Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:19 PM

21 posts, read 222,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblack13xx View Post
I have lived on the northshore for more eight years. We have many bi-racial families that are friends of ours. It is a very safe and non-judgmental community. There is a large population of adopted children from Russia, China and South America. Not one of my friends has complained nor experienced prejudice within our community. They have experienced it in the next state over to the east but not here. As for David Duke, the majority of the state dislikes him and what he stands for. Just a few idiots out their.....
Kind of strage, If only a few idiots like David Duke how did he get elected to US Congress as a Klansmen!

Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Help! I need some honest advice. We are considering relocating from the Michigan to the New Orleans area, and I have some specific concerns regarding our family . . .

We are considering moving to the Mandeville or Madisonville areas because we want to live in a safe community with good schools. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, we are a young family (all kids under 7) formed by adoption. All of my children are multi-racial (white, black, and native american). Do communities like Mandeville or Madisonville have racial problems or undertones? Would we have a hard time being accepted in these communities.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should be concerned about?
The 2 Cities you metioned are what are called White flight areas. Meaning Whites moved there from New Orleans to escape the high black crime rate. Which makes racial tensions high in those cities.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:39 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,463,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf2421 View Post
Kind of strage, If only a few idiots like David Duke how did he get elected to US Congress as a Klansmen!
He was elected ONCE, in an all white district in Metairie, by 100 votes. And that was only after there was a race riot in downtown NO before the election which created a racial backlash.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
He was elected ONCE, in an all white district in Metairie, by 100 votes. And that was only after there was a race riot in downtown NO before the election which created a racial backlash.
You are incorrect, so you mean to tell me Metairie gets to have its very own US Congressman! His congressional district Includes all the North Shore areas. Tangiapahoa,Washington,St. Tammany Parish and a small area on the South Shore which includes
Metairie and a few surrounding communities on the lake front. This would mean 2/3 or more of the voteing population was on the North Shore!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:09 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,348 times
White flights communities. Of course no one wants the drug related crime in their neighborhood. Blacks in NO have been kept down so long but there is no excuse for them not getting off their butts and making something out of them self. Look at the role models such as Mrs Leah Chase and others

Old 07-08-2007, 06:32 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,463,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf2421 View Post
You are incorrect, so you mean to tell me Metairie gets to have its very own US Congressman! His congressional district Includes all the North Shore areas. Tangiapahoa,Washington,St. Tammany Parish and a small area on the South Shore which includes
Metairie and a few surrounding communities on the lake front. This would mean 2/3 or more of the voteing population was on the North Shore!
David DuKKKe was NEVER Congressman. He was elected to the Louisiana Legislature. Once. And by 100 votes. In 1989.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,410 times
Lakelady,

I have lived in Mandeville; have for nearly 10 years.
My wife was born and raised here.

I have also lived in Shreveport, Ruston, Alexandria, and Baton Rouge. I'm convinced that if you have to live in Louisiana, Mandeville is the place to live.

From my experiences, racism is not a big issue in Mandeville, however once you leave Mandeville/Covington and go out a bit further it most likely does become more of an issue. ("rednecks")

Some nice things... Mandeville is far enough from New Orleans to keep out the rift-raft, but not so far as to be inconvenient (many professional business people raise their family in Mandeville but work in New Orleans). Also, I can be at the N.O. airport in only 35 - 40 minutes.

We have good schools (although my wife and I homeschool), we have good churches, and we have nice parks.

Again, if you must be stuck in La, Mandeville is certainly one of the best choices.

Last edited by jase71ds; 07-25-2007 at 01:58 AM.. Reason: typos and clarification

Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,395 times
Default Back to the subject at hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Help! I need some honest advice. We are considering relocating from the Michigan to the New Orleans area, and I have some specific concerns regarding our family . . .

We are considering moving to the Mandeville or Madisonville areas because we want to live in a safe community with good schools. Is this a correct assumption?

Also, we are a young family (all kids under 7) formed by adoption. All of my children are multi-racial (white, black, and native american). Do communities like Mandeville or Madisonville have racial problems or undertones? Would we have a hard time being accepted in these communities.

Any thoughts? Anything else I should be concerned about?
I've lived in Covington for the past 3 years (technically, although I'm really closer to Mandeville). My family is bi-racial, although my kids are not yet old enough for grade school. IMHO, the Northshore is the best place to live in Louisiana. The public & private schools are excellent. Both Mandeville & Madisonville are extremely safe, especially Madisonville. Madisonville is a little bit more secluded & away from shopping/grocery stores.

In general, the Madisonville/Mandeville area is certainly very white, very conservative, & (consequently) somewhat close-minded. That doesn't necessarily translate into racist attitudes, but your family may get more weird looks than you may be used to (I moved here after living in Manhattan, San Fran, Los Angeles, & Rockville, Maryland, so it was a little jarring for me). It's not necessarily a race issue, since many of the residents here didn't like the large influx of white people from St. Bernard Parish after Hurricane Katrina, either (the bigoted Northshore residents consider people from St. Bernard to be "yats" & of a lower social class). Every community has its share of bigots, but, to be brutally honest, the Madisonville/Mandeville area certainly has a larger, more visible share than most other places I've visited or lived in (but they're still in the minority). To be fair, it does seem to be more an issue of closemindedness & lack of experience in dealing with other races, rather than true maliciousness. However, I don't think you'll have any problems making friends or fitting in. Despite everything I've said, there are PLENTY of friendly people here who are not racist & will welcome you to the area. Southerners really do live up to their reputation as being very friendly.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,047,348 times
Northshorer

This is the 21 st century. How in the world with as many creoles and sicilians in the New Orleans metro can people be racist

Old 08-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
David DuKKKe was NEVER Congressman. He was elected to the Louisiana Legislature. Once. And by 100 votes. In 1989.

You are right and wrong. He was a US Represenative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana