U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,270,890 times

Advertisements

The oil industry is here to stay. Get a grip. I know buttloads of people who work for the seven sisters and they are ALL busy. Remember the last time that oil bottomed out? They've made plenty of profit in the mean time. The seven sisters are not hurting by any stretch of the imagination with the exception of the delusioned drivel of antimoratoriumites. They make it sound like the sky is falling.

Look around. States like Florida are losing jobs too and they aren't whining about it in the Cajundome. They DO something about it. Many of you sound fairly self centered. Just because you chose to kiss the buttcheeks of a oil industry lobbyist doesn't mean the rest of society does.

Who cares what they make from oil. Humans got by without your gadgets for quite a long time. To be quite frank, some of you lazy yuppies could do with less toys. Put the crackpipe cell phones down, people.

There is something in the bible about "good stewards". Many of you have failed and the big guy will want to have a word with you. Take it up with him and quit whining.

The out of work for decades Rust Belt worker has had to endure far more and you don't hear them crying like a infant. That all happened way before Obama but you'll likely blame him for that too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 AM

67 posts, read 103,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
The oil industry is here to stay. Get a grip. I know buttloads of people who work for the seven sisters and they are ALL busy. Remember the last time that oil bottomed out? They've made plenty of profit in the mean time. The seven sisters are not hurting by any stretch of the imagination with the exception of the delusioned drivel of antimoratoriumites. They make it sound like the sky is falling.

Look around. States like Florida are losing jobs too and they aren't whining about it in the Cajundome. They DO something about it. Many of you sound fairly self centered. Just because you chose to kiss the buttcheeks of a oil industry lobbyist doesn't mean the rest of society does.

Who cares what they make from oil. Humans got by without your gadgets for quite a long time. To be quite frank, some of you lazy yuppies could do with less toys. Put the crackpipe cell phones down, people.

There is something in the bible about "good stewards". Many of you have failed and the big guy will want to have a word with you. Take it up with him and quit whining.

The out of work for decades Rust Belt worker has had to endure far more and you don't hear them crying like a infant. That all happened way before Obama but you'll likely blame him for that too.
I'm going to respond as repectfully as I can. I'll start with the fact that those that are rallying in the Cajundome are doing so because they and others are losing jobs due to the direct actions of the government, artificially causing a loss of jobs. The jobs they are losing are not due to loss of profits, efficiencey, lack of new construction, etc. It's due to an overstepping by the federal government that has been told twice by courts that they have no legal standing to do so. Then I would ask, what exactly are people in FL doing about it? I moved from FL in the fall to BR. Does that mean I'm a Floridian doing something about it?

There's a fundamentally misunderstanding that you stated in the first paragraph. No one is worried about the oil industry itself going under by any means. The issue at hand is when they are forced to stop drilling within our (the US's/LA's) waters, those jobs go elsewhere, and potentially you've heard where some of those rigs have all ready gone and others are headed. Hint...none of them end with a USA address. So on top of lost jobs, you have an increased dependence on foreign oil.

Lastly, I would suggest you avoid hurling weak insults at those of us that take satisfaction in the accomplishments of man and our developments over the years. Perhaps when you for go, or even demand, that you and your family travel only by foot, live in a grass hut and grow your own food organicly you won't present yourself as a hypocrit. Otherwise you will be taking advantage of the resources made from oil. Yes people lived without oil based products at one time. They also lived without cars before. I challenge you to return to those days to prove us all fools, but until that day I'll happily enjoy the fruits of man's mind.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 2,994 times
The oil companies won't suffer. There are countless service industries that depend on the oil industry's rigs. They will suffer. Where do you think all the pipes, machinery and tools come from? What do these people on drilling rigs eat? What do they wear? How do they, and all this stuff, get to the rigs?

Oil companies don't do this for their rig workers. Private companies are hired to do it. Machine shops, trucking companies, catering companies, grocery stores, laundry services, crew boats and the companies that service them. The list goes on and on. I live in the middle of it all and already dry cleaners and accountants are seeing a dramatic drop off in business. These are the people that are being hurt by the moratorium.

I am currently a student at UL-Lafayette studying civil engineering, married with four kids. I will graduate in two and a half years and the discussion in my house has gone from considering looking for work out of state after graduation to probably having to. I thank my lucky stars every day that my husband works in an industry that has absolutely nothing to do with oil, and pray every day for friends and family, like my sister in law whose husband and three sons all have jobs tied to oil.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,139,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
While contemplating the economic effects of BP's oil spill, I began to wonder whether the destruction of the economies of the Gulf states will result in a mass exodus of people to other states.

If you live in one of the Gulf states have you noticed or heard about an exodus of people? Are hundreds of thousands of people expected to relocate to other states? What states might they fleet to, Texas?
Probably not, I've been here all my life and actually enjoy it, but could do w/o the humidity. Some ppl will relocate, however, others will just rebuild and pick up where they left off.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM

Just because some people lick oil lobbyist butt doesn't mean everyone does.

Get a job that doesn't poop on the planet. Leave LA if you're a traitor to the marsh.
We don't want you here. Take BP with you.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Just because some people lick oil lobbyist butt doesn't mean everyone does.

Get a job that doesn't poop on the planet. Leave LA if you're a traitor to the marsh.
We don't want you here. Take BP with you.
So on a final note, you're out numbered, so the "we" you refer to is irrelevant to the "us" to which we refer. So on behalf of "us" feel free to take your rear end away from the plants that are the life blood of this nation if you so care. Whether there's drilling in the Gulf or not, the plants aren't going to go away. So enjoy life here in LA!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 PM

Doesn't automagically mean the masses are correct, oil lobby buttkisser.

McDonalds serves tons of burgers. Doesn't make their food cuisine.

Don't be a traitor to your own state.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:54 AM

82 posts, read 113,838 times
Default Mass Exodus from Louisiana/Miss

I live at Pensacola Beach, FL and I do believe there is already many people leaving Louisiana/Miss and coming here to Pensacola. Since there are no jobs there, they have and will come here. The population in Pensacola has increased since Hurricane Ivan and Katrina. We already have a large amt of people from these areas. Pensacola does have an ok job market and when you don't have a job, something is better than nothing!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:43 PM

1,734 posts, read 3,627,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleWind View Post
I live at Pensacola Beach, FL and I do believe there is already many people leaving Louisiana/Miss and coming here to Pensacola. Since there are no jobs there, they have and will come here. The population in Pensacola has increased since Hurricane Ivan and Katrina. We already have a large amt of people from these areas. Pensacola does have an ok job market and when you don't have a job, something is better than nothing!
lmao. That's one I haven't heard very much. Most people I know who have left (don't know anyone who left because of oil) have moved to Houston or Atlanta.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
lmao. That's one I haven't heard very much. Most people I know who have left (don't know anyone who left because of oil) have moved to Houston or Atlanta.
Yeah, but Pensacola has a paper mill.... Yeah honestly not sure where that one came from, and yes I know there's more than a paper mill there, but in comparison to the river it's laughable. I would also point out that even with the current job loss due to the oil, LA's unemployment is still among the lowest in the country and MUCH lower than FL's. I did like the taxes in FL though by comparison. Would move to Houston for TX's as well, but we like it here thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana