want to single out one particular type of vehicle, I'm going to single out annoying rice rockets with their insanely annoying mufflers which illegal as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 17,474,367 times
Reputation: 10298
I watched a police officer pullover a guy in a lifted truck. He proceeded to take what looked like a yardstick (or maybe a tape measure) and actually measure the dimension from the ground to the bumper of the truck. I don't know if the guy was given a ticket for that or not.

Anyway, I figure it has to do with bumper height restrictions. Raised vehicles undermine the purpose of a bumper because in an accident, instead of hitting another bumper, it would hit upper portions of the bodywork during a collision (assuming a rear/front collision). Or, the wheels of the truck would hit and possibly ride over the other vehicle.

It might also have to do with head/tail light height. At some point, the only thing the headlights of a raised truck are illuminating are the roofs of cars and the 'air' beyond. The headlights seem useless for illuminating the road. I have seen an extra pair of lights at the height of the original headlights' height for what appears to be that purpose.

Those are my guesses and not judgements against lifted trucks; I drive two lowered cars so I'm in the opposite direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top